The "Notice Zone Of Quiet" Sign Near Navy Pier

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
The "Notice Zone Of Quiet" Sign Near Navy Pier
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 12:45AM

Usually those signs symbolize that a hospital or medical institution is nearby. What existed near Navy Pier that merited such?. No, Northwestern is about 2-4 blocks NW.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The "Notice Zone Of Quiet" Sign Near Navy Pier
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 04:31AM

Lake Point Tower? I wouldn't be surprised if it for them.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 01:05PM

No, This was more of a medical facility, As opposed to the more residential Lake Point Tower. Usually, Those signs signaled that a medical facility was in the zone or vicinity with that distinctive green cross. Northwestern would be a few blocks west, So that wouldn't actually count. But there was some sort of mariners or sickbay-type facility. I was just wondering which specific one?.

AD:

Posted by: madbaron (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 01:44PM

If, as you say, the signs usually appeared near medical facilities, it could be for Navy Pier itself. From navypier.com:

[quote]1917-1918
When the U.S. enters World War I, the Pier houses several regiments of soldiers, [b]Red Cross[/b] and Home Defense units as well as a barracks for recruits.

1918 - 1921
The Pier boasts its own streetcar line, theater, restaurants and [b]an emergency hospital[/b].[/quote]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact