Independent Pharmacies

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Independent Pharmacies
Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: January 17, 2013 07:55PM

Dunning 1... Yes! That was the name, [u]Marcoe[/u] Pharmacy. I also remember Bruce & Ken's on Addison very well. Thanks so much for sharing all your great memories. One of my best friends in high school worked as a waitress at the Walgreens snack shop, that was at the south end of Harlem Irving Plaza when it was still an outdoor mall.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: RGrover (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 04:43PM

I've been lurking about this site for quite some time and I love it! I work near the Uniter Center & usually take Madison or Washington St/Warren Blvd to & from work from roughly Austin. So much history on those streets. Anyway, back to this topic- there used to be the Terminal Pharmacy on Grand, east of Harlem, before Sayre I think, across from the bus turnaround. I never went in there but thought it was an unusual name for a pharmacy.

AD:

Posted by: Inner Prop (130.36.62.---)
Date: January 21, 2013 12:48PM

I grew up on Kostner and Montrose in the early 70s.

There was a drug store that we always went to. Most of the store had regular drug store stuff but the pharmacy had a very tall counter (taller than my mom iirc) and the pharmacists always seemed nice by very mysterious behind their "castle" walls. My mom would ask for her perscription and they would disappear somewhere. They had a waiting "area" of sort of aqua colored leather seats around a pole. They may have been closer to sky blue, but they were a rather strange, striking color.

It was probably on Montrose, but for some reason I think it may have been on Lawrence. I think I remember walking there sometimes so it was probably between Montrose and Lawrence, and Pulaski and the Kennedy.

Any idea what that was?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 22, 2013 02:08PM

shekaago--That intersection of Belmont and Oak Park used to be quite a shopping hub. As a young child, I would walk down Rutherford with my my mother and grandmother, and we would go shopping at Jewel, originally located in a storefront on the north side of Belmont between Rutherford and Oak Park, and National, which was futher east, on the south side where the banquet hall used to be. Then we would stop at Village Bakery (now Smakowski's) and get some baked goods, and then across the street on Belmont west of Oak Park to go the Ben Franklin store, stop in to Cheerio Restaurant for lunch, and as a parting shot, stop in Marcoe Pharmacy where my grandmother would get the latest copy of "True Detective" magazine and I would get a comic book. Jewel moved in the early 1960's to the building they built in the plaza, that is now Avenue Foods, and I remember a small savings and loan, Fort Dearborn Savings, and a dry cleaner, Rose Cleaners, being in the same strip mall. There was a big coin laundromat on the south side of Belmont, just east of Newcastle, and that whole block is now gone for the Walgreens. On the north side, across the street, the building that is now a tax and insurance business started out as a Burger King, and then was remodeled to a drive through Walgreens pharmacy. The lot where the health care center is now located was vacant for a long time. When my grandfather retired, we started going shopping in the car over to High Low which was over in the 2600 block of Harlem, where the apartment complex is now located on the west side of Harlem, and Caputo was just starting up across the street, operating out of a small garage built on the corner lot. While my mother and grandmother were shopping in High Low, my grandfather, who had owned a small chain of green grocer stores on the west side, would go over to Caputo's and give the owners an hour or so worth of unsolicited business advice.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2013 03:50PM

Dunning 1 - Your recollections brought back lots of (nearly the same) memories for me. I grew up on Normandy and attended Locke Elementary School so I'd walk past the intersection of Belmont & Oak Park nearly every day. The only things I might add would be to ask if you remember the Harczak's Sausage shop (there is still a Harczak's on Higgins) on the same side of the block and just east of The Village Bakery and then on that NW corner of Rutherford and Belmont there was a Baskin-Robbins - 31 Flavors ice cream shop (there's a cosmetics store there now). Harczak's had a big jar of pretzel sticks on the counter and they used to give me a free pretzel every time my mom took me in there shopping with her. And there was a shoe repair place on the north side of Belmont between Rutherford & Normandy. Ben Franklin was where I bought penny candy. My parents shopped at both Jewel and National and at Dwyer's and Marcoe. And I ate far too often at Burger King!

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 22, 2013 07:07PM

Heh..being German, we didn't buy sausage at Harczak's as my parents preferred Deli Meyer and German sausage. Did you ever go over to the Village Hobby Shop where Konrad's Liquors is now located? I remember buying my model Edsels there as a kid. If you walked down on Normandy, I am sure you remember "Normandy Prairie," the one block of open land between Roscoe/School/Normandy/Natoma. After the last lot on our block was built up, we used to play down there. Do you also remember the old streetlights that used to be on Oak Park Avenue before the street was widened? They were black, cast iron, and had an incandescent bulb hanging upside down. Not much light!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: January 22, 2013 09:04PM

Inner Prop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew up on Kostner and Montrose in the early
> 70s.
>
> There was a drug store that we always went to.
> Most of the store had regular drug store stuff but
> the pharmacy had a very tall counter (taller than
> my mom iirc) and the pharmacists always seemed
> nice by very mysterious behind their "castle"
> walls. My mom would ask for her perscription and
> they would disappear somewhere. They had a
> waiting "area" of sort of aqua colored leather
> seats around a pole. They may have been closer to
> sky blue, but they were a rather strange, striking
> color.
>
> It was probably on Montrose, but for some reason I
> think it may have been on Lawrence. I think I
> remember walking there sometimes so it was
> probably between Montrose and Lawrence, and
> Pulaski and the Kennedy.
>
> Any idea what that was?

Not sure if it's one you're thinking of, but I lived at Keeler & Montrose, and we went to a Rexall on the NW corner of Montrose and Pulaski, across from King of Tile. I wish I could remember more about the interior, but I was probably too busy thinking about buying goodies at Montrose Market up the street.

There's a cell phone store there now, but it looks like they just painted over the original orange enameled steel sign.

AD:

Date: January 24, 2013 01:26PM

Dunning1 - I definitely remember "The Prairie" and those old street lights on Oak Park Ave. My father would always comment on how that street was "like a washboard" and how dim the lighting was before it was "improved." I never knew Konrad's had been a hobby shop, though. Interesting! Glad to be able to reminisce about the old neighborhood with another "Dunning-ite!"

AD:

Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: January 25, 2013 04:09PM

I remember Deitch's pharmacy (still there) the at Wood St. & Chicago Ave. Futher west on Chicago Ave. at Oakley there was the Oakley Pharmacy. My first job was there as a stock boy / delivery boy. That was another thing from the past, drug stores that made deliveries!

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2013 01:52PM

There was a drug store on the corner of Belmont and Central Park (SW corner) when I lived in that area. I don't remember the name. It had the typical giant glass containers of colored water in the windows.

Even though my friends and I passed it often, there wasn't much we could buy there except for a box of cough drops or gum.

It was pretty sparse with wooden shelves and paneling and white tile floor. I do remember buying "Metrical", a diet powder, for my aunt. Everything was behind the counter as I recall. Nothing on display in the customer area. But the people behind the counter were always very nice to us.

There also was a popular butcher shop just next door to the West. And Betty's Sugar Bowl across the street. A Sinclair (I think) across the street on the corner and a tavern on the NE corner.

That strip of Belmont slowly melted away as business closed and storefronts became remuddled apartments.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 06:07PM

fleurblue Wrote:
> There was a drug store on the corner of Belmont
> and Central Park (SW corner) when I lived in that
> area. I don't remember the name. It had the
> typical giant glass containers of colored water in
> the windows.
>

I've wondered about those giant glass containers. Anyone know the story behind them?

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:31PM

I found this site re the origin of the "show globe" displayed in pharmacy windows.

http://waring.library.musc.edu/exhibits/showglobes/Definition.php

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 04:12PM

fleurblue Wrote:
> I found this site re the origin of the "show
> globe" displayed in pharmacy windows.
>
> http://waring.library.musc.edu/exhibits/showglobes
> /Definition.php

Interesting site. Thanks

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2013 10:43AM

Growing up on the SW side I remember Going to Glendale Pharmacy on 52nd and Kedzie. 2 Pretzels for a penny, 50cents for a milk shake. The soda Jerk also helped fill prescriptions and smoked a big fat White Own on the job....do you believe it ? Later on we moved further SW and I remember Guttman Pharmacy 63rd & Pulaski and Midway Pharmacy ( orig. Antonide's SDrugs on 63rd and Kolin that's where I'D buy my pea shooters, and caps for my cap guns

AD:

Date: February 22, 2013 04:22PM

I remember a small independent grug store on the southeast corner of 52nd and So. Kedzie, GLENDALE Pharmacy....2 Pretzels for a Penny... Ice cream sodas, 7oz. bottles of Coke. The counter person doubled as a soda jerk and pharmacy assistant.
Workin behind the counter and smoking a big old White owl cigar at the same time, would you believe it ? Later on in 54 we moved farther south and west and I remember Guttman Pharmacy @ 63rd. and Pulaski, a few doors down from Dugdale's Butcher shop;Whole fryers 19 cents per lb. and spare ribs for 29 Cents.We alco frequrnted Midway Pharmacy ( earlier it was Antonide's Drug store, thats where I bought my Peas and pea shooters,baseball cards and lick a made (sp.)?
Funny how I remember all that and can't remember how to turn on my smart phone:)

AD:

Date: February 22, 2013 04:25PM

Or there was a second page to this forum

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-207-63.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2013 03:27AM

Jarek's Drugstore,SW corner of California and 63rd, was one of my boyhood haunts. Candy, gum, and comic books, and when I was very young, they still had their soda fountain counter. That got removed for cosmetics. And they had a tube tester, which my father dispatched me to for testing radio and tv tubes, which he then replaced at Olson Electronics on 95th, since Jarek's stopped selling tubes later on. A few blocks west was Marquette Drugs, which had lost their fountain counter a while back: my mother seemed to prefer them for filling prescriptions. The nearest chain was a Walgreens at Kedzie and 63rd.

AD:

Posted by: Jokyoung (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 11:45PM

Does anyone remember a Kozlowski pharmacy that later became a Rexall? Pharmacist was Jerome and later one of his son's became a pharmacist, his name was Ralph. Does anyone have any memory of this place on the south side??

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2013 11:28PM

I remember Landsmans drugs at Belmont & Overhill on the Elmwood Park side of the street. This was a good size store with lots of stuff. Then there was Pauls pharmacy at Belmont & Opal. Pauls was smaller but had the soda fountain, the old wooden phone booths w/the fans, and a large selection of comic books. We'd go in and have a Coke or maybe a Green River and he'd tell us not to read the comic books as it wasn't a library.

AD:

Posted by: ng123 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2013 05:10PM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any photos of the old LaManna's pharmacy at Berwyn and Damen? My brother used to work there and met his future wife there over 30 years ago. Thanks so much!

AD:

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact