Jewel Let's Go To the Races - Other Promotions

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jewel Let's Go To the Races - Other Promotions
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 07:25PM

Does anybody remember a promotion that Jewel ran in the late 60's called Let's Go To The Races. I don't remember any of the details. I believe you received some form of game card when shopping and then had to watch a program on Saturday night on WGN where they showed replays of a horse race.

I also remember in the early 60's they had a promotion where you would get a little plastic statue of a President. I think there may have also been some form of stand that look like stairs. I found out the feature was for seven weeks in 1964 where you were able to get a free President and the ability to purchase an additional four Presidents a week for a whopping 15 cents each.

Other promotions in the 60's were Super Bingo, Make Money and Royal Flush

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 07:50PM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Jewel Let's Go To the Races - Other Promotions
Posted by: abingdon (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 08:21PM

I recall a similar promotion in, I think, the 80's, but I believe it was Dominick's. I was a kid at the time and my mom used to give me the cards. If I remember correctly, the races were shown late Sunday afternoons. Don't recall ever winning a thing...

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2011 10:51PM

Oh my goodness I would never have remembered that 'races' promotion if you hadn't mentioned it here. I definitely remember it, but unfortunately, not the details, except for watching the horse race. I don't think it was Dominick's though, as we rarely if ever shopped at Dominick's. Mostly we went to the A&P or the National as well as the Jewel. Oh wait, that was the later one you said was Dominick's.

I do know about the presidents though. I have the full set of them, plus the stand. It is some kind of a white plastic material and they are circular steps that I always thought of as the Capitol Building. If I remember correctly, there are columns along the back top step, which is more of a platform really. Each president is painted - as in the color of their suit and their hair, etc. They aren't just plain white. I think the most recent President would have been Nixon or maybe it was Johnson. I don't know, they are packed away in the basement somewhere. I used to have it displayed on a shelf in my room.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-69-96-206.myvzw.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 07:23PM

I would not have remembered the "Lets go to the Races" either! Thank you, Kchi! My parents would sit in front of the TV with their game card for the race. We never won anything, though. I also have those plastic presidents somewhere. If I come across them, I'll post a photo. Thanks so much for the memory jog!

AD:

Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 04:24PM

I WON $25 BUCKS AT THIS! A BLAST FOR A LITTLE KID!

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2011 02:06AM

The show was on WGN Channel 9

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: January 15, 2011 07:22PM

There's some talk of it here:

"I'm not sure who ran this in Chicago in the late 60's or early 70's but it ran on VHF, so it was probably WGN.
We got the cards at the Jewel supermarket, and the shows ran on saturday night.
I know it was VHF because we didn't get a UHF TV ( Zenith Chromacolor II transistor/tube hybrid ) until Christmas of 1973."

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=126581.30

And also from this blog:

..."As a seven-year-old, I would be glued to WGN-TV to listen to Jack Drees call the races for the Jewel Food Store sponsored “Let’s Go to the Races” and see if our scratch off cards would be winners..."

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/12/02/fueling-my-fire/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 07:30PM by bowler.

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: January 15, 2011 07:33PM

I think this nails it. Check out the photo of a Jewel store in Chicago from 1966 from this blog. In the window you can clearly see "Let's Go To The Races":

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2008/05/gotta-stop-at-jewels.html

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-163.myvzw.com)
Date: January 16, 2011 12:17AM

Awesome photo! What a great find, bowler. I wonder if this is the old Jewel/Osco that was at 6209 W. North Avenue which is now a "Fresh Market."

AD:

Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2011 09:52PM

bowler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's some talk of it here:
>
> "I'm not sure who ran this in Chicago in the late
> 60's or early 70's but it ran on VHF, so it was
> probably WGN.
> We got the cards at the Jewel supermarket, and the
> shows ran on saturday night.
> I know it was VHF because we didn't get a UHF TV (
> Zenith Chromacolor II transistor/tube hybrid )
> until Christmas of 1973."
>
>
> http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=1
> 26581.30
>
>
> And also from this blog:
>
> ..."As a seven-year-old, I would be glued to
> WGN-TV to listen to Jack Drees call the races for
> the Jewel Food Store sponsored “Let’s Go to
> the Races” and see if our scratch off cards
> would be winners..."
>
> http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/12/02/fueling-m
> y-fire/

First link doesn't work.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2011 10:48PM

Strange, the link works for me in bowler's post, but not in MIKETOUHY's

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2011 11:55PM

Bowler, neat photo with the races sign. I also noticed the low, low prices on the signs. Didn't know Jewel had any stores with rooftop parking.

AD:

Posted by: chipandkathy (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2011 02:51PM

I remember collecting the presidents. Thought the stand and the columns were styrofoam...

AD:

Posted by: sbaer311 (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 04:03PM

Yes, wish I still had those president's. They also had coupons in the paper and you could get a different mini glass bottle each week for 10cents or so. I still have 8 of the bottles with the mini cork in them! What fun!

AD:

Posted by: Archer and Homan (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 11:38AM

Does anyone remember when Jewel gave away color pictures of the Sox and Cubs? We shopped at the Jewel's on 45th and Kedzie and I remember collecting these pictures in the early and mid-70s.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2011 01:50PM

Sbaer311 refered to mini bottles. In 1972 Jewel was offering 6 free "mini-editions" of classic American bottles, one each week for six weeks. In addition you were able to buy other 6" bottles for 39 cents or 9" bottles for 99 cents. A package of 12 minature authentic toppers cost 9 cents. A package or corks for the six and nine inch bottles cost 19 cents.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2011 01:59PM

The Cub and White Sox pictures were given away in July of 1977. One picture with a 5 dollar purchase with a limit of four. The ad mentions that there were only 600,000 so it was while supplies lasted. In addition it states the pictures were to be given away as stacked. No specific players could be requested.

Weeks one had Biitner,Reuschel,De Jesus,Burris,Johnson,Lemon,Zisk and Garr.

AD:

Posted by: cbtrainman (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 11:13PM

I understand there was some kind of Jewel T promotion in the early fifties where a tin train cars were used as promotions. Does anyone have information about this promotion?
thanks,

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 02:34AM

My grandmother had the President set-I believe she had all of them, but not the stand. She had a bunch of old toys in her basement, which was the kids' playroom for when we'd visit. In retrospect a lot of them were vintage stuff from the fifties through to the early seventies. I've no idea what became of any of it, though.

AD:

Posted by: Patti134000@yahoo.com (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 02:53PM

I remember both Let's Go to the Races, it was on Saturday night, WGN, we had a few small winners. I also remember the President Statues. My neighbor collected them all and the styrofoam stand! But what I remember the most was Jewel either selling or giving away art work prints, sutible for framing. I would love to see them again,but I can't find them on the internet. If anyone has them, you can attch photos to an email. Patti134000@yahoo.com

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact