Wather Memorial hospital

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Wather Memorial hospital
Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 09:00AM

I was born at this hospital and being a "fan" of this site, have no idea where it was. My mother, who at this time is dying of cancer ,informs me it was in the vicinity of her old neighborhood, Humboldt Park. In her best day, she got lost going around a corner, so she isn't the best source of info LOL. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Wather Memorial hospital
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: January 01, 2013 01:11PM

Hi Murph,
Here's an undated postcard shot:

[url=http://chicagopc.info/Chicago%20postcards/Medical/Hospitals/walther%20memorial%20hospital.jpg]Walther Memorial Hospital[/url]

It was at 1116 N. Kedzie, closed in 1987. The building is still there, not sure what it's being used for though.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 02:18PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Murph,
> Here's an undated postcard shot:
>
> Walther Memorial Hospital
>
> It was at 1116 N. Kedzie, closed in 1987. The
> building is still there, not sure what it's being
> used for though.

The Association House (a settlement house formerly at 2150 W North Ave) is in there.
After 100 years in the same building, a developer made them a huge offer on their building and playground.

They took the money and moved to the vacant hospital on Kedzie.

AD:

Posted by: mphansen ()
Date: January 01, 2013 06:30PM

I remember the Association House on North Avenue. They used to have a lot of programs for kids there. Two of my brothers used to go there on Saturdays and they had a boxing program. This was in the mid-1950s. BTW, does anyone remember the address of the North Avenue Police Station? For the life of me, I know I was there once and only once when I got lost. They sat me on a big old wooden bench and a nice lady came out with a big cardboard box of candy bars. My mother then picked me up. If anyone can remember the address or location I would appreciate it. Is the old police station still standing?

AD:

Date: January 01, 2013 07:08PM

mphansen Wrote:
> BTW, does anyone remember the
> address of the North Avenue Police Station? For
> the life of me, I know I was there once and only
> once when I got lost. They sat me on a big old
> wooden bench and a nice lady came out with a big
> cardboard box of candy bars. My mother then
> picked me up. If anyone can remember the address
> or location I would appreciate it. Is the old
> police station still standing?

It was at North and Oakley. Probably 2258 W. North
It was torn down decades ago. There is a condo building there now.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 02, 2013 12:06AM

Thanks a lot appreciate you guys solving my little mystery and so quickly. Excellent postcard by the way! Thanks again!!

AD:

Posted by: woodman88 ()
Date: January 02, 2013 12:52AM

I know its off topic but it is the same area. In the late 60's, 70's, and thru the 80's when I worked at the P&G Chicago Plant, I used to go to a beef stand on North Ave. and Bell . I wonder if anybody knows what happened to it? Thanks

AD:

Date: January 02, 2013 02:30AM

I kinda figured the police station was gone after all this time, but I don't get into the city much as I used to and whenever I do go I always go back to my old neighborhoods to look at the changes, which are constant! As far as the Association House goes, the kids just used to call is "SOSE". Just a lotta fond memories in the Wicker Park area before things changed. BTW,how do you find these addresses for the old buildings? Any tips on research? Thanx again!

AD:

Date: January 02, 2013 11:40AM

BTW,how do you find these
> addresses for the old buildings? Any tips on
> research? Thanx again!

First off, I live at North and Leavitt, most of these addresses I just lean my head out the front door.

The historic society put a copy of the 1929 chicago reverse directory.
[url=http://www.chsmedia.org/househistory/polk/start.pdf]Polk directory[/url]

Another source are news stories in the Trib historic archives.
These are available for free to cardholders of the chicago public library. It's probably free for a lot of suburban libraries too, but I don't know for sure.
[url=http://www.chipublib.org/cplbooksmovies/research/newspapers.php]Chipublib newspaper page[/url]

AD:

Date: January 02, 2013 12:03PM

woodman88 Wrote:
> I know its off topic but it is the same area. In
> the late 60's, 70's, and thru the 80's when I
> worked at the P&G Chicago Plant, I used to go to a
> beef stand on North Ave. and Bell . I wonder if
> anybody knows what happened to it? Thanks

The Nor-Bel. I must have eaten a thousand of their hot dogs.
It was on the northwest corner. A long narrow cinderblock building on a double lot.
It was run by two old guys who sat in the back counting their money and kvetching at the kids who worked the counter.

The old guys sold out about 2001. We thought for sure it would immediately be developed. But the guys who bought it rehabbed the hotdog stand.

They expanded, decorated, put in seating, added a fireplace, got a liquor license, increased hours, and died.

A hotdog stand, like a laundromat, is an annuity. If you keep costs down, it'll spit out cash forever. But it will only get so big. The market share is determined by how far it is to the next hotdog stand and you can't increase it by redecorating.

There is a ugly 4 story mixed use condo building there now.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: January 03, 2013 12:15PM

There are other directories online too, use google search or go to this website...

www.georgekrejci.com

He has a bunch of links to directories, etc., in there, interesting site.

I have a bunch of old Chicago directories. If anyone needs a look up just let me know.

AD:

Date: January 03, 2013 07:53PM

Hi Rusymuscle. I'm fascinated by this website. I'm hoping to learn things from the posters. I know what I want to do, but just don't know the steps how to get there. I know now there is the Polk Directory which I use. May I ask where did you find the Chicago Directories? I'm 4 hours away from Chicago and boy do I miss having everything at my fingertips! Back in the day, I was at the library all the time. If you would be so kind, would you look up an Ed & Evelyn Finely on North Avenue (pretty sure)? What was their address and phone number? Evelyn used to work in the currency exchange that was right under the L where Penneys now is. I remember back in the mid-50s she got robbed early in the morning. What was the Busy Bee was once a restaurant called Francis & Jeans. Could you please look up Dr. John Boland's address & phone number. He was right at the Wicker Park Medical Center across the street from the park. Also, any tips that you can pass on it is very much appreciated for those of us who "haven't a clue" where to start searching for things. Thanx a bunch! Truly appreciate it!.

AD:

Date: January 03, 2013 08:14PM

Yo Mphansen,

As an ex-pat wicker parker you will probably enjoy these,
A guy on Flickr has been putting up photos that his brother in law took here in the 1950's

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/masmiguel/tags/wickerpark/]MasMiguel's Wicker Park Photos[/url]

He puts them up a couple at a time, but when they show up, they are the highlight of my day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 08:14PM by PKDickman.

AD:

Date: January 03, 2013 09:15PM

Yo yoself PKDickman!! Were you from the Wicker Park area? If so, any memories? I was around when the old Wicker Park School was still up. Dang, can't believe I got sooo old soooo quick. I'm glad I'm not senile and am thankful that the old brain is still functioning and churning the memories. I did look at those photos from MasMiguels and they were very interesting. Assuming they're all around North and Leavitt, what a hoot. There was one photo of a guy named "Rich", a guy with glasses. He looks like one of the teenagers who used to play cards in "the hole" at the old school. If this guys name is Rich, I wonder if his nickname was "China Man". That's what everyone used to call him. Anyway, the guy in the pix sure looks like him. I lived right across the street from the old school. It was a good time and have a lot of wonderful memories growing up there. Hope you can add more to this post. Thanx for sharing those photos. Yeah, people sure did smoke a lot in the 50s. I used to run to the corner store on Evergreen & Damen for my dad and pick up a pack of Lucky Strikes for 28 cents a pack. Try doing THAT NOW!! Take care.

AD:

Posted by: spine ()
Date: March 20, 2014 06:03PM

I was born at Walther Memorial in the 50's , I decided to look for my hospital birth certificate but never found it. Does anyone on here have one I could look at I would really like to see it again. Thanks !

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: April 21, 2015 06:50PM

I was born @ Walther Memorial early-'50s and've my birth certificate. At that time it was just the 'old building' there on Kedzie towards the rear, and a few years later they expanded with w/ new add-on part closer to the street

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact