Hamburger joints/grill

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Hamburger joints/grill
Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: March 01, 2013 12:23PM

Hugh Manatee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Little Eddies had the greatest sandwich...The
> SUPER DOG ! A Mary Ann Poppyseed bun,a TOM TOM
> TAMALE split lengthwise, an all Beef Vienna Hot
> Dog in the tamale, Squeese Cheese, Chili, and
> topped with onions and Tomato. BURRRP..GOOOD !

YES !!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 10:31PM

There was a Henrys on western ave. just north of belmont.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2013 05:24PM

There was a Henry's on the corner of Nagle and Foster about 1968 and then closed. It reopened as a carpet store and eventually was torn down. I use to go to the Henry's on Foster and Western for breakfast in 1973. I had a free period at 9:00 am and my stage crew buddies and myself would sneak out and go there.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 02:48AM

On Higgins, near Foster is an old building of "The Red Barn" hamburger chain. Now called 'Big Top' family restaurant. The old 'Red Barn' sign was remodeled to look like a circus tent.

AD:

Date: April 24, 2013 07:46PM

@tomcat630, The Big Top has been there since the 1970's. I don't think it ever was a Red Barn Restaurant. That building was built in 1973. There use to be a Red Barn on Harlem just south of Higgins on the east side of the street. It is gone now. The Red Barn's where huge buildings that looked like a barn as well. The last time I ate the Big Top was back in the late 1970's early 1980's and I believed it was called the Big Top as well.

There use to be a Red Barn on Lincoln Ave., just north of Foster on the east side of the street.

There's pictures of restaurants gone by the way side on Craig's Lost Chicago including the Red Barn.

http://www.craigslostchicago.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 08:01PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 03:39AM

I'm just going my my memory, but the Big Top sign is a reused Red Barn one. It has the same shape as other Red Barn pic in craigslostchicago site. They added a 'tent top'.

Also, there is a "silo" still next to the Big Top's building. [I checked Google earth to compare/contrast.] I am thinking they removed the top 'barn' roof, which would be empty space.

But, it's just by memory of driving past it back then. Someone with a 1968-70 era Yellow pages of NW side could verify.

AD:

Date: April 29, 2013 01:32PM

Check out the Historic Aerials, before 1972, there was nothing there. I also checked the property address with department of records and it shows that it was built around 1972. There use to be a structure on the corner, what is now the parking lot. It looks like they built a new restaurant behind the old one. The sign always reminded me of the Red Barn as well. Maybe they did it to compete with the Red Barn business on Harlem Avenue.

AD:

Posted by: Ksiejko (132.189.76.---)
Date: April 30, 2013 03:30PM

I remember the Henry's on Milwaukee and Belmont, it closed in the early 70's, and became a used car lot if I'm not mistaken.

AD:

Posted by: john_shannon_jr (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 10:55PM

My Dad worked at Gossage grill at the 79 street location, and my Grandmother worked at the Steinway Drugs on the corner of 79th and Ashland in the 60's

AD:

Posted by: jvp55 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 26, 2013 06:26PM

There used to be a Henry's at foster/central/nwhwy Also where the small mall at Milwaukee/higgens, used to be a theater.music venue that had wimpy's rest.

AD:

Posted by: giblif (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2013 06:49PM

How about the Lighthouse Grill on the corner of Grand and Western. Paternos Restaurant was to the north and to the south was an old army tank.

AD:

Date: October 05, 2013 04:26AM

@gibif Check this out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98036041@N04/10095241945/

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (75.115.202.---)
Date: October 14, 2013 03:12PM

Grill on 69th Street, near Honore? Ate there for lunches in 1955, went to St. Justin Martyr

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2013 11:31PM

Last Henry's I remember was 2 blocks north of the city limits, in Lincolnwood at about 6600 N. Lincoln.

But the best burger joint I can remember was Cooper & Cooper's at 4750 N. Kimball, across the street from the Kimball EL terminal. Any Albany Parkers out there? ;-)

Frank, the owner, would stick his hand down into a container of fresh ground beef, pull out a handful, slap it down onto the grill, and in a minute you had the best 25 cent burger in the world. What a treat.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: skiddlesdude (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:45PM

Actually, John Belushi grew up in Wheaton and his father had a restaurant that they patterned that skit after. It was later assumed to be Billy Goats but who really knows...Dan Akroyd??

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: December 11, 2013 07:20PM

Belushi's father's restaurant was on Irving Park Road, just east of Lavergne, on the north side of the street. Can't remember the name of the place off hand, but it was a Colombian steak house the last time I drove by.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 10:11PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I ran a hamberger/hot dog stand in the 50's at
> > 51st and wolcott. It was a trailer on the
> north
> > west corner. ASnybody remember it?
>
>
> In the 50's or so, did a guy namded Leo own that
> place, or have anything to do with it? I think
> his last name was Kohl.

Yes Leo had it before us then he opened up his new place on 51st & Hermitage. His name was Leo Roupas.

AD:

Date: December 12, 2013 04:42PM

Dunning1, was it on the corner of Laporte and Irving? "las tablas" Steak House is there now.

AD:

Posted by: lhaptas (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 02:56PM

Ok, BullHubbard,

I know this is kind of old -- but first time I saw it. Yes! I remember Gus & Mae's on California. Nicest people -- especially Mae. Gus was kind of hard of hearing. They did make the best burgers -- think it was the grilled onions and pickles that made it.

Before that time, the same place was a grocery store -- Frank & Ann's. They were a pretty old couple (at least to my maybe 7 years of age) and they had a daughter that also worked there. Think they lived in the back.

Golden days of Brighton Park!

AD:

Posted by: lhaptas (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 02:59PM

By the way . . .

When I was a kid, there was a Henry's at Archer and Cicero. Think it was on the corner where the former Brandi's is located (now also closed).

AD:

Current Page: 4 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact