Selig Moving Picture Studio

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Selig Moving Picture Studio
Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 06, 2013 11:22PM

I know it was on Irving and Western in the early 20th century. My question is what corner and how large of an area did it comprise? A friend who lives in the area believes the corner of Western and Hoyne was the location. Im guessing due to its proximity to the river,it at least extended that far west. Also there was a city dump at Western and Grace at the time which also extended to the river. Just wondering if anyone has any further info. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Selig Moving Picture Studio
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: January 06, 2013 11:47PM

Hey Murph, here's a link to a podcast from last year about the Selig Studio and the last remaining building:
[url=http://whitecitycinema.com/2011/04/22/selig-polyscope-podcast/]Selig Studio[/url]

AD:

Date: January 06, 2013 11:59PM

Thanks Wardell, I owe you a beer!

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: January 07, 2013 01:08AM

murphman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know it was on Irving and Western in the early
> 20th century. My question is what corner and how
> large of an area did it comprise? A friend who
> lives in the area believes the corner of Western
> and Hoyne was the location. Im guessing due to its
> proximity to the river,it at least extended that
> far west. Also there was a city dump at Western
> and Grace at the time which also extended to the
> river. Just wondering if anyone has any further
> info. Thanks!

I lived on the 3900 block of Claremont and the big buzz there is that it occupied a half block on Western @ Byron.

They probably did some outdoor work off the studio property too.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: January 07, 2013 01:42AM

I meant to add earlier...up until a few years ago, there was another structure from the Selig property still standing (since turned into condos). It was at the rear of a used-car lot on Western, a strange brick structure that looked like a guard tower, sort of situated in the middle of the property by the alley. I'll post a photo of it, if I can find it...

AD:

Date: January 07, 2013 02:08AM

Byron was what I meant Lance. Always got the two confused for some unknown reason. Five letters maybe? Wardell I remember the structure you referred to and was always curious as to what it was. Now I'm really curious. Went to Gordon Tech and heard movies were shot at that location. Just assumed it was Essannay as I wasn't even aware of Selig until recently. Thanks guys, every day you learn something is a good day!

AD:

Date: January 08, 2013 07:54AM

Passed by it today like I have a hundred times in the last year. Never knew what it was. Thankfully it wasn't destroyed like many buildings which could have served another purpose. Developers should visit this great site before they raze more properties that could serve another purpose, and still remain standing as a testament to our great city and its history. After that speech I think Ill add another plank to my soapbox LOL!! Thanks!

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 01:58PM

When I was a kid, my Dad always pointed out that tan brick building on Byron with the "S" in a pediment over the entrance and told me it had been Selig Polyscope Studios and that this had been a big time movie studio before Hollywood. A couple of the other old timers in the neighborhood said that there were stables on Western south of Irving Park to house animals and that there was a pool near the corner of Byron and Western where miniature ships would be placed to film sea battles.
But, apparently, Selig also filmed on the streets and neighborhoods, too. Here's a link to a Selig short, "His First Ride" from 1907. There's an angled street in the background in many scenes which may be Clark, Lincoln, or Milwaukee but I have not been able to identify any particular street or neighborhood. You who still live in Chicago may have better fortune IDing the places better than I.

[url=http://archive.org/details/His1stRideSD_show]"His First Ride", Selig 1907[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 02:15PM by Diogenes9561.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact