Ice skating

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ice skating
Posted by: s0uthsider ()
Date: September 16, 2015 11:53PM

If the lagoons had frozen over enough in Marquette Park, there was plenty of space for ice skaters and hockey playing. The only "real" rink I remember on the south side was Michael Kirby's around 75th & loomis.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2015 07:42AM

Hanson Park, South of the tennis courts, next to the Stadium. Warming room under the stands of the stadium.

AD:

Posted by: dkennycpd ()
Date: September 19, 2015 07:06AM

I skated at Graver Park, 103rd and Charles and Ridge Park but Graver was the best.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 02, 2016 10:44PM

I know this is an old post but I just read it. The lady that played the organ at Michael Kirby's was my moms aunt Francis Philips. I used to skate there a lot and would be in the races they had there every Saturday morning. Great memories!

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 03, 2016 12:02AM

Michael Kirby's was a great rink, however, growing up at Oakley Playground at 50th & Oakley in the 50's was perfect. We always had beautiful and smooth ice. Our group would water it down each night to have smooth ice after school. The only thing missing was an organ. LOL

AD:

Date: February 05, 2016 05:29PM

btt

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact