Continental Coffe Co. on Clybourn

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Continental Coffe Co. on Clybourn
Posted by: Bruce Kelleher ()
Date: September 11, 2012 03:19PM

Anyone one else work at CCC in the 60s???

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Continental Coffe Co. on Clybourn
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: March 19, 2015 11:15PM

I worked for American Can Company "CANCO" South Western Ave and we made millions of Continental coffee cans. Thank you for the business.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: March 19, 2015 11:35PM

I think my late friend Ed worked for the Continental Coffe Co. I know he worked for a coffee company but not sure which one. Was there a Stewert's Coffee Co. in Chicago around that time?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 12:21PM

Stewarts Coffee has been in Chicago for years. They were originally on Washington Blvd. near the market area, and later moved to their present location on Wrightwood just west of Pulaski Road. They have probably been there since the 1940's or so.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 06:03PM

My colleagues mother worked for CANCO, she was married to a Swede....

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: March 20, 2015 10:25PM

Swede was my nick name growing up, it soon became Curly when I worked there. Who was your colleagues mom? I worked there from 1968 - 1991 when it was demolished. We made alot of coffee cans. Continental Coffee Co had their own brand, however, I'm sure they packed for many companies. We made Stewarts, Chase N Samborne, Hills Bros., Chock full of nuts, Kroger, A & P, Folgers, Jewels, Piggly Wigly Food Store and then Generic came into the mix. It's been a long time since those days.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: March 23, 2015 03:23PM

She worked there in the early 40's, so a bit before you did.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 07, 2016 01:03AM

I remember when they tore down Continental. Lot of equipment standing out in the open on what was left of the second floor. It's all a storage yard for some contractor now.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact