Roller rinks

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Roller rinks
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 21, 2015 10:40PM

We went to the Planet and the Swank. I can hear Plantation Boogie playing right now. Ha! Ha! We also went to St Basil when we were younger and a bunch of us from St Michaels would go to St Joe & St Ann on Friday nights.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Hugh ()
Date: February 11, 2015 08:06AM

The Rainbo was another one. It use to be an old club on Clark, just north of Lawrence, that played a lot of big acts like the Big Bands. I found out that The Who played there as well and I'm sure a lot of famous acts played there. I think it use to be a big dance hall as well. I roller skated there once back in the 80's. It was quite a big place. I did not know of it's past during that time. They tore it down a few years ago and put up a couple of 'modern design' buildings. Shame Chicago doesn't try to save it's richly historical established institutions.

AD:

Posted by: Longford ()
Date: February 12, 2015 02:21AM

As a kid on the southside, we skated at a rink at 76th & S. Racine AVe. I think it was called the "Planet," or some such similar name.

AD:

Date: February 12, 2015 11:35PM

[b]How about the Hub about 4000 n harlem? itwas the worlds largest roller rink. About a block long inside.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: April 21, 2015 06:24PM

Spent every weekend at Riverview Rink back in the late 40s and the 50s. Best organ player around. But i'll bet nobody remembers Hollywood roller rink on Kedzie ave north of Lawrence ??

AD:

Posted by: skj ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:50PM

The Planet. Can still hear the Hammond organ.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 13, 2015 03:29AM

Riverview on Belmont west of Western. It was across the river from Riverview amusement park on Western.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 27, 2016 02:25PM

I was up in Chicago over Thanksgiving and visited the former site of Madison Gardens Rink and the neighborhood. I see that the site is now occupied by Johnny's IceHouse West...a hockey training rink and serves as the primary Chicago Blackhawk training center.

I would be interested in rink floor size of those old-time chicago rinks. I assume Roller Bowl and Arcadia were huge while a rink like Madison Gardens was middle of the road.

Anyone have a feel for that topic?

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact