T V in the classroom

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
T V in the classroom
Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2014 12:24AM

my first memory of a television in a classroom,was 1970. I went to St.Marys of Mt. Carmel, on 67th. and Wood St. I remember that ch. 11 was a new station,back then,and the teachers and nuns would roll in a small television on a gray tin cart. They would tune in for maybe ,one program during the afternoon. But my favorite memory of television in school was that spring, we all watched Chicago Cub Ernie Banks hit his 500th home run. That was pretty cool to see the nuns cheer him on .I believe it took several games for Ernie to finaly hit number 500, so we knew we would be watching baseball on those few afternoons. What great memories that little school has made,

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: T V in the classroom
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 04:31AM

There were a lot of educational shows on Ch.11 back in late 60's, before Sesame St. Was called NET before PBS. "Language Corner", "All About You" and some science shows.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2014 01:01AM

Remember the WTTW TV, channel 11 auctions on merchandise to support their station from the 1970's?

Also the classrooms in a university building I worked at had TVs on the wall in each room. The building was built in 1967.

AD:

Posted by: Elf Odin (---.mc.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 11:24PM

St. Benedict had TVs in the classrooms in 1963; I remember the JFK assassination, when every set in the building was tuned into the news.

Some of the TVs were wall-mounted (or hanging from the ceiling, I don’t recall which) and some were on rollaround carts.

In 7th grade (1966), the lunchtime show was Bozo’s Circus.

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 03:49PM

We used to watch the Electric Company after lunch at Oriole Park school in the early 70s in Ms. Economus's class. She'd make us write down every word shown during the show and turn it in. At Palmer school on the northwest side, i remember in first grade, we'd eat lunch in the auditorium and if it was raining and we couldn't go outside after lunch they would wheel in a small TV so we could watch Bozo's circus. Really hard to see if you were sitting in the back.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 05:55PM

I attended at St. Margaret of Scotland grammar school in the 60's. Not only were TVs in every classroom, the school had its own TV studio. Some classes such as art and other extracurriculars were broadcast simultaneously to several classrooms.

AD:

Posted by: dmr37 (63.139.146.---)
Date: January 28, 2015 05:36PM

There was a Chicago Catholic Television Network broadcasting to schools in the mid 70s

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact