preservation in chicago... research help

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
preservation in chicago... research help
Posted by: victorianhorror ()
Date: November 05, 2011 02:08PM

Hello everyone,
I am a student at NEIU and I'm doing a research on historic preservation in Chicago. I am jumping into this as an outsider (I am very interested in preservation, but this is the first time I'll be researching it formally).
As a requirement, I not only need to research articles, books, websites, etc. but I also need to "interview" experts in the field. I have set up a few interviews already, but would appreciate it if anyone has any information on who would be good to talk to...
[b]or[/b] (and this would also help me greatly) if anyone has any thoughts on the current state of preservation in the city, or opinions on why preservation is important, I can use your input. Answers in the forum, or messages, are totally adequate for what I'm looking for, I just need some opinions from people in the know.
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: preservation in chicago... research help
Posted by: jd ()
Date: November 05, 2011 05:19PM

Try getting in tough with Gunny Harboe. He is Chicago's leading preservationist.

http://www.architectmagazine.com/preservation/the-preservationist.aspx

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: November 06, 2011 01:46PM

Go to the home page of this site and read some (or all) of the articles. From that, decide if you'd like to contact some of the authors for their advice. In fact, one of the FC crew is a recent graduate of NEIU.

Good luck. Fascinating subject BTW.

AD:

Posted by: victorianhorror ()
Date: November 06, 2011 04:36PM

Thanks daveg and jd for your suggestions, I'm in the middle of reading everything on here and other preservation sites. It's overwhelming but very interesting, I'm finding myself distracted by all of the facts I'm learning! At this rate I could write 10 papers on this instead of one, I'm in the process of narrowing down my focus.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: November 07, 2011 12:21PM

Also contact the Art Deco Society of Chicago (CADS) - they are and have been involved in preservation as well.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: November 07, 2011 08:59PM

Vince Michael teaches historic preservation and is active in several organizations. His website is http://vincemichael.wordpress.com. He can probably put you in touch with other people as well.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact