Chicago Record Stores - Documentary in the works

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Chicago Record Stores - Documentary in the works
Posted by: Oldphan ()
Date: October 26, 2013 10:50PM

Hello! I hope this message finds everyone well. I'm an artist of several mediums, and I very much want to make a documnentay of sorts, about old Chicago record stores... I grew up in Chicago, and during my teen years, (I'm 30 now.) most of my life and free time revolved around going to all of Chicagos little used & also heavily commercial record stores, and buying and collecting cd's, tapes both VHS and audio,vinyl and memorabilia.... I even used to work at one record store, (Two locations though.)for several years, Dr. Wax, but over the years I've lost touch with everyone... What I'm looking for by posting to this forum, is many things I suppose - I would like to connect and talk with as many of you as possible about your memories of these stores, certainly, but I also hope to find pictures of the old stores, if anyone has them... I sculpt quite a lot, and I would like to make dioramas based on photos of the old locations - the link below is a piece I did recreating the envirmoment of someones Youtube videos, so it would be around the same type of work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNGv0_Frh-I

I have also done some very very VERY loose, basic test shoots, you can see one of the tests here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxK5GJ6SQTo

Also I am interested in talking with any of the old owners of these shops! Are you guys out there? Video Beat guys? My old Dr. Wax gang? Are you any of you still out these somewhere?

Anyway thanks everyone, sorry if this topic has been posted about before, or in excess and I just didn't see it.. I would really appreciate any help at all anyone can offer in the making of my little movie, it terms of providing pictures, memories, conatacs and whatever... Here is a list of the most important stores I most remember, some are still around, some long gone:

Reckless Records
Second Hand Tunes
Video beat
Disco Round
Tower Records
Dr. Wax
Phonagraph (?)
Cocanuts
Metal Heaven
Evil Clown
Armegedon
Gramaphone
Hard Bioled
Virgin

Always looking for additions to this list as well, I'm sure there are places I've forgotten all about.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

All the best,
Amanda

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Record Stores - Documentary in the works
Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: October 27, 2013 01:08AM

My local place was Round Records on Sheridan Road in Rogers Park very close to Loyola U. They had new records available on the first floor and "second hand' collection upstairs. They closed around 1990.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: October 27, 2013 03:27PM

Don't forget Wax Trax, on Lincoln! Wild Chicago did a segment there you might be able to dig up. One of the things I remember they had on the wall just above the section of Ministry albums was a Publishers Clearing House mailing to Al Jourgensen telling him he may have already won $1 million!

AD:

Posted by: jd ()
Date: October 27, 2013 05:19PM

There were 2 "Rolling Stone Records" at one time. One was on Washington just east of LaSalle, (which changed its name to "Rocks Records" when the partners had a falling out: it's closed now), and the other one is still in business as "Rolling Stone". It's located on Forest Preserve Drive just west of the Harlem/Irving Plaza.

Another mega record store I used to frequent was "Hegewisch Records" on the far South Side. Not to mention "Stained Glass Eye" which was more of a head shop that had tunes.

Try to get in touch with Val at "Val's Halla" in Oak Park. (239 Harrison St, Oak Park, IL 60304). She's been around forever, and has an encyclopedic menory of all things music related. Or one of the DJs @ WXRT might be of help.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:46PM

Grammaphone's still around. It had competition from Borderline in boystown, but they just moved to Mandersonville.

Does DJ Markski still have a store?

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: November 02, 2013 07:24AM

I miss buying whole albums. but don't miss guessing what they sounded like until got it home. Or, waiting to hear other hits on the radio to see if it was worth buying.

AD:

Posted by: Walt ()
Date: November 02, 2013 08:22PM

Amanda, Rose Records on south Wabash in downtown Chicago was one of my earliest memories. New albums would be placed on the wall for purchase. I saw Led Zeppelin's first album with that great cover on the wall. The place also had that smell from all the new vinyl records around. But for someone on a budget like myself, R and S records, located Armitage and Kedzie ( I think) sold new albums for around 3 bucks apiece. They were a bare bones store. They later moved to Armitage avenue near Lincoln ave. in Chicago. I might have some photos of that store. Good luck on your project.

AD:

Posted by: gman ()
Date: November 03, 2013 03:11PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget Wax Trax, on Lincoln! Wild Chicago
> did a segment there you might be able to dig up.
> One of the things I remember they had on the wall
> just above the section of Ministry albums was a
> Publishers Clearing House mailing to Al Jourgensen
> telling him he may have already won $1 million!

Wax Trax was a key player in the music scene in the late 70's and 80's. They also ran a record label by the same name. It was a popular destination for visiting performers who would stop in and by obscure discs and imports that the staff would bring back from UK buying trips. Cofounder Jim Nash's daughter runs a site about teh store and label:

http://waxtraxchicago.com/

AD:

Posted by: rustykatz ()
Date: February 01, 2014 04:26PM

Laurie's records in Evanston

AD:

Posted by: JamesB ()
Date: February 05, 2014 05:37PM

Dusty Groove in Wicker Park is still going strong. Rick is the owner he's happy to chat with crate diggers.

[url=http://www.dustygroove.com]www.dustygroove.com[/url]

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK ()
Date: February 05, 2014 07:30PM

walt, yeah, good ol R&S !! Bought tons of albums there. I remember when they had 2 prices on albums, Mono and Stereo.

AD:

Posted by: Rayfotoman ()
Date: March 02, 2014 04:25PM

Hey There,
I worked at about about a half dozen different stores....
1.Rose on wabash
2.Musicworks in Norridge
3.Record Exchange in Rogers Pk.
4.Just for the record on Clark and Wellington
5.Peaches in Melrose

I worked with Al Jourgensen at Record Exchange when he was a struggling musician with no money to even get equipment. I also have pics of the mom and pop record store I started my wax obsession with back in 1970 and that was at
Del Principe record store at North ave and Central for many years...He also had a brother that ran one...Neat idea but the clay dioramas don't do it for me...make it a really cool indepth video..If i can help let me know.

AD:

Posted by: G. O. Mancer ()
Date: March 10, 2014 10:31PM

Growing up in suburban Deerfield, I have fond memories of Skokie Valley Music, which everybody called the Deerfield Record Store. The owner, Lenny, was always willing to special order stuff, and the selection was always full of wonderfully obscure artists.

Just to show how dedicated he was, a friend of mine had ordered a particular Beethoven recording. One day he tells my friend, "I got that record you wanted". The label hadn't sent it out; he saw it at Rose downtown and bought it for my friend.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile ()
Date: April 03, 2014 11:45PM

Yardbirds 63 st, and Troy, on the southside, near Marquette Park, It was filled with milk creats full of recored albums.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: April 04, 2014 01:46AM

mikbasile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yardbirds 63 st, and Troy, on the southside, near
> Marquette Park, It was filled with milk creats
> full of recored albums.

--You just reminded me mikbasile, that there was nothing more accommodating to a record collection than a wooden orange crate. Everyone I knew kept their records in one (or more). When I worked at the Dominick's in the 70's I had constant requests from friends and others to "grab me an orange crate when you can". (Oranges weren't always shipped in wooden crates so you had to act during seasons that they were.)

AD:

Posted by: Robin ()
Date: May 01, 2014 02:24PM

Old Wells Records, somewhere in the Near North. Bought several jazz records there.

AD:

Posted by: Bob Knack ()
Date: May 07, 2014 04:09PM

Little Al's at Kedzie and Lawrence

Deluxe Music at six corners Chicago Irving Park, Cicero, and Milwaukee.

Let me know how it's going www.dixieswing.com

bobknack@hotmail.com

AD:

Posted by: mogee ()
Date: June 09, 2014 01:24PM

Vitaks on 48th s Ashland during the 50's & 60's had closed in booths inside there where you could listen to your 45 or album before you purchased it. It was a cool place to meet girls.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline ()
Date: June 09, 2014 04:47PM

Those of us from Rogers Park back in the 50s and 60s probably remember Kenmac Records on Devon Ave a bit west of Western Ave. All of the lastest 45s and LPs were available for your listening pleasure.

AD:

Posted by: MisterDrexciya ()
Date: June 10, 2014 09:54AM

Hi Amanda,

Ask Ray & Di Kulka; they are radio DJs at WLUW. I'm sure they have quite some information to share.

http://wluw.org/station/show/razor-and-die-show/

AD:

Posted by: Kool Kat ()
Date: August 20, 2014 03:12AM

I couldn't remember the name, but I do remember that there was a record store on Armitage near Kedzie, that sold records very cheaply. $2.99 sounds about right. Everyone came to that store from miles around because of the prices. It didn't last long though. Word was that they were mob-related and thus shut down. (kids!) Too bad we didn't know that they relocated or we would have simply made the trip to Armitage and Lincoln.

AD:

Posted by: Chicagogal63 ()
Date: September 19, 2014 06:37PM

Wow is this taking me back! My fave places were Round Records by Loyola, i lived on the second floor there, Record Exchange on Morse, i remember a cat that lived there in the early/mid 80's, it would just lay about on the albums, i remember going there pretty much every weekend and i also remember a record store on Devon ave though i don't remember it being called Kenmac, i bought my first 45's there round 76/77. Anyone remember the record store south of Belmont? My memory wants to say it was somewhere around Ashland and School, i remember it being a huge place with a great import section but for the life of me i can't remember the name of it.

AD:

Date: September 19, 2014 07:26PM

Was that a Rose Records at Belmont/Ashland?

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Sauganash ()
Date: September 21, 2014 08:07PM

Yes, it was a Rose Records on the southeast corner of Ashland and School.

AD:

Posted by: djpurple ()
Date: October 14, 2014 02:51PM

Hello,

Another huge store to add would be Imports, Etc. which was located on Plymouth Ct, downtown. I did a little shopping there after I graduated high school. It is no longer in existence but if you ask around for House Music DJs like Chip E. or Farley Jackmaster Funk, they could probably give you some good info.

AD:

Posted by: djpurple ()
Date: October 14, 2014 02:54PM

I am also very much looking forward to the documentary, as I am a DJ, from Chicago. And, I am working on a special project centered on music. One part of my project is to highlight the neighborhood record shops that were around in the 80s. :)

AD:

Date: October 19, 2014 11:11PM

Just watched the first episode of teh Foo Fighters' "Sonic Highways" on HBO. They go to a different city each week to explore the musical influences of the local scene. The first episode covered Chicago and had a brief segment on Wax Trax including a brief appearance by Julia Nash, the daughter of co-founder Jim Nash. It also covered the punk scene at the Cubby Bear, a segment on Naked Raygun and a lot of time on Steve Albini. It was a great episode.

AD:

Posted by: chgojoearchitect ()
Date: November 14, 2014 04:54PM

I grew up with friends that were house music DJs in the Brickyard area on the far Northwest side during the late 1980s - early 1990s. The popular house music stores to get the popular tracks on 12" vinyl records and DJ produced mix tapes were Hip House at the Bricktown Square on Grand Avenue. A childhood friend named Brian Varga once worked there. He's a huge house DJ by the name of Halo Varga today. Then down the street was B96 DJ Julian Jumpin' Perez's store at Grand and Newland.

Don't forget the DJ International store that used to be on Cicero just south of Ogden. This was the record label for historic hip house artists like Fast Eddie and Tyree Cooper.

We also used to shop at ALL the used record and CD stores that were once up and down Clark Street between Fullerton and Diversey, such as Dr. Wax, Second Hand Tunes (they had two locations, one for records, other for CDs & cassettes), some others I can't remember, and then the original historic Gramophone Records.

Electronic dance music like hip house and house has a huge beginning and history here in Chicago that lead to most of the popular dance music we now hear today.

AD:

Posted by: mishadoc ()
Date: December 16, 2014 12:52PM

We would go to Lyon Healy down the way on Wabash and on the way home from there (for a music lesson) it started raining really hard. We ducked into Rose Records (1972 - 1973?) and began looking at the records on the first, then the second, and I believe, even the third floor. Between the smell of the vinyl (as you mentioned) and the smell of wet clothes and umbrellas from the rain, the smells were marvelous and I can recall it to this day. Loved that place and never even knew how cool it was until we ducked in out of the rain. Thank you rain!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact