Post Offices

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Post Offices
Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 10:50PM

So what are the other offices features now besides the furniture shop?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Post Offices
Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 04:23AM

One is obviously a church, but most of the others are being used for something we couldn't determine. A couple are outright abandoned.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 01:03PM

BTW another great page, can't wait for Bridges!!

AD:

Posted by: JonnyOYeah (---.stc-1.depaul.edu)
Date: March 13, 2008 12:22PM

Got one more for you that I found the other day -- 48th and Kedzie. Its now an auto repair shop and amateur boxing school (you can find it in StreetView). This site was replaced by the "Elsdon Postoffice" on 47th and Troy.

AD:

Date: March 13, 2008 07:12PM

Whoa -- that stucco (or whatever) re-fronting is awful, I guess thats why we probably never noticed it used to be a post office. Thanks though -- we'll add it to the page in a future update, along with some others we know of.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: March 27, 2008 04:57PM

It doesn't fit into the scope of the article, but in Des Plaines there's a house that originally was the general store and post office for what was then Orchard Place. The house still belongs to the family, and they have the old postage cancelling stamps including an air mail stamp which has the ORD (Orchard Place Airport) designator.

They still ran the airfield's post office until the Douglas plant was built during the war.

AD:

Date: March 27, 2008 06:47PM

Hmm... thats pretty damn cool. It could possibly be included in the article or in a future article; we're including the whole metro region in the site, not just the city.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Posted by: curtis (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 08:52PM

Former post office/ now tortilleria on 18th Street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86125374@N00/2363162341/

AD:

Posted by: Serhii (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2008 04:13AM

We only recently got a picture of the 18th street post office. Buildings on the south side of the street are by far and away the toughest to photograph.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 08:37PM

6315 S. Langley is the former Jackson Park Station (now a church), very similar to the one on South Chicago Ave.

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: October 08, 2009 05:54PM

There used to be a post office between 64th and 65th S. Central Avenue, not sure of the original address but the building is 6425 S. Central now, you can see it on Street View. This was replaced by the Clearing Post Office on Archer and Laramie or thereabouts.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 07:48PM

Prior to 1970 there was a PO at what is the today the site of an international grocery 2636 W. Devon Ave. Street views reveal that the facade along Devon has been completely re-bricked, but on the Talman Ave side the original loading docks remain in place.

AD:

Posted by: dsadowski (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:41PM

Elmwood Park and the Mont Clare/Galewoods area of chicago have always shared a post office (and zip code). Since 1964, the post office has been in Elmwood Park, but before that, it was located in Chicago.

The building is still there and is now a restaurant located on Harlem Ave. maybe a block or so north of Grand (near Altgeld, I recall). My dad used to work there.

You can still see windows with bars on 'em on the side of the building.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:13PM

i wish i could find more information about the p.o. that was on cicero across from Ford City mall in the early 70's. it was primarily surrounded by woods there, and was right before that little feeder bridge that crossed over cicero. as far back as i can remember, the building was in disuse but was an awesome piece of blue tile art-deco architecture. would that have been the old bedford park p.o.? anyone know of any photos in existence? i'm 41 and NO ONE seems to remember this post office but me.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 12:48AM

Crow, I definitely remember the post office building that you described. I don't think though that it was an actual PO open to the public. I could be wrong, but never saw it as open to the public. It seemed that it was more of a drop-off/pick-up stop (for lack of a better term) I remember seeing the PO trucks parked outside in the adjoining lot. Truthfully though, I can't remember what the building looked like and I'm a bit older than you! Probably, I just really didn't pay that close attention.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 01:00AM

How about 47th and marshfield address would be 4714 S. Marshfield???

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 01:05AM

Bwalsh, you're right, I think it was a processing facility. If I recall correctly, it was light blue tile with darker blue trim. it is visible on historicaerials.com at least from the 1972 date. at least someone else remembers it besides me!

AD:

Posted by: dkennycpd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2015 06:16AM

On 103rd street, just east of Vincennes, across from Julian HS, there was a post office right by Brennan's Meat Market. The building was many things, now abandonded, it still say's United States Post Office across the top. That's where we all got our social security cards and went to read the wanted posters.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 12:28PM

I really liked the 'satellite' post offices that used to be appended to other types of stores, i.e. a drugstore could also have bona-fide postal services, like weighing packages for dispatch, getting forms, making postal money orders, etc (besides just buying stamps). But the USPS seems to've phased this practice out back about a dozen years. A bad move as far as I'm concerned. I say 'seems' though because I'm aware of a new one of this type that opened in Chicago a few years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2015 12:30PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: August 24, 2015 01:30PM

The Dunning Post Office has been at its current location forever. I have seen pictures of the building at that location going back to the 1880's and the post office was there. It appears to have been a frame building at that time. When I was young, back in the 1950s, the post office was much smaller, and a grey stone front building. That building was remodeled and expanded maybe back in the 1960s to its current configuration. A few years ago the post office bought the funeral home to the west and knocked the building down for more parking. Kind of a shame, because I knew the funeral director well and could park in his lot when visiting the post office. Now its fenced off and you have to try and find somewhere to park on the street.

In regards to satellite post offices, the Rosemont Post Office, at 9507 W. Higgins, is really a satellite of the Des Plaines Post office. They share the same zip code. It offers most services but is only open Monday-Friday. It's just staffed with one lady, Kathy, who is a sweetheart there. I keep a PO Box there mainly because its impossible to park anywhere near the Dunning PO.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact