Haunted House Attraction on Wells in Old Town?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Haunted House Attraction on Wells in Old Town?
Posted by: cid404 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 02:07PM

Hi,

I was having a discussion with some family members about Old Town in the 1960's...

I remember the time when Wells Street in Old Town was kind of an eclectic area, and in particular, I remember a year round haunted house attraction on Wells (I thought it was called the Haunt of Horror or something) on Wells.

It was right near (or next to) the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum in that area.

I've looked around the web, and found a few sites about Wells/Old Town/etc. but no luck on this so far.

I can remember this vividly because (as a kid) I used to be scared to death when my parents used to drive by this place.

Anybody remember this, or have photos?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Haunted House Attraction on Wells in Old Town?
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: January 09, 2013 03:42PM

According to the book: Hidden History of Old Town by Shirley Baugher,

The Steak Joynt (no longer in existence) at 1610 North Wells --- "is said to be one of the city's most haunted locations."

My opinion: Extremely doubtful. ;-)

AD:

Posted by: cid404 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 04:26PM

Don't think that was it....this wasn't a "real" haunted house, but rather a spook house (don't know how much the admission price was).

But thanks for the info.....

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: January 09, 2013 06:13PM

the only thing remotely 'scary' perhaps was Ripleys panel of images on the outside?
They showcased an ugly head with a fleshy horn bent backwards.

AD:

Posted by: brookish ()
Date: February 22, 2013 07:40PM

Hi there. Though I was a child, I clearly remember that spot. Went several times in what had to be the mid seventies. By then it was on its way to being closed.The name was The House of Horrors.

AD:

Posted by: Jimmy P ()
Date: August 16, 2015 05:06PM

I remember this place! It scared the hell out of me, too, and my dad always insisted on taking my sister and me inside. This was right around '69 or '70. I even remember some of the exhibits. There was a man being stretched on the rack, a woman dangling from chains with hooks through her breasts, and somewhere in one of the exhibits there was a Snoopy up in a tree doing his vulture imitation. We used to make the rounds and usually stopped in at either the House of Horrors or Ripley's, and then ate at this Chinese place called Tommy's. If you were ever at Tommy's and the jukebox was playing "Sugar, Sugar", my sister and I were probably one or two booths away from you, eating wonton soup and sweet and sour pork with sesame seeds. I remember some place with bay windows where a glass blower would work right there where you could watch him, and there was a little art store where my mother would stock up on Grumbacher oil paints.

Looks like there's a picture online of the House of Horrrors (maybe you posted it yourself?):

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+town+chicago+house+of+horrors&biw=1575&bih=766&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIp6aloaOuxwIVT3ySCh2wIAGv#imgrc=HsuV1bTwpkWYqM%3A

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact