Kenwood Line Embankment

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Kenwood Line Embankment
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: December 02, 2011 03:20PM

Hey folks, its been a while since I posted here, good to be back!

As i was going through the Chicago-L website and reading and viewing the Kenwood Line, I started to wonder, has anyone actually gone up onto the embankment and seen whats on there? Are the tracks intact, or areas of the old stations intact? Has anyone explored the tops?

I know it's probably a dangerous or at least, tough, thing to attempt, (as well as the neighborhoods it runs through) but do any of you know someone or somewhere that has pictures up on top of the embankments? It really peaks my curiosity and i dream to be able to go up there and see if anything still exists up there, like the rails or "3rd" rail, or even possible entrances to the bricked up stations.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Kenwood Line Embankment
Date: December 02, 2011 03:21PM

And yes I have seen the pictures taken from ground level, but I have yet to see any taken from the embankments themselves.

AD:

Posted by: kiernansanders ()
Date: December 02, 2011 09:34PM

I've been pondering doing that for a while, but I haven't yet. I have read though that they sealed the station entrances up on the embankment as well as on the street level. Come this spring I will probably look around for some way to climb up there and check it out!

AD:

Posted by: Brule Laker ()
Date: December 02, 2011 11:30PM

I've shot from the street recently at all of the stations. The tracks are still up there but I don't know if there are any entry points. There was talk a few years ago to do what is being done with the Bloomingdale Trail but the city wasn't interested.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: December 03, 2011 10:57AM

My dad says he remembers riding this line a few years before it was abandoned. I would love to see what's up there, since it looks like all the bridges are gone it be tough. You would probably need an extension ladder to climb every section of embankment, man, if I still lived in Chicago I'd probably be game to do a little covert exploring! As kids we would explore all the railroads we could find!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: December 03, 2011 12:52PM

I would love to know what that shed-type structure is on the embankment at 40th & Calumet!

AD:

Date: December 04, 2011 10:59PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to know what that shed-type structure
> is on the embankment at 40th & Calumet!

I wonder if this is the "warehouse" from Chicago-l.org
Ownership of the right-of-way was assumed by a number of railroads over the years, including the Penn Central, Conrail, and CSX. Penn Central occasionally used the line as far east as King Drive to access a warehouse as late as the early 1980s, when the warehouse closed and the tracks east of the Rock Island (near Federal Street) were removed. Any freight traffic over the section formally shared with the Kenwood has long since ceased, through some of the same line to the west is still used by CSX and Canadian National (the bridges over the Dan Ryan Expressway are between Pershing Road and Root Street).

Kind of strange if the warehouse was on the embankment, unless it was used by the railroad. Looks like on google most of the bridges up to that point are still intact. (unless they have removed them since.)

AD:

Date: December 05, 2011 07:52PM

222psm, I know what you mean. I just love old railroad tracks. I'm sad to see them go away and get torn up and removed. I wish they would just leave the Bloomingdale line the way it is and not "beautify" it.

That is the same structure on 40th and Calumet, and it looks like its just off the tracks. I would just love to go and check it out.

Brule Laker
Is it a rough area to be in during the day?

AD:

Date: December 06, 2011 10:31PM

I've shot at all of the north/south streets where there were former stations (and some west of Indiana) during the day and haven't had any problems. I also walked around some the neighborhoods, and people are very friendly. In fact, almost all will either say hello or nod, which is more than I can say about the North Side neighborhoods.

AD:

Date: December 06, 2011 10:48PM

Ivan/psm:

The Chicago-L Web site as a fairly recent photo stating it was probably a freight depot for the old Chicago Junction Railroad. Kenwood line originated just west at Indiana and the first L station, at South Parkway/King Drive, was just to the east.

AD:

Date: December 07, 2011 01:58PM

I did see that as well. Its simply amazing they would just leave it up there like that.

Now that makes me really want to go climb up and take a look.

AD:

Date: December 10, 2011 11:32PM

CrazyIvan25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 222psm, I know what you mean. I just love old
> railroad tracks. I'm sad to see them go away and
> get torn up and removed. I wish they would just
> leave the Bloomingdale line the way it is and not
> "beautify" it.
>
> That is the same structure on 40th and Calumet,
> and it looks like its just off the tracks. I
> would just love to go and check it out.
>
>
> Brule Laker
> Is it a rough area to be in during the day?

I know what you mean as far as the Bloomingdale line. But I rather them make it a park and keep some of the railroad aspect, than completely tear it down. Kind of what they did with the Highline in New York. Don't know what it is with railroads, I'm just fascinated with them.

AD:

Posted by: CE Carter ()
Date: November 04, 2012 08:48PM

Most of the rails on the old Kenwood Line are still in place but covered over by heavy over-growth. The end-of-the line terminal at 42nd Place and Oakenwald Ave is long gone. According to the CTA, The Kenwood line was discontinued in December of 1957. The entire 42nd Place terminal yard was demolished shortly there after by 1962 to make way for the construction of three public housing 16-story high-rise projects (affectionately known as "The Horseshoe" because these three high rise buildings circled their joint-use playground area).

[There is a scene in the movie "Mahogany" with Diana Ross, where her character comes home from work only to find the character portrayed by Billy D Williams out in the middle of the street with a bull horn informing residents of a voter registration drive at the near-by Oakenwald School. In the background of the camera shot of Billy D Williams is one of the buildings of "The Horseshoe." Out of the camera shot behind him is a row of houses and behind them, the now defunct CTA Kenwood Line.]

The concrete embankment on 41st street, from Lake Park east to the Illinois Central tracks, stood between these high rise buildings and the Oakenwald Elementary School -which occupied the north side of 41st street between Lake Park and Oakenwald Ave.

This concrete embankment on 41st street became the defacto "gang turf border line" between Jeff Fort and the Black P Stone Rangers (to the north), and Larry Hoover and the Devil's Disciples (some of whose members, along with one David Barksdale) lived in and around the "Horseshoe" projects between 41st and 42nd street.

Community activism eventually got the city to demolish this concrete embankment to remove gang-related tensions in the neighborhood. Heading west, the embankments between Lake Park and Ellis, and Ellis and Drexel are still there -although they were also a part of the defacto turf border, and contributed to the heightening of the street gang violence throughout the 1970s.

Due to housing developments, the embankment from Drexel west to Cottage Grove was removed many years ago. The embankments from Cottage Grove west to ML King Drive and from ML King Drive west to Indiana Ave., are still standing.

Street gang violence in this Oakland community has been diminished almost to the point of non-existence. The former gang leaders, Jeff Fort and Larry Hoover, will probably die in federal prison. David Barksdale has been dead for decades.

Demolition of the Oakenwald Elementary school and nearby dilapidated housing, and the ceremonial TNT-razing of the high-rise projects of the "Horseshoe" and at 4040 So. Oakenwald Ave., paved the way for construction of more urbane and upscale townhouses and condos -well beyond the financial grasp of former residents uprooted by the massive demolition campaign who might have dreamed of returning to their old neighborhood.

Today, the danger of getting caught up in the cross-fire of a street gang turf war is very unlikely. The complexion of this neighborhood (no pun intended) has been drastically changed.

An exploration of the tops of these still-existing embankments will probably reveal rusted out rails, rotting wooden pilings and a jungle of overgrowth. Without a permit, you might attract the attention of the police. This is, still, City property. Good luck.

AD:

Date: November 04, 2012 10:05PM

Wow, CE thank you so much for the detailed information. I did not realize that a part of the embankment between 41st and 42 nd had been removed.

I knew about the section between Drexel and Cottage Grove, it's funny or lucky that back in the day we did so much exploring that not once we where stopped or questioned by the police.

But now, post 9/11 especially on active railroads I'm sure it's not as easy.

AD:

Posted by: CE Carter ()
Date: November 05, 2012 02:42AM

CrazyIvan,
Climbing on top of the Kenwood Line embankments will be an adventure, to say the least. You're talking about a rail system that has been abandoned for 55 years! Check out www.Chicago-L.org then access the Kenwood Branch. The modern-day photos are startling.

AD:

Date: November 20, 2012 01:42PM

Wow! CE thank you for the detailed response too! I thought this thread was just going to be forgotten! :)

I have read the Chicago-l.org website on it and that is what got me thinking about possibly going up there. How would I even get a permit to climb up on to it? I was just worried about any street crime or such but you have alleviated some fears too!

I do enjoy the pictures of the ground level as well! But the tops are my goal to see next. I just hope I can do it without trouble!

AD:

Date: November 21, 2012 04:15PM

Does anyone know how or if it is even possible to get a permit to do something like this legally or without getting into trouble, just in case? Or at least some sort of permission?

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: November 21, 2012 05:10PM

It's a very long shot, but you might check with the alderman's office for some sort of permission. Good luck!

AD:

Date: November 21, 2012 06:06PM

Now that is a good idea actually! If they are worried about any liabilities, hell, I'll tell em Im accepting all responsibilities for my actions.

AD:

Date: November 25, 2012 05:26PM

Are the entrances from the top of the old stations still accessible or are they also covered up or filled in like the ground level entrances?

AD:

Date: November 25, 2012 09:50PM

I read somewhere that they were covered with metal plates, that would be awesome to get inside one of the stations. If you do go up there get lots of pictures and please post, if I still lived in Chicago I'd join you CrazyIvan!

AD:

Date: November 26, 2012 07:55PM

Oh yeah! It would be tough to move them, if they havent been already. That would be something if its possible to get inside. Some people want to vandalize things like this, or cause trouble. Me? I want to explore and discover something awesome and satisfy my curiosity!

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: March 10, 2013 12:36AM

The property is stll owned by the successor to the Chicago Junction RR and is definitely private property with all that implies for trespassing. Ifyou want to get a look at the top of the embankment try Goggle Maps with a tight setting. There is alot of growth including trees but some things are visible.

AD:

Date: March 22, 2013 11:58PM

Related to the Kenwood line, there is a three part railroad bridge over the Ryan Expressway. It comes from the South to the West and from the North to the West both of those are still in use. Then there is a middle bridge that is right in the middle and goes straight East to West. That is the old crossing of the Chicago Junction and it is out of service with the rails removed. From there East several Chicao Junction street crossing bridges still exist. I can imagine that they may be a way to reach the Western portion of the elevated right-of-way that would include part of the Kenwood L line. But again be very careful, this would be pure trespassing on property that is still railroad owned.

AD:

Date: April 17, 2013 01:57AM

Related to that shed structure at 40th and Calumet, it is actually on the side of the embankment that was for the Kenwood line tracks. It is made of metal and has a pole sticking out of the roof that has some cutoff wires. It definitely does not relate to the Kenwood line since it sits right in the middle of what would have been the right-of-way for the Kenwood line. It is likely something that the Chicago Terminal RR used at some time. The street bridge is still in for the RR over Calumet as well as an alley to the East of there. It is the only alley bridge that I know of anywhere on the embankment.

I would again strongly recommend against going up onto the embankment it is both dangerous and illegal.

AD:

Posted by: kiernansanders ()
Date: September 30, 2013 12:37PM

I've actually been wanting to climb and explore these embankments for quite some time - if I ever get the guts to do it I'll report on what it's like!

AD:

Posted by: Sit and Stew ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:06PM

I've been wanting in on this one too for a long time. That concrete goes back to 1906-1907, and I want to know how much original track is left or if there are any remnants. I'm big into embankments and viaducts, and anything you find out there has been forgotten for 55 years..

AD:

Date: October 15, 2013 02:28PM

Im thinking of doing a photo-recon first sometime soon, just to get an idea of where would there be good points to look at and where the stations are located.

AD:

Date: October 28, 2013 12:32PM

I went for a ride this weekend to get a feel of the land, and got a good idea of the heights of the embankments and the look of things. I noticed a bricked tunnel opening on the south side of the Vincennes station area, and I don't know if it was another opening for the stations or what.

also I am considering writing or going in person to the Alderman's office and asking for some sort of permission to go up there. Do any of you have any pointers on just how I should ask them about it? I don't want to sound like a idiot or some yahoo when I ask for permission and get shot down. How can I ask properly to get permission and not have them shut the door in my face?

AD:

Date: October 28, 2013 12:40PM

And for posterity's sake, I am not some yahoo that wants to vandalize, steal, or act like an idiot and get hurt trying to do this. Last thing I want to do is to ruin a chance to explore something that few if any have seen in over 50 years and give urban explorers another black eye.

Is there a way to explain to the alderman that I will take full responsibility for my actions, and wave all rights if I hurt myself? I am not in the business to make money from this cash strapped city, and I am not in the mood for filing lawsuits for any accidents that may occur because of my carelessness. Is there a way to tell them that I am responsible for my actions and that they take no responsibility legally?

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact