White Eagle Milwaukee Ave. Niles

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
White Eagle Milwaukee Ave. Niles
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 01:40PM

I believe the White Eagle stands where another restaurant or bar stood and was remodeled and greatly expanded. Does anybody remember the old name? Further down the street, the VFW operated a banquet hall at the old Bunker Hill Country club. Can anybody name any of the other restaurants/bars that operated along this stretch of Milwaukee Ave. in Niles?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: White Eagle Milwaukee Ave. Niles
Date: November 03, 2010 12:40PM

I did some more research and found that prior to the White Eagle, there was a restaurant/bar and even further back a picnic grove called Tromba's. Old newspaper articles mentioned picnics with 2,000 people so the grove must have been a fair size.

I don't know why there were a number of commercial picnic groves way back when especially in this case when a Forest Preserve was so close by. I assume it had something to do with availability of electricity,food,rest rooms and possibly the restrictions on alcohol consumption.

[b]Additioinal info.

Ted Przybylo bought Trombas in March of 1967. ( Aug. of 66 he purchased Helen & Mikes next door ) Prior to that time he owned and operated the Andrew House on Division St. in Chicago.

He combined both places in Niles and extended the building about 100 ft. east. Then , in 1979 , he expanded the white eagle to the 68,000. sq. ft. facility they have today. ( The original building of Trombas is within the current newer building )

The Przybylo family still operates and the site has a restaurant,store,banquet halls and catering business.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 08:07PM by Kchi.

AD:

Date: November 08, 2010 02:35PM

Found a reference for another commercial picnic grove along that stretch of Milwaukee Ave called the Marvel Inn located at 6873 N. Milwaukee Ave in Niles.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2010 09:13PM

I remember the "House of Tromba" restaurant. My family would make a trip to St. Adelbert's Cemetery (across the street from Tromba's) a few times a year to visit family graves. This was usually on Memorial Day and Mother's Day.

Tromba's was much like a no-frills roadhouse; a bar an restaurant divided by a center wall. No air conditioning, gravel parking lot, I think a knotty pine interior. On a hot summer afternoon I remember the back door to the parking lot was left wide open for some air circulation.

Polish waitresses served chicken or duck blood soup, lunch platters; roast chicken or hamburgers, beer and soft drinks.

I think "Tromba" means trumpet and remember some sort of signage to that effect over the entrance on the corner of the building.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 02:23AM

Kchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know why there were a number of commercial
> picnic groves way back when especially in this
> case when a Forest Preserve was so close by. I
> assume it had something to do with availability of
> electricity,food,rest rooms and possibly the
> restrictions on alcohol consumption.

Probably because it was within easy walking distance of the Milwaukee Avenue streetcar terminal at Imlay.

AD:

Posted by: sandlotstudio (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 06:56PM

The White Eagle was originally called the Silverleaf Tavern. Not sure when the name change occurred.

My Grandmother's sister owned the Marvel Inn at 6873 Milwaukee. What is now The Chambers Restuarant at 6881 Milwuakee used to belong to my grandparents. In the late 20's they opened a storefront deli that Grandma ran and Grandpa (who was a judge) used to hear cases in the back (hence the name, The Chambers).

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 10:40PM

[b]The White Eagle is Polish. I believe it was years ago about 1500 w. Emma St.Now cortez. White Eagle is like the stars and strips to us.[My parents had thier wedding reception there in the late 20's./b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 12:16AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: crane699 (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 07, 2014 02:23PM

Sandlotstudio I saw your grandparents owned Marvel Inn which is not Chamber's restaurant but capons hideout. I know it was a restaurant in the 70's and 80's called Zofia's I have a photo of Marvel Inn if your interested is a scan from Niles history book email me if you like me to send Patrick Crane

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2014 05:47PM

The Chamber's Resturant was called Wild Fire back in the late 70's I believe. I can remember Zofia's Resturant in the mid 1970's. I ate there a few times and had lunch there with the family after my Mom's funeral. Then is was was called the Village Cafe and Pub back around 2007 and now Capone's Hideout. I think Zofia's moved to Arlington Heights on Rand Road.

The building that the Chamber's is in was built around 1968. The building that Zofia's was in, was built around 1909. The Marvel Inn sounds so familar to me but I can't place it on Milwaukee. Wasn't it on the corner of W Ebinger and Milwaukee at one time? I like to see that picure of the Marvel Inn. Do you have it posted on Flickr or anywhere?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 06:13PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: October 15, 2014 04:35PM

I didn't realize that the White Eagle also had a restaurant as well as the banquet facilities. A friend took me out to dinner last Saturday, and I was surprised how nice the food and service were. The really interesting part is that Mayor Przybylo came over and asked us how we were doing and how we enjoyed the meal. He was quite personable and you could see he oversaw the operation of the whole place. My friend's mother had worked for his dad in their older banquet hall and they were exchanging anecdotes about the place.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 01:05PM

u

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 01, 2016 04:46PM

btt

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact