Northwest Tower - Milwaukee & North

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Northwest Tower - Milwaukee & North
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 10:58AM

I am trying to find out as much information as I can for the Northwest Tower building at Milwaukee & North. I found a announcement in the Chicago Tribune announcing the construction of a 12 story building to be completed by April 1,1929. The article mentions a Noel State bank but doesn't mention whether or not they were developing it for occupancy or for investment.

http://quicksearch.chipublib.org/cgi-bin/cpl-gr.pl?url=http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=456718812&sid=4&Fmt=10&clientId=11417&RQT=309&VName=HNP

However, I can't find much other information. The Wikipedia article gives very little additional iformation

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Northwest_Tower

I remember in the 60s there were still some doctor's and other offices in the building and some other businesses like a eye care and hairdresser on the first floor but obviously the building was already in decline.

Having a 12 story building other than downtown is unusual and I assume that at one time this was a premium location. The fact that it was to open at the start of the depression, did the building ever live up to it's expectations?

Does anybody have any information or memories of what the building may have been like in the 30s or 40s?

Passing the building many times over the years on the "L", the building appears to be quite empty. What is the building used for nnow? What is the occupancy rate.

The last information I have seen was that the owner wanted to make it into a hotel, but that failed and the buildinng was in foreclosure.
Any information would be appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 11:11AM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Northwest Tower - Milwaukee & North
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 12:19PM

Found out that Noel State Bank was located at the opposite corner of the intersection at Milwaukee and Damen (1601 N. Milwaukee)

The bank closed on 6/19/1931 due to heavy withdrawals.

Just as today there were a number of articles about lawyers fees and expenses eating into and dividends received by depositors. As late as 1942 11 years later, a article mentions that the old depositors eventually received up to 37 cents of their original deposit.

The building was sold to Fairfield Savings in 1942 ad operated there for many years.

Anybody know what the building is being used for now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 12:23PM by Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-88.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 02:56PM

There is another thread on the topic of Noel State Bank under the "Questions and Answers" section, page 3, of the forum list. I've always wondered about the history of the Northwest Tower building too having passed by it nearly every day when I rode the Blue Line, even before it was called the Blue Line.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: November 15, 2010 04:20PM

Here's the link to the Noel State bank discussed in the Q&A section:

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/5/3272/noel_state_bank_-_info_request

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 05:33PM

"The best expression of the office towers in the Milwaukee Avenue District–and certainly one of
the best neighborhood office building in Chicago–is the Northwest Tower at 1606 N.
Milwaukee Ave. Built in 1928 at the northeast corner of Milwaukee and North Avenues, this
speculative office tower was designed by the architecture firm of Perkins, Chatten, &
Hammond. At 12-stories, the limestone-clad tower was built to the maximum height allowed by
the zoning code, resulting in a contemporary headline on the completion of the tower that read
“the skyscraper leaves the Loop.” Each office space had windows, and was served with water,
electricity, gas, compressed air (for dental offices), and a central vacuum. Bronze, marble and
mosaic finishes decorated the lobby. The Northwest Tower was marketed to physicians,
dentists, and lawyers who were assured of easy access to transportation (located next to the
Damen Avenue elevated train stop) and a large neighborhood population in need of professional
services. The small rooftop tower and bronze lantern serve as a prominent visual landmark at
the northern end of the district.
Financing for the tower was provided by the Noel State Bank, which had its first building on the
site of the tower before moving to the bank building at 1601 N. Milwaukee Avenue in 1919."

Found this in http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/zlup/Historic_Preservation/Publications/Milwaukee_Ave_Dist.pdf. Takes a while to upload but there is a lot of info on Wicker Park, Milwaukee Ave., etc. Even some history of the Wiebolt's store in the neighborhood.

I have mixed memories of this location as our dentist had offices in the Tower. In the '50's my mom and I would travel on the "L" to the bank (now Fairfield Savings & Loan) to transact some business in the vault box dept. Then I was marched into the Tower building to see the dentist--ugh.

Later, in the '70s I got a part-time job while in college at Fairfield. It lasted over 3 years and I had a great time working there.

And my mom worked in the Wiebolt's store in the '40s before she married and ended up working in the small grocery store my dad and his family owned kitty corner from St. Hedwig's Church on Hoyne and Webster.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 05:52PM by fleurblue.

AD:

Date: November 15, 2010 06:33PM

fleurblue - thanks for the great story and the link.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 07:08PM

Daveg, you're welcome!

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-88.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 07:52PM

Thanks for the link back to the other thread, daveg and thanks for the interesting info on the history of the building, fleurblue. Sorry about the dentist memories... great story, though!

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 11:47AM

Link to a Crain's article Mar 3,2010 with a picture of the building and the story of the owner trying to convert the building to a 90 room hotel and the foreclosure of the property.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=9999200037295

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 02:43PM by Kchi.

AD:

Date: November 16, 2010 01:23PM

Thanks for the link Kchi. Too bad the building is owner troubled and half occupied. With that area boomin' these days one wonders why someone with a good idea and $$ can't make it a showcase for that area.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 12:53PM

u

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 01, 2016 04:53PM

btt

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact