Chicago Public Library Archives. Harold Washington Library Center, Design Build Competition Records
Chicago Public Library
On January 31, 2021 DOCOMOMO US/Chicago gave an exclusive and all-new illustrated lecture on the decades-long battle to design and build a new Chicago Central Library, The largest municipal library in the U.S., what is now Harold Washington Library (HWLC) is also one of the largest public Postmodern buildings in the world.
Chicago Architectural Journal 7
Included in our illustrated lecture were many unknown and unpublished images of South State Street and the South Loop, including never-published high-resolution photographs showing the site of the current Harold Washington Library Center and the surrounding area going back more than 100 years.
Thank you to those who joined us for this exclusive event!
- CPL Webinar on Thursday, October 7, 2021 – The Competition for the Harold Washington Library Center: 30th Anniversary Commemoration!
- Chaddick Institute Webinar on Thursday, January 28, 2021: Revitalizing Chicago’s South Loop
- That Not-So-Great Street: State Street in Transition
- Forgotten Chicago 2018 Event & Tour Season
- Building New: 25 Years of the Harold Washington Library Center