Old, but not Forgotten Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Old, but not Forgotten Stores
Posted by: shekaago (---.tmodns.net)
Date: October 20, 2009 01:58AM

Does anyone remember Stop N Shop, Steinberg Baum, Community, Turn Style and Zayre stores? My grandmother would take me shopping to these places when I was a kid. We'd also go to Goldblatt's and to eat at the Tartain Tray restaurant inside of Wieboldt's on State St. It's a shame these places are gone. Times are a' changin'...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old, but not Forgotten Stores
Posted by: Quartermaine56 (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 12:44AM

Yes I remember the stores you mentioned, I also recall several more such as: Chas A. Stevens (State Street), Bonds (Various Locations),Woolworths (Various Locations)and books stores on Wabash Ave such as B. Dalton and K&B. Steinway's Drug store was also a popular Southside neighborhood store. Gone are days of those retailers.

AD:

Posted by: cadelew (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 12:47AM

My dad bought everything at GoldBlatt's! I also remember Kresge's.

AD:

Date: November 18, 2009 09:59PM

I found an interesting blog with links to other pages on forgotten shops and stores. Some great photos too!
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2008/10/requiem-for-randhurst.html

AD:

Date: November 18, 2009 10:06PM

Thanks for the mention of those by-gone establishments! It brings back so many memories....

AD:

Posted by: greatzambo (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 10:54AM

Not to nitpick, but the restaurants in Wieboldt's were The Men's Grill and The Travertine Room and The Tartan Tray Cafeteria was in Carson's.
Steinberg Baum was a northwest side fixture.
Community, who brought us Flash Gordon on Sunday mornings on Channel 7, was at Milwaukee and Central and is now a Family Dollar.
Greed, drugs, and idiocy brought down Goldblatt's and Polk Brothers. Polk City was the anchor of the Belmont and Central area. I can still smell the salami in the deli section of Goldblatt's and can picture the Hires Root Beer barrel behind the counter.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-242-74.myvzw.com)
Date: June 03, 2010 01:46PM

So sorry for the error. Thanks for the correction, Greatzambo. Indeed, the Tartan Tray was in Carson's and not Wieboldt's. Your mention of Community also made me think of another long-gone store, Saxon's Paint, which was also located on a corner of the that busy Milwaukee, Central, Foster, Northwest Highway intersection.

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 07:43AM

How about Jupiter and Robert Hall? Hirsch, Thom McAnn, L.Fish and Libby's, all in the Lincoln Belmont Ashland corridor?

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 02:40PM

Robert Hall where the value goes up,up, up and the prices go down, down, down, or something like that.

I see no mention yet of Nelson Bros. Furniture.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 03:28PM

Here's a website I found that will bring back a lot of memories. Mainly pictures of these old places like Robert Hall. Enjoy.

http://www.craigslostchicago.yolasite.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 04:47PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 03, 2013 04:30PM

Steinberg Baum had two locations, one at about 3401 N. Cicero, now a post office, and another at the northwest corner of Grand Avenue and 72nd Court, adjacent to the Goldblatts that used to be there. That Elmwood Park site is now part of Caputo's parking lot. One store not mentioned was CMA, Consumer Mart Of America, which was in the 4700 block of N. Harlem Avenue, in Harwood Heights. It was the precursor of the warehouse store, and you had to have a card to enter there. It was one the site of the shopping center with the Denny's, Aldi's and Burlington Coat Factory, but was an entirely different building that has since been torn down. A big treat was George Raft welcoming shoppers as it opened. The store included a grocery department, and a gas station located where the LP Motel now is on Harlem. There were a lot of rumors that the store was mob connected, and it subsequently became a Community Discount Store, while the grocery department became a Kohl's Grocery Store. Kohl's also took over the old Mayflower at Addison and Central, which subsequently became a Dominick's, and was later torn down.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 06:49PM

69th and Hermiage N.E.corner
ESPANOL's-VENTURA DRY GOODS. A DRY GOODS STORE IN THE HEART OF AN ITALIAN NEIGHBORHOOD.
YOU COULD KNOCK ON HIS SIDE WINDOW WHERE HIS BEDROOM WAS LOCATED
IN THE EVENT THE STORE WAS CLOSED, HE WOULD OPEN UP TO MAKE THE SALE ANY HOUR.
MR. VENTURA SPOKE SEVERAL LANGUAGES, AND HE WAS VERY FUNNY.
I THINK THE BUILDING STILL STANDS.
DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER???

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 07:18PM

A few local department stores I remember are Winsberg's on the 6100 block of north Clark street and the Crawford (sometimes called simply Crawford's) out on Devon (around California maybe). The Crawford was gone by the 1980's and Winsberg's held on until about ten years ago. There was another neigborhood department store on Clark street somewhere in Andersonville but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. A lot of these places propped up their business by being the exclusive dealers of school uniforms for neighborhood schools.

AD:

Posted by: SUZQ115 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 09:29PM

My aunt worked lat Crawford's for many years. I remember Carl the shoe salesman. Kids would get a balloon with their new shoes. Ther was a bowling alley upatairs. What was the other department store close to there? I think it began with an A.

AD:

Posted by: ChiTownJim (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 10:56AM

Wasn't there a department store called Arlen's or Alden's.I remember a warehouse type store on the corner of Roosevelt and Cicero where my family went several times. Didn't it become Turnstyle or am I confusing two different stores?

I remember a Turnstyle on Kostner near Grand when I was very young which turned into Venture and a National on armitage and Kostner which turned into a Butera's Finer foods. There were several Zayre stores that we used to go to frequently, and I remember a Community near where the Brickyard is (was?).

Wasn't there a Mayflower store next to that Community there? Most of these stores except Venture and Zayre were gone by the mid to late 70s and I vaguely remember them.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 08:54PM

As a small kid I remember going there with my Mother. Two things about it stand out in my memory. First, the yellow tinted window shades that gave the interior a golden glow when the late afternoon sun shown through. Secondly how old and quaint the store seemed to me even then in the mid to late 50s when all the stores were old and quaint. In those days we walked everywhere for shopping. It was not uncommon to walk from 69th & Wood to Armands Department Store, just east of Ashland, then north to the 63rd & Ashland shopping area.

On our way home I would beg my mother to stop by the house on the NE corner of 68th and Wood that had a beautiful stone garden in the yard. It had a knee-high wall along the 68th street sidewalk so visitors could easily se his creation. Crowds of people would stop on warm summer evenings to enjoy the man's work. He had waterfalls and colored landscaping lights before anyone else was doing this. FYI, I recently did a street view of that intersection and the stone knee wall is still there, but the rest is long gone. I also noticed that my alma mater, St Mary grammar school building is gone. It looks like the church, rectory and parking lot are still there, but no more school.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 03:32AM

I remember Aldens, they had a warehouse and outlet store at Roosevelt & Cicero as Chitownjim mentioned. I went there numerous times during the early 70's. I don't remember what happened to them though.

AD:

Posted by: gglow (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 07:57PM

Another Robert Hall diddy.
School bells ringing children singing back to Robert Hall this year.
Mother knows for brand new clothes it's back to Robert Hall.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 08:07PM

gglow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another Robert Hall diddy.
> School bells ringing children singing back to
> Robert Hall this year.
> Mother knows for brand new clothes it's back to
> Robert Hall.

"Robert Hall this season
Will show you the reason
High Quality
Economy"

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 12, 2013 01:12AM

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bOwuhAGpU&playnext=1&list=PL7FBBEA7861D617B0&feature=results_video]BOTH Robert Hall jingles[/url]

AD:

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact