Chicago Championship Wrestling/P.W.I toughest half hour on tv

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chicago Championship Wrestling/P.W.I toughest half hour on tv
Posted by: wow1029 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 08:00PM

anybody remember this pro wrestling promotion? toughest half hour on tv.wrestled in nw indiana,wisconsin,chicagoland & filmed interviews in a bar.it ran from 1982 to 1991 with it being on tv around 86 or 87.it wasn't windy city wrestling.this was different.tony "razor" devito,terry "hammer" scholl,reynolds brothers,ect

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Championship Wrestling/P.W.I toughest half hour on tv
Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 29, 2011 01:21AM

My “pro wrestling” days were a bit earlier – 1960’s-70’s when local promoter Bob Luce hawked his product on late night UHF television. Some of the stars were Moose Cholok and Baron Von Raschke. The cheap TV matches plugged his live performances mostly at some place in Indiana (Holiday Star??) but sometimes in more upscale venues like the Aragon Ballroom. I never went to any of them.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 02:45PM

I was in the days of Benito Gardini, Lou Thez, Yukon Erik, Gorgeous George, etal. Every saturday night a woman held up huge cardboard glasses because she thought the referee couldn't see.

AD:

Posted by: ChiTownJim (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: October 15, 2011 10:49AM

I seem to remember a show that came on late Saturday/ early Sunday morning called 'Monsters of the Mat'.I only caught it about two or three times around 1987 or '88 and then couldn't find it again. I think it came on WFLD-32 or one of the UHF channels. I do not remember the name of the promotion or any of the names.

I remember the old AWA that came on Sunday morning around 10:30 or 11:00.My dad believed it was all real, and there were always the commercials for Andy Frain Security and Ben's Auto Sales. I think Dick the Bruiser and Bobo Brazil were the ones I remember most. That was before WWF took over everything.I also remember watching WCCW and the Von Erichs on channel 60? or 38?

AD:

Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 12:43AM

The Kangaroo Bros.

They used to wrestle and the amphitheatre at 42nd and Halsted.

AD:

Posted by: wags300 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 13, 2013 11:12AM

My brother was a towel boy at Rainbow Arena in the 50's so we could sneak
in and see matches for free...Argentina Rocca was my favorite..I remember
Nature Boy Buddy Rogers, the Frech Angel ,etc.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2013 08:00PM

There was a time in the early 70s when the Friday night wrestling card at the International Amphitheater was the biggest "sporting" event in Chicago. A $20 dollar ticket bought you a steak dinner at the Stock Yard Inn and a ringside ticket to that evening's card. These were consistently sold out and I think capacity at the Amphitheater was somewhere between 14K & 17K. Bob Luce was the promoter and the big names included Bruiser & Crusher, Bobby Heenen, Verne Gagne, Moose Cholak, Seaman Art Thomas and a others whose names now escape me.

AD:

Posted by: Cholly (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2013 09:08PM

I remember watching "Wrestling from Rainbow" and "Wrestling from Marigold" in the early fifties. Some of the heroes were Cyclone Anaya, Vern Gagne and Chief Don Eagle. A few villans - Benito Gardini and Mr. Moto. Farmer Don Marlin was one who was sort of in between hero and villan.

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 03:16PM

Yeah, I watched the Bob Luce shows too, loved the TV commercials he did for Ben's Auto, they never could get through one without cracking up. Dick the Bruiser, the Crusher, Ernie Ladd, the Blackjacks, Sailor Art Thomas, the original Sheik, Ivan Kohloff.... Had to watch a bunch of bad matches to get to the match of the day.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 07:39PM

When I was a kid and UHF was newfangled, my parents got a tv with a uhf tuner.

All of my relatives would come out to drink my old man's beer and watch wrestling on channel 26. Then they would stay for more beer and watch the bullfights.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact