Roller rinks

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Roller rinks
Date: March 01, 2010 01:12AM

[b]What was your favorite roller rink? The planet 73rd & racine, the swank 111th & western or the Hub 3500 n. harlem. What was the one on Madison street?[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Roller rinks
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: March 01, 2010 01:51PM

Since I grew up on the far Northwest Side, I would have to say the Hub! However, I'd love to see some old photos of any or all of these rinks. There was also the Rainbo Roller Rink at 4812 N. Clark which had a very colorful, no pun intended, history even before it became a roller rink. See link below...

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown,_Chicago]Rainbo[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 01:52PM by shekaago.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: March 01, 2010 03:24PM

used to go to Oak Lawn roller rink (now sadly replaced with a Hooters) every saturday when i was about 12-13.
the first rink i ever went to was the Fleetwood (still there) - my best friend and i didn't even know how to skate, we were about 8 and all we did was grip the handrails and scuttle sideways, gingerly.
lol. how far we come.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: March 01, 2010 07:57PM

Actually, the Oak Lawn rink was across the street from where Hooters is now. Hooters was the Dairy Basket and next to that was a cleaners. The rink was actually located on the site of a now-shuttered Saturn dealership. I only drive by there every day and still, I had a hard time trying to picture that stretch of road in my mind! So crow, you are close, just across that side street. There is an Oak Lawn Roller Rink group on Facebook actually with some pictures.

AD:

Date: March 01, 2010 09:46PM

oooh, you're right. dairy basket was next up on cicero. we were in that place every other day.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: March 01, 2010 10:23PM

bwalsh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, the Oak Lawn rink was across the street
> from where Hooters is now.

Actually, where the Hooters is now is just a couple of doors down from where the Oak Lawn Roller Rink was...the OLRR was at 9121 S Cicero, and the Hooters is 9159 S Cicero...so they were both in the 9100 S block of Cicero.

AD:

Date: March 03, 2010 07:49PM

[b]I am an Oaklawnian. I went to that rink in the 50's and the dairy basket later on when I worked for A&G Radio on 9100 s. Cicero. I would get my lunch there at times.[/b]

AD:

Date: March 03, 2010 09:06PM

oh wow, A&G - i couldn't believe they were still in business, i called there last year to see if they could fix my beloved 1984 sony shortwave icf-6500. it seemed they didn't want any part of it.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: March 03, 2010 09:16PM

the Oak Lawn Roller rink was rebuilt after the 67' tornado destroyed it...I read that almost the entire roof of the roller rink landing in the trailer court in the area...such a tragedy the lives lost there...

the rebuilt roller rink was closed in 95'

<object width="410" height="341" id="veohFlashPlayer" name="veohFlashPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.veoh.com/static/swf/webplayer/WebPlayer.swf?version=AFrontend.5.4.9.1006&permalinkId=v198742997xMgd3sD&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0&id=anonymous"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.veoh.com/static/swf/webplayer/WebPlayer.swf?version=AFrontend.5.4.9.1006&permalinkId=v198742997xMgd3sD&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0&id=anonymous" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="410" height="341" id="veohFlashPlayerEmbed" name="veohFlashPlayerEmbed"></embed></object><br /><font size="1">Watch <a href="http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v198742997xMgd3sD">Oak Lawn Roller Rink Final Night 7/21/95</a> in <a href="http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment">Entertainment</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;View More <a href="http://www.veoh.com">Free Videos Online at Veoh.com</a></font>

from what I remember, the Hooters is now approximately on the spot of the old Dairy Basket.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 12:46AM

Captain, thanks for that video clip. I used to go to Oak Lawn Roller Rink once in awhile. Not too often, as I can't roller skate too well. Put me on ice skates and I'm fine, wheels, not so much! Although I have danced on roller skates - wish I could remember where that rink was that I was waltzing on skates. It had to be somewhere not too far away as it was a school (college) outing and I went to school on the southwest side (St. Xavier). It definitely was not OL or Fleetwood.
My neighbor used to figure skate at OL and was supposed to be at the rink the day of the tornado, but he stayed home for some reason. His cousin who also skated there was badly injured.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2010 01:04AM

WOW. thanks for memories of a place i haven't been in since about 1982. i totally forgot about those round, carpet-covered seats by the locker area. i got my first kiss at this place. it was nothing short of mediocre!

AD:

Posted by: bowler ()
Date: March 05, 2010 03:43PM

What about Disco Wheels later named Dancing Wheels at 4150 W. 55th Stret on the SW side? The owner was John L. Waner who was a mayoral candidate back in the 60's.

AD:

Date: March 09, 2010 11:21PM

DISCO WHEEEELS. near the old KFC.

AD:

Posted by: kwilson55 ()
Date: October 03, 2010 06:23AM

My friend and I used to skate at Oak Lawn Roller rink regularly. I remember one evening we were watching the new Batman TV show and her dad kept asking us if we wanted to go skating. We opted to stay and watch the show. That was the night that the tornado hit. We could see it from our home. It was terrifying.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:56AM

The Hub in Norridge became the Axle and there were others with same name. Radio ads said 'Rollin at the Axle'. [Or was it Axel?]

AD:

Date: October 06, 2010 12:21AM

I went to the Axle in Countryside a few times. It was on Joliet Rd across from where the Quarry mall is now.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: October 29, 2010 11:48AM

Riverview Roller Rink on Belmont

AD:

Date: October 29, 2010 11:36PM

[b]St. Augustine on west 50th st. St Sabina on south Racine. also St Basil on 55th st.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: DiscoDiva4Ever ()
Date: November 25, 2010 04:03PM

Actually, one of the best places to skate in the 80's was Disco Wheels (later Dancing Wheels) near Midway Airport in Chicago. That place ROCKED! The atmosphere was amazing, the polyurethane floor was one of a kind, and the sound system was WAY beyond other rinks in the area. People came from all over Chicago to skate there and it was packed every night, with lines out the door. They had the most contemporary hand painted mural on the wall and a dance floor with pulsating lights beating to the music! I have NEVER seen another rink of its kind...EVER!
Many first kisses took place there and love never seemed more exciting, skating hand and hand to the sweet sounds of the 80's. It was a GREAT place to spend your childhood and definitely a forgotten safe haven for teens and tweens. I miss that place and wish it still existed. I,too, was a southsider growing up, but would take the bus to Disco Wheels, because it was one of a kind. Fleetwood and Oak Lawn keep trying......NOTHING and I mean NOTHING holds a candle to the old DISCO WHEELS...GOD REST ITS SOUL!

AD:

Posted by: Dan Hogan ()
Date: February 14, 2011 04:27AM

the oak lawn rink was demolished and they put in a saturn dealership if i recall correctly.

i would love to see pictures/hear about the rink at 111th and western.

AD:

Posted by: Patti ()
Date: February 16, 2011 08:42PM

We went to some of those y'all mentioned, but there was one that I liked best and it was out near Lyons I believe and I think it was called Millbridge or something like that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about since I think I've got oldtimer's and memory problems. LOL

AD:

Posted by: tim62b ()
Date: June 26, 2011 10:29PM

The roller rink on Madison Street was the Madison Garden Rink, near Rockwell. Long gone.

AD:

Posted by: tseals ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:53PM

Wasnt the Castaways in cal city of off 145st a roller rink. I know it was a club that many bands used to play at in the 60-70's.

AD:

Posted by: skipo ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:42PM

Hello
there was also Arts Rollaire Rink on 147th just east of the IC tracks on the north side of 147th in Harvey,
In the summertime, they would open the sidewalls of the rink, hence the name Rollaire

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: November 05, 2012 07:44PM

Lerned to skate, and skated at St. Basil schoool. The basement of that school was a real multi-purpose. Every Sunday it was a chapel for over flow Mass and later in the day a roller rink. It was also where we had choir proctice one day a week, where skits and plays were performed on the stage. Dinners were held there for various purposes and Churd groups, Boy scouts met there. Believe it or not we actually played basket ball there, in spite of the fact that there were 6 pilers in the basketbal floo. They wrapped big mats around them to protect anyone who ran into them. As the home team we had a big advantage because we could design plays around the pillers.

AD:

Posted by: Jim R. ()
Date: November 22, 2012 03:48PM

I too learned at St. Basil...just as you described. I went to school there also. Graduated in 1973. Went from K-8 grades. That was great fun every Sunday evening,leaving there all sweated up from the skating. We lived at 5542 S. Wolcott.I remember when someone started the velvet red curtains on fire,I think it was during school hours?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 03:49PM by Jim R..

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: November 22, 2012 06:11PM

Jim
I was a ittle earlier than you, graduatng in 1955. I wish I had a dollar for every time I ran into one of those pillers playing basketball. They sure did intimidate a visiting team though.

AD:

Posted by: tomc ()
Date: December 02, 2012 01:23AM

Long story, but my cousin once owned the concesson in the roller bowl located at washington and aberdeen streets. She married a fireman from the nearby firehouse and he died in his 80's a few years ago. When I was young, I would sometimes play the games in the arcade. I believe that the building became Opraph's studio.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson ()
Date: January 04, 2013 11:37AM

DO YOU REMEMBER THE SWANK ON 111TH AND WESTERN. IT HAD A LITTLE ROOM ON THE SIDE THAT HAD A JUTEBOX WE DANCED IN THAT ROOM I CAN STILL HEAR MICKEY AND SLYVIA HOW DO YOU CALL YOUR LOVER BOY?
AND TAB HUNTER"S YOUNG LOVE.CAN YOU GUYS REMEMBER THIS STUFF?"

AD:

Posted by: Mariann Pepitone ()
Date: September 04, 2014 02:56AM

I skated at Madison Gardens at the age of 14 every Friday and Saturday night. I also had a partner from the neighborhood. That rink was extremely crowded and the organist was great. Me and my school chums walked to the rink because we lived on the near West Side. There was another rink later called the Roller Bowl which was extremely large but Madison Gardens was the best rink. There was also a White Castle on the corner and I met my mother there after skating was over. I met a 30 year old guy there that was twirling a young girl on skates and after she was finished I tried it myself. I met with this man every Friday and Saturday so I could skate plus twirl. I miss those days, the old Red Streetcar and the double decker buses on Jackson Blvd. Time goes on but memories stay.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact