Chicago Television of Yesteryear

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Chicago Television of Yesteryear
Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 12:24AM

Cid Ceazer variety show, Whats My line, I Have a Secret, Gracho Marx Show, Jackie Gleason Show, Ed Sullivan are just a few more of our favorite shows back in the 50's 60's.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 01:32AM

Hugh Hefner's predecessor to Playboy After Dark was broadcast here on WBKB (Balaban & Katz's TV station, later became WBBM-TV), called Playboy's Penthouse. The set was made to look as though you were in Hef's apartment and the first episode featured Lenny Bruce, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Cy Coleman, who wrote the theme song.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 11:53AM

correction: WBKB did not become WBBM, it became ABC-TV (channel 7 in Chicago)

AD:

Date: June 21, 2015 11:25PM

Anyone remember Amos and Andy Tv show( Kingfish) They were on the radio before TV.

AD:

Posted by: Ed J (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2015 05:04PM

How about the Bob and Ray show ? Two guys with a dry goofy sense of humor. I was looking for the weather channel (must have been around 1953?) and these two guys were forcasting the weather, It was so funny and of the wall I laffed like crazy. That's how I discovered them They were also on the radio and did live shows around the country on stage. There never was another show or two guys like Bob and Ray.

AD:

Date: July 16, 2015 05:59PM

oh yes, there's no humor 'drier' than Bob & Rays, got that way because neither would be a straight man nor a fall guy

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2015 06:57PM

In re: Amos & Andy on TV: Wonderful show, with seasoned actors. Problem was that some leaders of the African-American community pulled the plug on the show around 1965 because they believed that it portrayed African-Americans in a "bad light" and made them look like idiots or something to that effect.

What about two of the biggest "idiot" chracters on TV at that time, Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton? How come no one ever complained about their "stupidity"? The Honey-mooners was basically the same show, with the same plots, and the same outcomes, except for the racial difference. How about The Flintstones? That was an animated version of The Honeymooners (and Amos & Andy).

I am not racist. I enjoyed all three programs, regardless of the race of the characters. I think the folks who got the show removed from our screens overreacted.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: July 16, 2015 08:30PM

Mikey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In re: Amos & Andy on TV: Wonderful show, with
> seasoned actors. Problem was that some leaders of
> the African-American community pulled the plug on
> the show around 1965 because they believed that it
> portrayed African-Americans in a "bad light" and
> made them look like idiots or something to that
> effect.
>
> What about two of the biggest "idiot" chracters on
> TV at that time, Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton? How
> come no one ever complained about their
> "stupidity"? The Honey-mooners was basically the
> same show, with the same plots, and the same
> outcomes, except for the racial difference. How
> about The Flintstones? That was an animated
> version of The Honeymooners (and Amos & Andy).
>
> I am not racist. I enjoyed all three programs,
> regardless of the race of the characters. I think
> the folks who got the show removed from our
> screens overreacted.

The issue was that for much of America Amos and Andy were the only African American characters they saw with any regularity and portraying them as buffoons and schemers only perpetuated stereotypes. In retrospect, many of the people who wanted Amos and Andy pulled regretted the decision because it would be many years before another prime time show with black actors would air.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2015 10:17PM

I agree with you 100%. It's too bad that the feelings in this country were what they were at the time. The actors and acting on that program were some of the best, and the show was fun to watch. Never was a critical complaint heard about how dumb the Honeymooner characters were, in spite of the shows running almost concurrently.
I guess it was just a bad time in our history.

I'm proud to say that I have just about every episode of that show on VHS and would NEVER part with them. It's a part of our history we'll never see the likes of again.

Very sad.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: July 17, 2015 12:00PM

You know, that's not really true. Admittedly Andy and the Kingfish were portrayed as buffoons, but Andy, the cab driver, was portrayed as an intelligent, sensitive, wise character. I have heard black people mention a Christmas Eve episode where he adopted an orphan as one of the most moving programs they have ever seen. I remember coming home from school and watching Amos and Andy and the Three Stooges every day after school. I also have the complete series, on DVD no less, but have never gotten around to watching them all. I seem to get stalled at episode three.
I really see no difference, however, between the buffoons in Amos and Andy, the buffoons in the Three Stooges, and the buffoons in the Honeymooners. Another example of political correctness run amuck.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 01:23PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
> You know, that's not really true. Admittedly Andy
> and the Kingfish were portrayed as buffoons, but
> Andy, the cab driver, was portrayed as an
> intelligent, sensitive, wise character. I have
> heard black people mention a Christmas Eve episode
> where he adopted an orphan as one of the most
> moving programs they have ever seen. I remember
> coming home from school and watching Amos and Andy
> and the Three Stooges every day after school. I
> also have the complete series, on DVD no less, but
> have never gotten around to watching them all. I
> seem to get stalled at episode three.
> I really see no difference, however, between the
> buffoons in Amos and Andy, the buffoons in the
> Three Stooges, and the buffoons in the
> Honeymooners. Another example of political
> correctness run amuck.

The difference was that there were also TV shows on with white lawyers, white doctors, white businessmen, etc. There was only one show featuring African Americans and it employed cartoonish stereotypes. The black actors were even told to use the same over-the-top vocal inflections used by the white actors who originated the roles on radio.

The political-correctness-run-amuck example you're looking for is the objections certain groups had to the Sopranos portraying Italian-Americans as criminals. That argument didn't really hold water, but the argument against Amos and Andy in the 1950's raised valid issues.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2015 01:37PM by gman.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 02:30PM

I'd agree with everything the last post stated about the Amos 'n Andy TV show which I watched. But in the end I'll still come to its defense, since its characterizations were not harsh, and the overall tone was benign in its entertainment. it followed the general TV show formula then which must finish on an upbeat, wise, if moral resolution. Yes it was the only regular and continuing all-black show back then, and as such to remove it because there aren't also better TV show portrayals is a selfish judgement IMO.

AD:

Posted by: Ed J (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2015 02:47PM

What about ROCHESTER ? wasn't her a black guy on some Charlie Chan movies or was that a different black guy ? Never heard any complaints about blacks as cooks or servants in the old TV shows. ROCHESTER was funny - good clean comedy.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 03:20PM

Also, some people are forgetting that the buffoonish Andy and Kingfish were played off a whole series of more serious characters who portrayed good values. I think the values portrayed in Amos and Andy were a lot better than those portrayed in "Good Times," based on a pretty unfavorable portrayal of a family.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 03:40PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
> Also, some people are forgetting that the
> buffoonish Andy and Kingfish were played off a
> whole series of more serious characters who
> portrayed good values. I think the values
> portrayed in Amos and Andy were a lot better than
> those portrayed in "Good Times," based on a pretty
> unfavorable portrayal of a family.

Again, you're missing the point. Good Times aired in the 1970's, well after African American TV shows became mainstream. And your assessment of an "unfavorable portrayal" is off the mark. It addressed the social issues of the day in a way no one else was doing.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: July 17, 2015 04:40PM

And again, you're missing the point. There were numerous portrayals of good role models on the old Amos and Andy series and you are totally ignoring their contribution.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 04:51PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
> And again, you're missing the point. There were
> numerous portrayals of good role models on the old
> Amos and Andy series and you are totally ignoring
> their contribution.

You're taking this way too personally. I wasn't even born then. I'm not making judgments. These were the criticisms leveled against the network at the time and I don't think they were wrong. The basic premise of the show (which was created by two white radio actors doing an exaggerated Black dialect) was deemed insulting to the Black community. That was just the reaction at the time.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 11:37PM

Re: Chicago Television of Yesteryear new

Date: July 17, 2015 09:00AM

You know, that's not really true. Admittedly Andy and the Kingfish were portrayed as buffoons, but Andy, the cab driver, was portrayed as an intelligent, sensitive, wise character. I have heard black people mention a Christmas Eve episode where he adopted an orphan as one of the most moving programs they have ever seen. I remember coming home from school and watching Amos and Andy and the Three Stooges every day after school. I also have the complete series, on DVD no less, but have never gotten around to watching them all. I seem to get stalled at episode three.
I really see no difference, however, between the buffoons in Amos and Andy, the buffoons in the Three Stooges, and the buffoons in the Honeymooners. Another example of political correctness run amuck.

I agree with Dunning.
Listening to Amos and Andy on the radio in the 40's and then watching them on TV back in the 50's was fun and entertaining. Just like watching the Stooges. It was about laughs not a portrayal of character for us young kids.

AD:

Posted by: s0uthsider (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2015 01:15AM

Does anybody remember Shock Theater on Saturday nights?

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 12:16AM

Does anybody remember Marty Faye, on TV he sold vacuum cleaners, a DJ on radio and a late night show on channel 7.

AD:

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact