More about back of the yards

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
More about back of the yards
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2015 02:54PM

[b]How many are from the Back of the Yards. I grew up there, went to ss cyrils church & school, served hambergers and hot dogs on 51st & wolcott,lived across cornell park.This was from 1944 to 1956 when I married and moved to Brighton Park. Fixed TV for the 50 years. I am 79 years old and like to keep this site going so keep on posting. Everybody should have something to say.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: More about back of the yards
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2015 04:55PM

Btt

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2015 12:38AM

There was nothing like the Back of the Yards growing up. Lived at 50th & Oakley went to St Michaels at 48th & Damen. Played alot of 16in softball at all the playgrounds, Oakley, Hermitage, Strawhacker, Kostner. We took 3rd place in City in 56. Played the grammer school league at Cornell took 1st place in 58. I'm 70 and still enjoying the old memories.

AD:

Date: October 01, 2015 10:46AM

[bMe too and I am 79.Across cornell park on wolcott. 0 1957.][/b]

AD:

Date: October 02, 2015 01:24AM

How about the "DUMPS"? My older brother and I enjoyed many Saturday mornings there watching cartoons.

AD:

Date: October 02, 2015 11:36AM

[byou mean cornell theater. we went there a lot also.][/b]

AD:

Date: October 02, 2015 11:38AM

[b]rememder POPS the old man at th dumps? The Perons who owned the store at 51st & wolcott also owned the show.[/b]

AD:

Date: October 03, 2015 12:39AM

Rich,

You are really a Back of the Yarder because knew what we called the Cornell Show The Dumps. With all the people on this sight you would think more would be from the Yards. I remember the old man, he sure was loud. I remember the red curtain doors and the cat that walked the show looking for mice. You won't find that much fun these days. LOL

Do you remember the eye doctors office on 51st and Wolcott. Dr Kapustak.My mom use to go to him he was a family friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2015 12:41AM by SWEDE.

AD:

Date: October 03, 2015 11:37AM

[b]Yes I knew the eye doctor[/b]

AD:

Date: October 03, 2015 06:18PM

Rich,

Wasn't there a bank on that corner?

AD:

Date: October 04, 2015 11:24PM

[b]There was a bank and could still be there but it was in the 70's There was a drug store on n/e corner brabecks dept store on s/w corner a food store on the s/e corner and minoso's ice cream parlor on the n/w corner.[/b]

AD:

Date: October 04, 2015 11:46PM

Rich,
I remember all those places. We loved Minoso's almost as much as Gertties. My folks would buy furniture from Brabecks 90 days as same as cash. Ha! Ha! You can't do that anywhere now. For Christmas Brabecks would have a grab bag area down in the basement.

Do you remember the Kroger and the butcher shop east of Damen? How about Bransoms dress store or Damen Savings and Loan. I had a Christmas Club account there when I was a kid. I saved money from cutting grass, collecting soda bottle refunds and whatever money I got for birthdays etc.

AD:

Date: October 05, 2015 05:06PM

[b]I think the Kroger store was a 51st & Ashland. They used to have a niehborhood picknic once a year at a grove in summertime. I won a pound of bacon there.[/b]

AD:

Date: October 06, 2015 12:11AM

I remember the butcher shop always had saw dust on the floor. Also, a big jar of pickles.

AD:

Date: October 06, 2015 12:16AM

Rich,

Your right the Kroger was 51st street, but wasn't it 51st and Damen across from the the drug store?

AD:

Date: October 06, 2015 01:02AM

[b]51st & ashland about 5116 ashland.[/b]There was a food store on the south east corner of 51st & damen and an A&P a few doors east of Damen on the south side of 51st st street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 01:33PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: October 07, 2015 01:14AM

Rich,
You are so right. It was an A&P.

AD:

Date: October 07, 2015 11:39AM

[b]The bank came later. It used to be Brabecks dept store befor the bank. How about Paradise Ballroom? Gangs used to go there. It wasn't a place you would take your date. I took my accordion lessons at about 5119 s damen. Sarnas music store. Mrs Sarna passed in 2013 and was over 90 years old. I looked her up.[/b]

AD:

Date: October 07, 2015 01:28PM

Paradise Ballroom was owned by Monnos's Tap across the street from the Paradise. I went out with Beverly Monno in grammer school. I would walk her home and carry her books everyday. WOW

I believe Sarna also owned a tavern. My buddy Kenny Rak who lived on 53rd and Winchester took accordian lessons from her. He would of been 70 now a few years after you.

AD:

Date: October 08, 2015 11:00AM

[b][b]Me and my harmonica group were to play a Mono's but we passed it up. We were the Polish Harmonicats.[/b][/b]

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact