woodlawn neighborhood

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
woodlawn neighborhood
Posted by: tomc ()
Date: December 02, 2012 01:10AM

Greetings to all you fellow old timers. I grew up in the woodlawn neighborhood starting in 1933. I invite you to read the article that was written about myself in the University of Chicago Maroon Newspaper-Grey City Journal titled, "THE KID FROM WOODLAWN. Best wishes to all of you. I am nterested in receiving your replies. Tomc

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: woodlawn neighborhood
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: December 02, 2012 02:20AM

Hi Tom,
I actually read it a couple of years ago on the Maroon website - it's a great piece!

I'm not an old-timer by any means but I do have a great interest in the history of Woodlawn.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: December 02, 2012 02:31AM

Wardell, do you have a link?

AD:

Date: December 02, 2012 11:55AM

Here's the link:
[url=http://chicagomaroon.com/2010/11/30/the-kid-from-woodlawn/]The Kid From Woodlawn[/url]

AD:

Date: December 03, 2012 09:02PM

If you stand at the same intersection today, it's hard to believe that the neighborhood ever looked like this:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821940@N00/7257874108/]Cottage Grove From 63rd Street, 1958[/url]

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: December 06, 2012 06:45PM

Nice piece, I enjoyed that. Love your picture Wardell, looks like the Strand Hotel is one of the few buildings that's still standing.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.780177,-87.605925&spn=0.008961,0.013797&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.780277,-87.605916&panoid=638qmW51-jfuttbp3CL9UQ&cbp=12,180.81,,0,8.46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2012 09:42AM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: December 06, 2012 08:41PM

Does the Woodlawn include 79th street near the Sears store? My father's family lived at 80th and Kimbark and I seem to recall everyone referring to the neighborhood as Woodlawn. My Dad and his brothers hung out at a tavern on the NE corner of 79th and Avalon called that Chatavon (sp?) and during the Christmas season they sold trees in the empty lot on the NW corner of the same intersection.
The lot had an old garage where they would flock trees to order (remember those?)

AD:

Date: December 10, 2012 01:04AM

If I'm not mistaken, I think that area would be considered South Shore, or maybe Avalon Park. For the most part, the borders of Woodlawn proper are 60th St to the north, 67th to the south, and from King Drive to the lakefront, but that doens't mean a lot - I see north Woodlawn sometimes listed as 'south Hyde Park', or the small area of houses just east of Oakwoods Cemetery listed as Woodlawn. Recently there seems to be a new, loosely-bordered definition of 'West Woodlawn', which seems to come up a lot when talking about the crime rate.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2016 10:49PM

I grew up on 65th pl between blackstone and Stoney island across from Jackson park in the 1940s does anyone know the name of the large apartment bldg there I cannot remember it

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: January 18, 2016 11:36PM

mari392 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew up on 65th pl between blackstone and Stoney
> island across from Jackson park in the 1940s does
> anyone know the name of the large apartment bldg
> there I cannot remember it

There were 2 apt buildings on that stretch.
he Woodlawn Terrace Apts and the Golf View Apts

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact