American Legion,VFW,Amvets Buildings

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
American Legion,VFW,Amvets Buildings
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 10:52AM

There have been a couple of recent posts about WW II memorials and a tank, which brings to mind the disappearing veterans organization buildings. Many of these neighborhood posts were founded after WWI and WWII which gave returning veterans a venue for community service and a social outlet with other veterans. This was a time when people typically never moved far from where they were born annd many of the people did not own cars, and most of any social activity revolved around the neighborhood churches and veteran organizations. In my many driving vacations through smaller towns it is always great to see that some of these orgaizations as well as Elk,Moose Eagles etc. still exists.

I welcome people to identify the names and locations of these organizations that may have been in your neighborhood. It brings back fond memories of parades,picnics,dances and Christmas parties as well as sponsorship of scouts ad Little League. Things that many people don't have time for anymore.

Several that I remember were Portage Park American Legion on Belmont, FDR on Cortland and Lafayette on Leavitt.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: American Legion,VFW,Amvets Buildings
Posted by: tim62b (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 06:08PM

Ted Knusman Amvets Post was in Austin at Chicago & Parkside. In the early to mid-seventies it relocated to Irving just west of Central.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2011 02:23AM

There is (was?) a Legion hall at the corner of Montrose & Western, next door to Jeri's Grill, and a classmate of mine had his 8th grade graduation party at the VFW hall on Higgins & Canfield in Park Ridge.

Here's an Legion cap from Woodlawn Post 175 that I found in, of all places, Petaluma, Ca.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821940@N00/4762771694/]Legion Garrison Cap[/url]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 02:37AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (74.7.39.---)
Date: May 27, 2011 04:14PM

As I mentioned in a different posting, there is a VFW Post # 5216 located at 4325 S. Honore Street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. After WWII, a group of veterans formed the local post and bought the building where they occupy the first floor with three rental apartments above, which provided them with income over the years. My family lived in the rear apartment from 1953 to 1974 and my father was the post commander in 1964-1965. They sponsored bowling leagues for the kids and had softball, bowling, horseshoes and other activities for themselves. The basement was once used as the local Cub Scout meeting place. Every time they had an event in the hall downstairs, I was well aware of it since the live bands kept us up all night! I don't know how many members they have now since most or all the WWII vets have passed on. I sure seen a lot of members stagger out of their bar nearly every evening. I'm not sure how many Vietnam era and newer vets feel a need for this type of establishment today. Being a veteran myself, lifestyles and activity choices today are much different than they were in 1950.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2011 02:09AM

Ted Knusman AMVETS at 5600 Irving closed about 8 years ago. Now the group rents spaces are various banquet halls or restaurants for meetings, parties, etc. No permanent building.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: May 30, 2011 02:30AM

the one steve b. mentioned at 43rd and honors, i think my parents might have had their wedding party therein 1954, that was their old neighborhood. :)

i remember there being a F.O.E. on west 55th st back when i was little, my ma used to drag me to bingo there in their basement. i was always scared of the guy who called the games because he sounded so cranky and mean. ha. looking back, he was probably the nicest guy around.

it's sad to think of these places becoming redundant and disappearing as this generation of vets ages and dies. depressing, actually. i grew up in these places.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 31, 2011 12:58AM

One in Argo-Summit on S.Harlem. Another on S.Cicero near Alsip.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 12:19AM

Here's a story about the VFW, or actually one vet in particular, and information about their activities:

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/neighborhoodstar/oaklawn/5700543-521/vet-symbolizes-dedication.html

My dad belonged to a number of veterans groups: the American Legion, the VFW, Catholic War Vets and was an officer or commander at the local, state and national level in all 3 of these. The smaller towns usually always had and still have these halls, whereas it seems in the bigger cities they have fallen by the wayside. For being a much smaller organization, the CWV post in LaSalle, IL had their own hall and it was quite an active group back in the 60s anyway.
There's still a VFW hall in Oak Lawn at 52nd Ave just south of 95th St.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 11:02PM

Ted Knusman Amvets Post now meets monthly at the Elmhurst American Legion Post on one specific Sunday a month.

------

To the poster who wrote about... [b]VFW Post # 5216 located at 4325 S. Honore Street[/b] ..... opps sorry for keeping you awake.

I used to pass that area in the 70's going to the wrestling events at the Amphitheatre. Going down Western to 43rd and then east to the AMP was always faster and less traffic.

As many times as I went past Honore, I didn't even know the hall was there.

Then we played a there once in 1979. Somebody liked us and all of a sudden we wound up playing a handful of parties there....probably about 10 or 12 over a couple years. Music jobs used to go in spurts. The last time we played there was in 80 and at the latest 1981 as the neighborhood was changing.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 05:56PM

There are still a few left near where I live. (Belmont Heights) One is on Grand av in River Grove, just east of the river. Another is in Franklin Park at Pacific & Ruby. My brother in law rented the River Grove one a few years ago for a family thing.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 11:41PM

VFW Post 3579 in Park Ridge is still operating at Canfield and Higgins.

AD:

Posted by: Julie (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 09:20PM

I remember going to many events at Our Boys Post. On 50th, right across from Cornell Park

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2014 12:51AM

Julie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember going to many events at Our Boys Post.
> On 50th, right across from Cornell Park

I lived at 50th & Wolcott across from the park. Where was Our Boys Post? Remindme

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2014 06:50PM

Wayne-Wright Post 1052

1258 W. Wrightwood Ave

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2014 09:45PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Julie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I remember going to many events at Our Boys
> Post.
> > On 50th, right across from Cornell Park
>
>
> I lived at 50th & Wolcott across from the park.
> Where was Our Boys Post? Remindme

[b]OK I now remember it was on 50th st.north side of street and was an old church building. It is still there.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 25, 2014 01:05AM

For many years on North Laramie on the corner of either W. Deming or W. Nelson there was a PLAV Hall. Polish Legion of American Veterans.

AD:

Posted by: Chistorian51 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 25, 2014 04:29PM

Theres use to be one on 44th and Western, it had a cannon on the side lawn. I attended a couple wedding receptions there , it was a nice hall not your typical VFW hall. It is now a church.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact