German Bakeries 1900 - 40's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
German Bakeries 1900 - 40's
Posted by: garden_bugger ()
Date: October 19, 2011 12:43AM

I was trying to find information on German bakeries in Chicago - locations, names, etc.. Does anyone know a good source to research this?
TX - Sue

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: German Bakeries 1900 - 40's
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: October 19, 2011 02:14AM

Check with the folks at the DANK-Haus Center at Lawrence and Western. They've got an exhibit on German-American Chicago that is pretty great. I'm sure someone there can help you out.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: October 31, 2011 08:49PM

WayOutWardell, The person I talked with said that Dank-haus center has no records of bakeries of the past.Possibly an organization like the sons of germany.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: November 01, 2011 06:34PM

I can think of 2 that were on the southside: Dressels, in Bridgeport, on Emerald or Union, I think. In my family a cake from Dressels was always a birghday treat. The other, if memory serves me correctly, was Schmitz in the 55 or 56 hundred block of Ashland. There is still what I believe is German bakery in Evergreen Park, Wolf's, just west of Kedzie on the south side of 95th Street. Wolf's has great baked goods by the way.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact