More about back of the yards

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: More about back of the yards
Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 02:05PM

That's funny we had a 5 piece band in the 60's that played for many Polish weddings, anniversaries, school dances street parties. I played the sax and Kenny from the Yards played the accordian and we called our band The Royal Crests. We had a chance to play at the Lemon Lounge on Pulaski and 63rd street however, some of us were not legal age. The good old times.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 03:03PM

[b]I still play the accordion at our ministry at a nursinghome for Sunday church . My wife leads the singing and then I preach. I called and thanked MRS sarna a few years ago befoe she passed for her teaching me music. I was like 13 years old at that time and took lessons for a few years. The Yards was a great place to grow up in for sure.[/b]

AD:

Date: October 10, 2015 12:10AM

Rich,

Good for you to be still playing. That's a great accomplisment.

I took sax lessons for about 5-6 months from a sax player my dad knew from Town Club Tavern before it became RS Hideaway. He played with Little Wallys Polka Band. I don't play anymore, however, I still can remember parts of some songs like "I'm in the mood for love", Tequlia, Somewhere over the rainbow. I had a Naked Lady One Eye Conn B flat tennor. I always said I would take some refresher lessons. My wife played the Clarinet in high school at Harper.

Going back to the Sarna's. I asked you if you knew Sarna's Tavern on 47th & Damen across from the ball fields. They also owned a rooming house, restaruant and bar in Twin Lakes, Lake Marie. We use to stay there sometimes and my cousin use to park his Century wooden speed boat there at their dock.

AD:

Date: October 10, 2015 12:45AM

[b]I don't know if that's the same Sarna. I only knew her as my music teacher. I do know the tavern on 47th st and if i'm right it a a hall upstairs were I went for a funeral lunch.[/b]

AD:

Date: October 10, 2015 11:42PM

I remember the hall above the tavern. Do you remember Bill Banana's restaurant caddy corner to the tavern?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2015 12:20AM

I grew up on the northwest side, but your mention of Lil Wally brings back memories. My family is pretty much Austrian/German, but when there were no German programs broadcast on Sunday mornings, my dad would listen to the Lil Wally polkas on the Polish broadcasts. It's funny, I have a good friend in Trenton who is from a Polish background, and I had to go and get him some Lil Wally CDs as he is still popular back in Trenton NJ.

One question for Swede: With a name like Swede, how did you get a job playing in a Polish Band?

AD:

Date: October 11, 2015 06:42PM

[b]Little Wally was big in the Polish community but he was Italian raised in a Polish niehborhood. Most people don't know that.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 06:44PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: October 11, 2015 06:47PM

SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember the hall above the tavern. Do you
> remember Bill Banana's restaurant caddy corner to
> the tavern?

Yes I do. Is a resturant still on that spot?

AD:

Date: October 11, 2015 11:39PM

Dunning wrote:

One question for Swede: With a name like Swede, how did you get a job playing in a Polish Band?

Swede was my nick name in grammer school. My dad was called Swede when he was growing up in the "Yards" It was because our last name was spelled Svid... being that we were Slovak my Dad/ Polish my Mom and I went to St Michaels a Slovak school, however, we then changed the "v" to a "w" and now my friends call me Swid. Alittle note of history LOL

Rich,
Not sure if there still is a restaurant where Bannan's was located. I know Bannan's burnt down in the 60's, however, they did rebuild.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-67.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 09:22PM

BTT.

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 12:36AM

What about the smell when the cattle trucks would come in at night for the morning slaughter. We all remember that.....

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2016 01:17AM

SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about the smell when the cattle trucks would
> come in at night for the morning slaughter. We all
> remember that.....

My father used to tell a story.
Back in the thirties, when he was courting my mother, he had just bought a new straw hat that he thought made him look very dapper and he hopped the Ashland streetcar to ride up to Bucktown to show it to her.

It was midsummer and he was riding past the yards when the wind shifted his way. The smell made him instantly sick to his stomach. To make a long story short, he threw up in his brand new hat.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-101.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2016 02:39AM

That's sad. Nothing to do but throw it away.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 19, 2016 02:22PM

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 05:05PM

On Friday mornings my Dad would cash his check at Drovers Bank on Ashland and afterwards we would go over to the slaughter house and watch them rustle the cattle off the trucks. Living in the yards the smell was something you got use to on most days, hot summers were touchey..............

AD:

Date: January 20, 2016 11:52PM

Keep it going

AD:

Date: January 21, 2016 04:29PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 22, 2016 01:46PM

btt

AD:

Date: January 22, 2016 02:24PM

My grandmother worked for Armour as a pork trimmer. It was always cold in the packing houses.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2016 11:43PM

BTT

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact