Globe Bowl

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Globe Bowl
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 02:46PM

There was a bowling alley at 4949 S.Aberdeen called Globe Bowl. What happened to that place?, How Big was it? & How big was it's sign?.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Globe Bowl
Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 12:36AM

As a kid, I lived very close to Globe Bowl....It disappeared about 10 yrs ago...the current location is some sort of flatbed storage and assembly facility, and the actual structure is gone..

the parking lot and building extended all the way from 50th Street to the RR tracks....the place was very very popular at one time.....I remember them laying the foundation sometime in the early 60's...

before that, it was a lumber yard for many, many years....

we used to play "fast pitch" baseball against the wall, in the rear parking lot of Globe Bowl and if you hit it over the fence it was a home run, and if you hit it on the RR tracks it was a grand slam

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 02:05PM

"Fast pitch" Thanks for that memory. Got any chalk handy ?? ;-)

AD:

Posted by: dmr37 (63.139.146.---)
Date: January 22, 2015 05:53PM

I think it had 32 lanes.

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (180.191.112.---)
Date: January 24, 2015 12:26AM

There is a Globe Bowl at 6218 South Loomis not far from the original. I worked at Globe lumber as a teen-ager in 1957 during the summer months and that area was pretty run down even then.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 09:09PM

Here is some info on Globe Bowl, 4949 South Aberdeen and a picture from Dr. Jake's website,

https://bowlinghistory.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/globe-bowl-chicago-bowling-alley/

World’s Invitational Tournament 1964

https://bowlinghistory.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/worlds-invitational-tournament-1964/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 09:20PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact