Old, but not Forgotten Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Old, but not Forgotten Stores
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2013 02:20AM

Mornac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BOTH Robert Hall jingles

That's Les Paul and Mary Ford doing those jingles.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 04:02PM

There were two retail stores that predated the big-box discount outlets: Advance Sales on Pulaski north of Irving, and Central Sales on Milwaukee Ave. south of Central Park.

Our family purchased things like window fans, wading pools, hula hoops, hair dryers, etc.

It was a favorite shopping place for parish clubs when they needed to buy gifts for raffles. Often they would beg for freebies or discounts and sometimes get them.

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 12:32AM

Grew up around
Lincoln Belmont and Ashland. Goldblatt's,Wieboldts, Hirsch, Lerner's Thom McAnn, Kotz shoes, Jupiter, L. Fish, Nelson Bros. Robert Hall, Saxons, Woolworths, Fannie Mae, Record roost, Rose records, Double dog, and a few dozen others I cant think of right now. Who needed malls?

AD:

Posted by: terry m (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 09:46PM

bizare bizare the first hippy flee market in 72

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-207-63.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2013 03:06AM

I remember the Bizarre Bazar on Wells. All sorts of tie-dyed stuff, borosilicate bongs that looked like they had been made from lab glasware, and all sorts of footware. I bought a pair of Japenese-style thongs, and later a pair of Kork Ease knock-offs, both in men's sizes, in the mid-70's. Wish I'd held onto them.

AD:

Posted by: Karen (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 11:13AM

Posted by: ChiTownJim (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)

Date: January 06, 2013 07:56AM

Wasn't there a department store called Arlen's or Alden's.I remember a warehouse type store on the corner of Roosevelt and Cicero where my family went several times. Didn't it become Turnstyle or am I confusing two different stores?

I remember a Turnstyle on Kostner near Grand when I was very young which turned into Venture and a National on armitage and Kostner which turned into a Butera's Finer foods. There were several Zayre stores that we used to go to frequently, and I remember a Community near where the Brickyard is (was?).

Wasn't there a Mayflower store next to that Community there? Most of these stores except Venture and Zayre were gone by the mid to late 70s and I vaguely remember them.

I remember going to 'Aldens' on Roosevelt & Cicero. I also remember shopping at Zayres and Community. Great stores for sure!

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 06:31PM

The former Venture at Kostner and Grand is now Cook Bros.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2013 01:04PM

How About Steinberg Baum on 63rd & Springfield ?

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2013 07:55PM

@Karen, Aldens was a mail order company that closed in 1982 after being sold to Wicks Lumber in the 1970's. They sold mostly clothes and home furnishings but branched out by 1980. I bought a clock radio in 1981 right before they closed. They also opened sixteen stores in the Midwest as well. The office and warehouse buildings is still there, (Roosevelt and Cicero) but being used by other business.

AD:

Posted by: nscrwf (---.atw.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 05:39PM

How about the FAIR in downtown.. on State St. Every year we would go there by bus, the day after Thanksgiving, they would have such an awesome Christmas display.. like a Christmas wonderland. As for Robert Hall.. every year we would go and get new Easter outfits there... wow what a flash of memories.. I love it!

AD:

Posted by: ThenNowFuture (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 09:57AM

nscrwf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about the FAIR in downtown.. on State St.
> Every year we would go there by bus, the day after
> Thanksgiving, they would have such an awesome
> Christmas display.. like a Christmas wonderland.
> As for Robert Hall.. every year we would go and
> get new Easter outfits there... wow what a flash
> of memories.. I love it!

Oh, yeah, Robert Hall. No matter what you tried on, the salesman said it fit "poofikly". Didn't matter if the sleeves on the jacket were up to your elbows. LOL

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 12:41AM

I think the spelling was traditional but hyphenated: Bazaar-Bazaar

AD:

Posted by: Northsider (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 08:51PM

For the Lincoln, Belmont, Ashland area in the late 50's to early 60's, does anyone remember May Sons and Fox Bros.?

Back then May Sons had seasonal fashion shows where local high school girls would descend that long curving staircase from the second floor wearing the latest styles. In my senior year, I was selected to be the bridal gown model and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

For guys like my older brother, Fox Bros had the hippest clothing back in the early 50s.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2013 01:26AM

I didn't see these mentioned in previous posts: Paddor's, Kaufman's, Albert K's, Foxmoor Casuals, Richman Bros., Fran's, Madigan's, Three Sisters, Stuart's and I know there are others.

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 03:18AM

I remember the corner yard, on 68th and wood, the name in the backwall of the landscaped structure was Calzertta. I was in 4th gread at St. Marys of Mt Carmel. My dad would take us with him when he would walk our dog.there was a small store across from the rectory in the mid 60ies it was called Louie Capps. the yard to thesouth had a foutin in it filled with goldfish.We would walk to Sears on 64th and western until we got our first car.what a great neighborhood,

AD:

Posted by: giblif (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2013 01:39AM

Is anybody old enough to remember L, Kleins Dept. store near Maxwell St?

AD:

Posted by: Tom B (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 04, 2013 12:47PM

Goldblatts on 26th street was my first job in the deli. 40+ years later, I live 10 blocks away from the Goldblatt mansion in Downers Grove

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 07:30PM

I have memories of shopping with my parents in the 1940s at Montgomery Ward -- Chicago Avenue and the river -- and Wieboldts -- Lincoln/Belmont/Ashland. I remember especially Montgomery Ward's pre-Christmas toy displays; and Wieboldts' X-ray foot and shoe viewer, in their shoe department.

AD:

Posted by: giblif (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 11:53PM

My mother, Rae, worked as a sales girl for Goldblatts on Madison near "Crawford" in the 40's and 50's.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 04:36AM

@ Mornac, No Robert Hall jingle but If you wait a few seconds, it takes you to the Beachnut gum jingle. LOL

I haven't heard that in years!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 04:42AM by rjmachon.

AD:

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact