Irving Park rd & York rd

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Irving Park rd & York rd
Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: September 22, 2012 04:41AM

I go through this intersection on my way home from work and have a question. They finally built an overpass for the railroad, anyone familiar with this intersection knows it's long overdue. The thing I don't understand is I haven't seen the railroad using it. My brother told me they don't use it because it's too steep for the freight trains to climb.

Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Irving Park rd & York rd
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: September 22, 2012 12:45PM

I heard at one time of plans to change the route of the tracks due to the airport expansion, so maybe that overpass is a first stage of that work. I'm surprised they built the tracks over the road instead of the the road going under the tracks, as is currently being built near the Ford plant in Hegewisch.

AD:

Posted by: Kevinc56 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 08:30PM

I have seen a train on the new overpass. But like you I wish the other grade crossing was gone, and I thought the new overpass spelled the end of it too.

The confusion is that there are two railroads. I think one of the two rail lines is the UP/CNW and I am not sure what the other one is right now. Maybe Canadian Pacific.

If you're at Higgins Rd and Mt Prospect Rd north of O'Hare there is one rail line with two tracks. I think that is CNW but you see other trains on it too. Heading south and along the western edge of O'Hare, the two railroads separate apart somewhere north of Irving. By the time they cross Irving the CP is next to York Rd and the CNW is further east. It crosses Irving Park Rd on the older overpass that is well east of York Rd, where Irving Park curves. That one is being demolished since they use the new one now. I think they are also relocating Irving Park Rd too.

My understanding is the railroad that crosses Irving right beside York Rd will get its own overpass. If you check out the online info on this project, and also look at the area from Google Earth, it starts to make more sense. The timeline feature on Google Earth is pretty cool to go back in time. You can see how much this area has changed.

I go through this area a lot as well. Some of the cheapest gasoline on my commute is just west of there on Irving, so I like to drive through this area too. I'll be happy when the railroad next to York is moved. If you get stuck there it can be a long wait.

AD:

Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 02:33PM

UP is on the flyover, CP crosses at grade. The UP xing was changed to a flyover when the tracks were moved for the ORD expansion. The CP tracks were not in the way, so not moved or updated, and no plans to do so. Irving gets blocked more and more as trains into the B-ville yard are getting longer and longer, and yard speed is only 10mph.

Cheers!
CP Hogger

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 03:35AM

IL Tollway is building a ring road there and also extending Elgin-Ohare to actually meet Ohare! The new bridge is being used, and I am sure the other track will get raised.

AD:

Date: October 21, 2012 03:25AM

I noticed recently they're building a new section of Irving Park Rd just east of York Rd. It looks like it'll curve down near the train tracks and eventually meet the existing roadway just east of Taft av. I saw a set of traffic signals on this section but have no idea what they might be for. I have searched for hours but can not find a map of this, does anyone know of one?

AD:

Posted by: John T ()
Date: October 24, 2012 02:47AM

There's one set of traffic signals shown here:
Sheet 16
http://www.elginohare-westbypass.org/TierTwo_PublicHearings/Sheet16_FullBuild_and_ICP_rollplot.pdf

The other is for the new Taft Ave(going South to Green/Franklin Ave.) & the new Irving Park Intersection shown here:
Sheet 15
http://www.elginohare-westbypass.org/TierTwo_PublicHearings/Sheet15_FullBuild_and_ICP_rollplot.pdf

Index of all Elgin O'Hare maps/Sheets 1-18/scroll down:
http://www.elginohare-westbypass.org/TierTwo_PublicHearings/Forms/AllItems.aspx

These are large .pdf files, keep zooming in to see all the detail, they may also take some time to load.

AD:

Date: October 24, 2012 03:16AM

As others have posted, the UP (Union Pacific) tracks were moved onto the new bridge East of Irving Park & York Rd. They used to be on a (very old looking) bridge just West of Irving Park & Taft.

The existing grade crossing on the immediate East side of of Irving Park & York are the CN (Canadian National) tracks. The next project will move these over a few feet East of the existing grade crossing onto an additional bridge just West of the new UP bridge. This project will begin in 2013 with this bridge completed in 2014 & a slightly expanded York & Irving Park intersection completed in 2015.

The Village of Bensenville has a nice, clear picture of the completed Intersection & 2 separate train bridges here:

http://www.bensenville.il.us/index.aspx?nid=530
(scroll down to see the picture)

The to-be-built Elgin-O'Hare tollway with initial partial Irving Park Interchange and corresponding overhead tollway bridges will be immediately East of the UP bridge, or furthest on the top of the above picture.

So when finished in 2015+, going from West to East, we have an improved signalized Irving Park and York intersection (similiar to what is there now), a CN train bridge, a UP train bridge(done), a Southbound Tollway off-ramp signalized intersection, a Southbound Tollway bridge, a Northbound Tollway bridge, and a Northbound Tollway on-ramp signalized intersection, for a total of 4 bridges and 3 traffic signals. (and that's BEFORE Irving Park follows the new curve SE bound)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 03:19AM by John T.

AD:

Date: October 24, 2012 04:17AM

John T

Thank you VERY much, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

AD:

Date: October 24, 2012 10:25AM

You're welcome. This morning I found out that only the train bridges will be finished in 2015. The corresponding section of the Elgin O'Hare Tollway (over Irving Park Rd) will get the South leg built between 2018 and 2022.

http://www.bensenville.il.us/DocumentCenter/View/6797
Bensenville Neighborhood Conversation

Look about 3/4 the way down for the Elgin-O'Hare timeline map. Immediately below that is the O'Hare runway map which shows runway 10R-28L active by 4th quarter 2015 and located where the pre-2012 Irving Park road was.

AD:

Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: December 01, 2012 06:27AM

There is no CN rail here.

The CP rail is scheduled to be on a bridge in 2013, this is r.r. time, so look for it in 2015.
If you park at Victory Auto and look north you can see parts of the bridge to be used.

AD:

Posted by: mkmcclure63 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:21AM

Lots of the work and the relocated UP (nee-C&NW) tracks can be seen Google Earth. Even better are the Bing.com images with the birds-eye close up.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact