Roseland/Fernwood Neighborhoods

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Roseland/Fernwood Neighborhoods
Posted by: justacruzr2 (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 23, 2014 11:53PM

Starting a new thread with the hopes that you will share your memories of these two great neighborhoods that have a lot of history.

On 103rd street who remembers the Chicago incinerator at 103rd & Doty or Gately's stadium (still there) at 103rd & Cottage Grove, The Chicago Pumping Station at 103rd & Princeton, Hi-Lo at 103rd and Yale, Van der Meers coal yard at 103rd & Eggleston, the used car dealer at 103rd & Normal, Heinz Drug Store and Roney's Real Rich Ice Cream at 103rd & Lowe, LaSota's (corner store) at 103rd & Union and next door Hardy Glass Block (still there), Ryan's gas staion at 103rd & Emerald, Fernwood Cleaners at 103rd & Halsted or the A&P at 103rd & Green. Do any of you remember how the Chicago Public Library bus would stop once a week at the A&P and you could pick up a new book(s) and return finished ones?

Or all the stores up and down Michigan Avenue. The Chicago Pumping Station had indoor swimming and, believe it or not, you swam nude. That was the rules. Of course males and females did not swim at the same time.

Please share your memories. Let's make this one of the best topics.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Roseland/Fernwood Neighborhoods
Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 01:08AM

Dick Butkus lived at 10324 S Lowe and played ball at Fernwood Park. His family attended St Helena of the Cross at 101st-Parnell. Elliott Ness lived in Roseland, but not sure exactly when.

AD:

Date: August 24, 2014 05:03PM

Eric F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dick Butkus lived at 10324 S Lowe and played ball
> at Fernwood Park. His family attended St Helena of
> the Cross at 101st-Parnell. Elliott Ness lived in
> Roseland, but not sure exactly when.

Yes although I never met Dick Butkus. I lived only 1 block away at 10236 S Union. Spent many summer days at Fernwood Park growing up. Played baseball there most of my youth in what was called the "minor leagues" and then the Babe Ruth league. If you remember, entering the park from the Union Ave side, the first thing was the wading pool. Shallow and made of concreted pea gravel. The kind of thing that wouldn't go these days. And the swings faced it. And the field house where you could check out different board games to play. Remember Miss Baumgarten? She ran the fieldhouse. Remember they used to have a children's bike parade every year and you would decorate your bike with streamers and what not. Still have some pictures of me in it. Went to Fernwood for kindergarten then to St Helena 1st thru 8th. Graduated in '68. Thanks for sharing

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 08:12PM

Actually I'm not from the area, I'm from Englewood and Back of the Yards. Just have a big interest in anything related to Chicago. There's an excellent book on the Dutch in Chicago that has lot's of info on Roseland.

AD:

Date: August 25, 2014 02:18PM

Eric F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually I'm not from the area, I'm from Englewood
> and Back of the Yards. Just have a big interest in
> anything related to Chicago. There's an excellent
> book on the Dutch in Chicago that has lot's of
> info on Roseland.

Fair enough Good Sir. Thanks for the info. There's also a website devoted to the Roseland/Fernwood area. Actually met someone on that site that lived right behind us on the next block over who shared many of the same friends I had back then. That was a pleasant surprise.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2014 08:23PM

Here's the book I referred to http://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Chicago-Hollanders-Historical-Reformed/dp/0802813119

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact