The "Notice Zone Of Quiet" Sign Near Navy Pier
The "Notice Zone Of Quiet" Sign Near Navy Pier
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 12:45AM

Usually those signs symbolize that a hospital or medical institution is nearby. What existed near Navy Pier that merited such?. No, Northwestern is about 2-4 blocks NW.

Re: The "Notice Zone Of Quiet" Sign Near Navy Pier
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 04:31AM

Lake Point Tower? I wouldn't be surprised if it for them.

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 01:05PM

No, This was more of a medical facility, As opposed to the more residential Lake Point Tower. Usually, Those signs signaled that a medical facility was in the zone or vicinity with that distinctive green cross. Northwestern would be a few blocks west, So that wouldn't actually count. But there was some sort of mariners or sickbay-type facility. I was just wondering which specific one?.

Posted by: madbaron (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 01:44PM

If, as you say, the signs usually appeared near medical facilities, it could be for Navy Pier itself. From navypier.com:

[quote]1917-1918
When the U.S. enters World War I, the Pier houses several regiments of soldiers, [b]Red Cross[/b] and Home Defense units as well as a barracks for recruits.

1918 - 1921
The Pier boasts its own streetcar line, theater, restaurants and [b]an emergency hospital[/b].[/quote]

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact