Hamburger joints/grill

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Hamburger joints/grill
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:37PM

Anyone remember the hamburger place that had the dancing can can girl at the top of it. the place was called frenchies.it was run by a couple of guys behind the counter. one guy would take your order and ask you what you wanted. you would say hamburger and then he would yell out hamburger .then the other guy would say hamburger and then grill it up.it was a fun place.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Hamburger joints/grill
Posted by: Llepke (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:48PM

I remember Ting-a-Ling that was on Division second or third storefront west of Dearborn between Coopertop restaurant and Chester's pizza, they had REALLY good hamburgers

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 01:09AM

Anybody remember the Buss Drive in on 95th in Oaklawn? That was in the 50's Car hops and all. We stopped there on the way to the Starlite Drive in Movie on 95th and Ridgeland.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 01:53AM

[s][/s]Hamburger joints/grill new
Date: January 25, 2010 12:37PM

Anyone remember the hamburger place that had the dancing can can girl at the top of it. the place was called frenchies.it was run by a couple of guys behind the counter. one guy would take your order and ask you what you wanted. you would say hamburger and then he would yell out hamburger .then the other guy would say hamburger and then grill it up.it was a fun place.

I remember a place on Western, North of Foster on the east side of the street called
:Beefy 19". They had small juicey hamburgers, I think small like white castle's.

Also I think a WIMPY's" was at either Foster & Western or Foster & lincoln.

AD:

Posted by: Llepke (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 12:54PM

I wasnt born until 1959 but I remember the Starlite drive-in and the trampolines and go-carts

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 05:09PM

I remember eating at the Beefy 19 at Foster/ Western. The hamburgers may have been slightly larger than White Castle and about as good as Mc Ds.
I can't remember a Wimpys in the vicinity of Foster and Lincoln. However, there was a Red Barn on Lincoln a block north of Foster that had pretty good burgers. All of the before mentioned seemed to meet my demanding taste standards back in the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 07:02PM by shoreline.

AD:

Posted by: cricket (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 11:20PM

Frenchies?! Oh my goodness where was that place located? I heard I ate there as a kid but I have very little recollection. And where can I find pictures?

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 03:22AM

Shoreline...I remember Beefy 19, but where exactly was it? I remember Henry's on the NW corner of Foster and Western.

AD:

Date: March 14, 2010 04:42AM

I think it was on foster or western I was a kid when we went there. did you ever see Saturday night live when John Belushi did the guy behind the counter in the restaurant.he would say cheeseburger cheeseburger no Pepsi.it was just like those guys at Frenchies . do you think John ever ate there?

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoJoe (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:19PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody remember the Buss Drive in on 95th in
> Oaklawn? That was in the 50's Car hops and all.
> We stopped there on the way to the Starlite Drive
> in Movie on 95th and Ridgeland.

Buss Drive In was a regular stop for me in the 60’s. Another popular drive in Oak Lawn was the A&W on Cicero just north of Southwest Highway. A&W was almost as big as Skip’s with the muscle cars back then. The most popular late night place for teens in Oak Lawn back in the 60’s and 70’s was White Castle on 95th.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 01:39AM by ChicagoJoe.

AD:

Date: March 28, 2010 10:24PM

Tim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shoreline...I remember Beefy 19, but where exactly
> was it? I remember Henry's on the NW corner of
> Foster and Western.

Tim,
I checked it out and Beefy 19 was at Berwyn and Western. Great memory on Henry's location at Foster. At first , I could only recall their other nearby site on Lincoln north of Devon.

AD:

Posted by: sevinuv9 (---.194.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 01, 2010 11:40AM

Frenchies? Sounds like it might have been the inspiration for that Saturday Night Live skit that John Belushi did with Dan Akroyd. Belushi was from Chicago, born in 1949. Did you ever see it? There are two guys running a small burger joint, and all they serve is hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and coke. One guy takes the orders and calls them out to the other guy,at the grill. If two burgers are ordered, he'll yell out, "hamburger, hamburger." Then, the other guy repeats it.

AD:

Date: April 01, 2010 01:25PM

I was always under the impression that the Belushi skit was patterned after the Billy Goat.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2010 02:01PM

the inspiration for the "cheezborger" bit on SNL was the Billy Goat on lower Michigan Ave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Goat_Tavern

AD:

Posted by: gone2222 (---.internet.mymmode.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 10:28AM

So I don't go on thinking I"m crazy: was there once a few Minor Dunn hamburger joints in the city, south side?

I remember going to them (I think) when I was very young.

Now the only one left is in Highland, IN.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 09:15PM

For a very short time, there was a Minor Dunn location at about 104th and Cicero in Oak Lawn. It's a Huck Finn now. I want to say that was maybe mid to late 90s when it was Minor Dunn. I think way back (before my time) there was another location somewhere on the south side. I remember my parents and my aunt mentioning them.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 09:21PM

Found this too:
http://chuckmancollectionvolume16.blogspot.com/2009/11/chicago-photo-minor-dunn-hamburger-shop.html

1732 E. 79th St. in Chicago
I also read that there was a location at 123rd and Ashland in Cal Park.

AD:

Posted by: gone2222 (---.internet.mymmode.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 11:46AM

Thanks for the replies about Minor-Dunn.

I do remember ( I think)) the Huck Finn location being a Minor-Dunn for about sixty seconds.

The location at 123rd/Ashland was what I remember. Before interstates we used to stop there on my way to my uncle's in far off St. John, IN.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 01:09PM

[b]The skit was patterned after Billy Goat and filmed there. He was from Chicago.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 12:59AM

Whatever happened to Henry's Hamburgers? There was one on Milwaukee and Belmont--don't remember any others in the city.

My friends and I were amazed that we could buy a 15 cent burger and 10 cent fries in the neighborhood. The other items were equally as cheap. It was popular until it closed, but I'm not sure when that was, or why.

It was I think the first burger chain near us.

AD:

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact