Lasting impression of a street intersection

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Lasting impression of a street intersection
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: August 22, 2014 02:35PM

One early Sunday morning in the mid 40s, my father and I stood waiting at the intersection of Halsted, Grand and Milwaukee, for a Grand Avenue street car that would take us to Navy Pier for a fun fishing excursion beneath the aircraft carriers docked there after the war. It was very quiet, with no street traffic, and a scene of old and seemingly lifeless surrounding buildings that left me with a lasting impression, to this day, of a dark and mysterious past.

Have you ever had an enduring impression of a past city street intersection?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 08:08AM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lasting impression of a street intersection
Posted by: trainutlen ()
Date: August 22, 2014 03:35PM

Well think about it for a moment. You had the streetcars running down Halsted street there, with the red brick pavement. Grand at that time, I hope I am correct, probably had trolley buses, with its overhead. You had streetcars running on Milwaukee so just consider the imposing overhead connections of various wires and switches. Then consider the trackage configurations with switches and crossings. It would certainly be imposing, especially coupled with the 1940's streetlights

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact