What was at the Mc Donalds space at lincoln and western?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
What was at the Mc Donalds space at lincoln and western?
Posted by: laikom ()
Date: June 02, 2014 01:43AM

I'm curious about the space where McDonalds now is at 4844 N Lincoln Ave. It seems like such a huge spot in a prime location. I always pass by and wonder what may have been there before it became a McDonalds. Anyone have any info on the area?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: What was at the Mc Donalds space at lincoln and western?
Posted by: trainutlen ()
Date: June 02, 2014 10:13AM

There used to be several stores including a grocery store by the name of Gikas Brothers, a bakery (I can't recall the name) and a toy store on the southwest corner.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 02, 2014 04:04PM

The McDonald's was built there around 1975. I can remember the parking lot just south of the former Ace Hardware being there as well. Across the street east from the McDonald's where the triangle park is, between Western and Lincoln was a gas station. Shorty after this time Lincoln Avenue was rerouted because of all the traffic congestion around Western and Lawrence Avenue. Leland Ave to the south and Ainslie St. to the north. This was not the area to be driving around rush hour. If you go to the Historic Aerials website you can see a picture of what the area looked like in 1973.

AD:

Posted by: trainutlen ()
Date: June 05, 2014 03:28PM

Just a follow up, if you go to the C.E.R.A. Members Blog for December 6, 2013, the 9th photo down the page will give you some idea of how the corner looked. I know the PCC streetcar is in the way but just to the left of the Green Hornet and beyond the Flixible bus is the corner

AD:

Posted by: G. O. Mancer ()
Date: October 12, 2014 12:05AM

In the Sulzer Library on Lincoln at Sunnyside, there is a terra cotta face of Abraham Lincoln, which used to adorn the facade of the building there.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 05, 2015 03:12PM

the Gikas Grocery store mentioned a few posts earlier nowadays is in the 3500 block of west Lawrence

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 13, 2015 03:36AM

Is Sulzer the new name for the Hild library?

AD:

Posted by: gman ()
Date: October 13, 2015 07:38PM

cact25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Sulzer the new name for the Hild library?

Not so much the new name as the library that replaced Hild. Hild was sold to the Old Town School of Folk Music and the Sulzer branch was the replacement library.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:40PM

Btt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact