Goldblatts

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Goldblatts
Posted by: ChicagoDog (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 01:19AM

Does anyone remember the "Sponge Candy" sold at Goldblatts? It was sold in a block about 4 x6 inches. It was broen or cut up into chunks. Tasted like crunchy maple with a tangy sweet taste.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Goldblatts
Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-69-96-206.myvzw.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 06:35PM

I do remember that "Sponge Candy" as well as their licorice and "Violet" candies. My mom used to buy "bridge mix" there as well. The last time I had sponge candy was a few years ago from a little candy shop in Long Grove. I don't know where else you could find it now.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (64.107.165.---)
Date: September 17, 2015 08:27PM

I also remember the sponge candy and the violet candy. We loved the violet candy and have been looking for them ever since Goldblatts closed. Is there anywhere that sells them? They were so good!

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2015 10:31PM

I think the violet candies are availible online from the Vermont Country Store. They have a lot of old time dime store candies.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2015 10:39PM

The little square violet ones? They're still around. Google 'Choward's violet candy' - the company makes a few different flavors, too.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2015 11:56AM

[b]remember 47th & ashland stores? Three dime sores on the east side. Kresge, wolwort & I forget the third one but kreske became K-Mart. Thier signs above were red and gold letters.Oh Niesners.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: West Town (64.107.32.---)
Date: October 02, 2015 07:56PM

Are you thinking of Jupiter's?

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2015 08:07PM

[b]no[/b]West Town Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you thinking of Jupiter's?

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2015 12:49AM

I loved Goldblatts beef sticks. We would buy them by the pound. My Aunt worked at Goldblatts in the hosiery department at 47th & Ashland.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2015 11:55AM

Goldblatt's had the best ginger snaps in the world. They were actually spicy with ginger. I still miss them.

When I was a kid, my mother (a mopar fanatic til the day she died) would take our Dodge Coronet station wagon to the dealership at Grand and Harlem for servicing.

We would tag along and make a day of it. Usually we would catch the Grand and Nordica bus and go downtown. Navy Pier (when it was still a pier) or the Historical Society or maybe riding the elevators in the Prudential building.

When we got back, we would stop at the Grand and Harlem Goldblatt's. My mom would give us a few bucks and park us in line at the candy counter while she went of to pick up some hose or other unmentionables. She loved the chocolate covered orange peels. I could never stand them things. But we would always get a small sack of ginger snaps. They were delicious. We would ration them, eating only one or two a day, in the hope of making them last until the next time we needed our tires rotated.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: October 05, 2015 01:08PM

I remember Grand Harlem Motors very well. They were unusual in as much as they were an Imperial/Chrysler/Dodge dealership. The usual pairing was Imperial/Chrysler/Plymouth and other dealerships were Dodge and Dodge trucks. My dad bought a 1965 Newport there, and I would regularly walk down there from Addison Street to see the new model cars every September that would be stored at the back of their used car lot before the official release!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact