Kenwood Line Embankment

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Kenwood Line Embankment
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 12:47PM

Also if any of the experienced members or those that know how this "politics" game is played have any input it would be most helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: October 30, 2013 01:33AM

You're not going to get permission from the alderman's office. I'm not even sure it's city property. But even if it is, [i]official permission[/i] would require months of discussion among CDOT, the Law Department, and who knows who else. They've got lots of other things to worry about.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:33PM

CrazyIvan25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And for posterity's sake, I am not some yahoo that
> wants to vandalize, steal, or act like an idiot
> and get hurt trying to do this. Last thing I want
> to do is to ruin a chance to explore something
> that few if any have seen in over 50 years and
> give urban explorers another black eye.
>
> Is there a way to explain to the alderman that I
> will take full responsibility for my actions, and
> wave all rights if I hurt myself? I am not in the
> business to make money from this cash strapped
> city, and I am not in the mood for filing lawsuits
> for any accidents that may occur because of my
> carelessness. Is there a way to tell them that I
> am responsible for my actions and that they take
> no responsibility legally?

Probably not. But good luck, anyway.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:20PM

Who actually owns the land now - the city or the CTA? I wouldn't think the alderman would really care.

AD:

Date: October 30, 2013 10:51PM

[bI would just do it and let the tree fall. But that's just me.. I am sure at least kids go up there without some kind of permision.][/b]

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: October 31, 2013 09:32AM

Yea, I don't think you'll get official permission. Urban explorers just do it covertly, that's the way we did it.

AD:

Date: November 01, 2013 04:25PM

i would do it covertly, but its gonna be kinda hard setting up a ladder and running it up quick without being seen or attracting attention.n The lowest points are on the edges where the viaducts used to be. So that is why im trying the diplomatic route, but if not, I'l just have to do an early bird before dawn run and be out of sight. I have a folding ladder that should extend to 10 ft, which should be enough, and its light enough to get pulled up after. But again, the worst part is setting it up and running up the side.

AD:

Date: November 02, 2013 09:37AM

Good luck! post the pics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 09:40AM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: November 02, 2013 09:38AM

davey7 Wrote:
> Who actually owns the land now - the city or the
> CTA? I wouldn't think the alderman would really
> care.

I wounder that myself, I read some where that CSX was the last rail road to run trains on it.

AD:

Date: November 04, 2013 12:50PM

I guess I may have to contact CSX as well and see if they know! Boy oh boy this is gonna be complicated

AD:

Date: November 04, 2013 02:47PM

Well here goes nothing! Fired off an email to the 4th Alderman's offices. Fingers crossed I get a good response

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: November 04, 2013 05:05PM

Your chances of getting a favorable response, or any response for that matter, is likely to be zero. Your chances of getting harmed while exploring that area are much better.

AD:

Date: November 04, 2013 05:08PM

I know the risks, but hey, this isn't the first time I've gone exploring! Plus it is not like I'm just going to walk in without any precautions or safety measures.

I may stop by the Ward office as well, and have a face to face. Who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 05:11PM by CrazyIvan25.

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: November 21, 2013 01:49AM

Once again, to the best of my knowledge the Kenwood Embankment is still the property of the last successor to the Chicago Junction Railroad which is CSX. The embankment is NOT the property of the City of Chicago and an alderman would have nothing to do with any access issues or permissions. I would extremely doubt that any kind of permission to access the Embankment would be forthcoming from CSX, even if one could find out who to ask. Businesses do not and cannot waive their liability for someone to enter upon private property.

AD:

Date: November 25, 2013 04:25PM

I'm surprised that the embankment east of the existing line isn't CTA/CoC property.

AD:

Date: November 25, 2013 08:56PM

[b]I'm getting curious and I may just go up there myself. I would like to go inside and see what's there in the station house also.[/b]

AD:

Date: November 29, 2013 12:01AM

Not sure why I keep coming back to this post to help some of you stay out of trouble. But here goes again,first there is a heavy police presence in this area because as it has changed, the "new residents" demand a safe community. One's chance of being seen by the police or being reported to them is very good; and you will be arrested for what is clear trespassing on private property. Second, none of the embankment is City property or CTA property. The CTA and before it the other transit companies never owned the Kenwood El right-of-way, it was leased from the Chicago Junction RR. It is now owned by CSX, and as any railfan can tell you they are NOT friendly when it comes to entry onto their property. As a REAL railroad and transit fan, I am trying to appear to some common sense to stay away from where you don't belong and instead enjoy all of the pictures and information about the Kenwood El and the embankment that one can find on Chicago "L".org.

AD:

Date: December 02, 2013 12:03AM

[b]OK keep us informed[/b]

AD:

Date: December 02, 2013 03:57PM

It looks like most of the embankment east of the green line has been purchased as part of surrounding parcels according to the CoC (City of Chicago) zoning maps.

AD:

Date: December 03, 2013 01:22PM

so davy7 who do i contact? Should i continue with going to alderman's office or should i just say to hell with it and sneak up? The worst part is getting up there easily and the best way would be to use a folding ladder. Thats the hard part, setting it up scurrying up and then pulling it up behind us without anyone noticing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 02:08PM by CrazyIvan25.

AD:

Date: December 03, 2013 03:02PM

You are right davy, it doesn't appear to be owned by anyone but the city.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: December 03, 2013 04:56PM

Crazylvan, you need a partner to drop you off and set up the ladder, remove it and then come back for you as well. He can hold the bail money if anything goes wrong as well. LOL

AD:

Date: December 03, 2013 05:59PM

No idea - it also looks like some of it has been cut up into lots. I suspect in places you can just climb up. Do it like early Sunday morning or something when you look "above the board" as it were.

Good luck and post pictures!

CrazyIvan25 Wrote:
> so davy7 who do i contact? Should i continue with
> going to alderman's office or should i just say to
> hell with it and sneak up? The worst part is
> getting up there easily and the best way would be
> to use a folding ladder. Thats the hard part,
> setting it up scurrying up and then pulling it up
> behind us without anyone noticing!

AD:

Date: December 05, 2013 02:55PM

you are so right rjmachon. I was thinking that too! lol but I need back up going up there.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2013 03:01PM

Davey, yeah that is what I was thinking. Early Saturday or Sunday morning, before the sun gets up and it is still dark out. also I have a ton of cammo outfits too lol

AD:

Date: December 06, 2013 11:23PM

Time for a bit of correction. When the embankment was originally built it was the Chicago Junction (CJ) RR who did it in response to a city ordinance requiring that railroads elevate their tracks and eliminate street crossings. At the same time the embankment was built wide-enough to accommodate a branch line of the Elevated System that was named the Kenwood Branch. The CJ was one of two railroads that provided access to the Union Stockyards. The other railroad was the Chicago River and Indiana (CRI). These two shortline railroads were consolidated under the CRI name and both were owned by the New York Central Railroad. Later New York Central merged with The Pennsylvania RR to form Penn Central. The Penn Central was one of the major railroads that were merged into Conrail. When Conrail was broken up between CSX and Norfolk Southern (NS) the small piece of what was left of the railroad which had originally served the Union Stockyards went to Norfolk Southern not CSX. So, that means that the embankment property is shown on current railroad maps as CRI(NS), abandoned right-of-way. As sections of the embankment have been removed and the land redeveloped the sale was between the owner railroad at the time and the developer. Once again the remaining embankment property is private property of Norfolk Southern RR and trespass at your own risk.

AD:

Date: December 09, 2013 11:43AM

business 7007 where can i find a free map that depicts the railroad row ownerships?

Also, I would think that it is a similar situation to the abandoned row on the northside of Chicago that goes through the Labaugh Woods. They are abandoned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 12:22PM by CrazyIvan25.

AD:

Date: December 09, 2013 02:25PM

Does anyone here know of anybody that took a picture inside the gated section of the kenwood line here:

It used to be gated, but now has a wooden barricade over the entry.

AD:

Date: December 14, 2013 10:56PM

[b]By the picture it looks like a door is opened. If I were younger I would go in and on the top also.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: December 16, 2013 01:36PM

Having followed this thread, I was inspired to look at www.chicago-l.org this weekend, and noted from the pictures they do have of one of the Kenwood stations that they were spartan, except for the woodwork and plaster walls. I'm surprised the Chicago Junction bothered, since an all-concrete station would have been more robust and probably less expensive. If you were to get a look under the plates covering the staiway at one of the locations, you'd probably find very little to look at, and most of it would be in poor shape.

I also looked at the route from on high with Google Maps, and I noticed that the top of the embankment is quite overgrown, so I suspect that all rails, platforms, etc., were removed. The platform bases might still be there, since they were concrete, although who knows. And then I got any idea that might give one access to find out whats left. Since the embankment almost goes to the lakefront (actually more like Williams-Davis Park, where the terminal used to be) it might be a fair candidate for an elevated hiking trail, like what is planned for the Bloomingdale Line. I don't recall if this is one of the old rail lines being so considered, and there is a block-long portion that was removed east of Cottage Grove for new housing, but it would be a good candidate. The stations were so simple, that you could rework them as ramp locations, reworking the abiutment face, removing the old stairs, and the platform base. The supporting structure could probably accommodate the lighter enclosed pedestrian bridges where the viaducts have been removed, and the fact that there are high retaining walls means that fencing the path would be easy.

At least, you could say you were scouting out such and idea, if you were caught snooping around.

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact