Mayfair Railroad Embankment Underpass

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Mayfair Railroad Embankment Underpass
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: September 12, 2013 12:51AM

When I was a kid staring out the window of the car, I used to notice a boarded-up passageway under the C&NW embankment along the Kennedy at the inbound ramp from Montrose. It wasn't big enough for automobiles, but had MAYFAIR imprinted in the concrete above the opening.

When the expressway was redone in the '90s, it was covered over with new concrete. If you use Google Street View, you can see the new concrete wall just before the on-ramp meter light.

Does anyone remember this? What was it originally?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mayfair Railroad Embankment Underpass
Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: September 12, 2013 05:18AM

I'm sure that you already know this, but, the Mayfair train station is right there just south of Montrose. I can't find the spot that you mentioned, but a pedestrian tunnel maybe?

AD:

Posted by: kiernansanders ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:44PM

It was an entrance to the CN&W's Mayfair station, which was located on the viaduct at that point.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CHICAGOTRANSIT/conversations/topics/19235

make sure to expand all the messages!

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 03:18PM

As a note on this question, the Mayfair station and all things related there to are now gone. This was done as part of the streamlining of the Northwest Metra line. The close station that has been improved and modernized is located at Irving Park.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: September 22, 2013 04:42PM

Well now I know! Thanks everyone!

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: October 03, 2013 09:48PM

I believed the CN&W's Mayfair station closed in 1958. If you drive thru the viaduct east bound, on the south side of the street you can see the bricked up openings under the tracks. I believe that was the station and maybe some stores. You can see this on Google maps. I wonder what is on the other side of the bricked up openings?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact