SouthTown Hospital

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
SouthTown Hospital
Posted by: Adella1 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 05:33AM

I was born in SouthTown Hospital in Chicago in 1948 I know the hospital is gone but I can't find out anything about this hospital on the Web even where it was located, since my Mom passed away I can't ask her where it was, has anyone ever heard of it?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: SouthTown Hospital
Posted by: BWChicago (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 01:31PM

Use the Chicago Tribune Historical Edition, available online through many libraries. It was located at 5701 Wood. It was a building started as an apartment building around 1925, but never finished. It opened in 1932. It changed to Central Community Hospital in 1958, and closed in 1990. The building still stands.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:32PM

I know it well. You can look it up on google maps and get a close up picture of it. If it is still there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 09:33PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: RegularGuy55 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 09:01PM

After Central Community Hospital closed, the building was re-purposed by a non-profit organization called 'Interventions'. It was one of several alcohol and substance abuse inpatient facilities the company ran - all of which were housed in shuttered hospitals. The facility is called 'Southwood Interventions' today and I believe is still operating as a drug & alcohol rehab center.

AD:

Posted by: nora bernhard (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2014 05:26AM

Do you happen to know if their records were destroyed or if they are archived somewhere? In 1952 it was a home for unwed mothers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2014 05:28AM by nora bernhard.

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 08:04PM

Opened and operated by the DeMoon brothers, Pat and I don't recall the other.

They owned a second hospital on the north side that was sold, renamed and called Sacred Heart most recently. That facility is in the news now for some bad allegations and was closed down by the government last year.

AD:

Posted by: Longford (---.c3-0.arm-ubr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2015 06:25PM

My maternal grandfather, a Chicago Policeman, died at Southtown Hospital.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact