Past movie theaters

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Past movie theaters
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: August 21, 2012 03:33PM

What movie theaters did you go to in your distant past? Mine were, the Biograph, Century and Gold Coast.

When I was a kid, the Biograph's Saturday afternoon movies; mainly Westerns and serials, like Flash Gordon. All of the above theaters, except for the Biograph, I attended with my parents in the 1940s. I also remember the Lane Court on Armitage near Clark, also in the 40s.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 01:37AM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Past movie theaters
Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: August 21, 2012 10:46PM

I was born in ’58 and grew up in Edgewater where I still live. The “palaces” within my grasp through the 60’s were the Granada, the Uptown, the Riviera, and the Nortown. The more modest houses were the Howard and the Adelphi. The smaller, more dumpy places were my favorites – cheaper, within walking distance, and just more intimate. These included the Bryn Mawr, the Devon, and the 400.

AD:

Posted by: Elf Odin ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:07AM

And the Northcenter, on Lincoln between Irving Park and Belle Plaine; replaced by High-Low Foods #5 in 1969, now an Osco Drug.

AD:

Date: August 22, 2012 04:19PM

[b]The small cheare ones like Radio at 50th pl & Halstead and Cornell & 51st & Wenchester and crystal & 49th & ashland and many many more. Chicago had over 600 movie houses at one time.[/b]Mornac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was born in ’58 and grew up in Edgewater where
> I still live. The “palaces” within my grasp
> through the 60’s were the Granada, the Uptown,
> the Riviera, and the Nortown. The more modest
> houses were the Howard and the Adelphi. The
> smaller, more dumpy places were my favorites –
> cheaper, within walking distance, and just more
> intimate. These included the Bryn Mawr, the Devon,
> and the 400.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 06:44PM

Our neighborhood theatres were the Will Rogers, on Belmont just west of Central, and after visiting the doctor, we would go into the Tiffin Theater on North Avenue and Karlov. Our doctor had his offices above the theater, and if we went in the early afternoon sometimes we would stop in the theater. The Patio, recently restored and reopened, on Irving Park near Austin Avenue, was off limits to us because our parents told us "people might try to touch you there." Never been in that theater to this day. We also occasionally went to the Mercury on North Avenue west of Harlem, and occasionally to the Harlem Irving Drive In at Harlem and Forest Preserve Drive.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: August 22, 2012 06:55PM

California (Cal) and the Atlantic. Both on 26th street; Cal on Trumbull and the Atlantic about a block or so east of Pulaski.

The Cal showed "monster" movies on Saturday, so it filled with kids throwing anything they could get their hands on - candy (the black Chuckle was a favorite as were Jujubes), flattened popcorn boxes, etc. Cracker balls against the walls looked cool in the dark theater.

It was said someone flushed a cherry bomb down a toliet, which caused the theater ( aka show ) to close for a few days while the plumbers did their work. I cannot verify such an event.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2012 01:21PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 09:02PM

No one has yet mentioned the Boulevard at 55th (Garfield Blvd.) and Ashland. The Greek candy store next door had great ice cream and great hot fudge. They always had all day Saturday matinees, with the latest serials like Don Winslow and the rest. It later became the Boulevard Ballroom. It is now one of those ubiquitous Shell stations, I think.

AD:

Date: August 23, 2012 08:10PM

The Plaza movie theater on North Avenue, near Orleans Street, was a theater my parents and I walked past many times in the 1940s, which my parents seemed to quietly shun and never entered, despite the fact they were avid movie goers.

Another movie theater that looked interesting to me at that time, and was called the Kino, which appeared to show only German language films, also located on North Avenue about a two blocks east of Halsted Street, near Orchard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 08:58PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Robert L. Morris ()
Date: August 28, 2012 03:08AM

I finally found the Terrace Theater listed at 3110 South Indiana Avenue. Before being named the Terrace, it was the Avenue Theater and was a Vaudeville Theater. I heard that it was at one time a Jewish Opera House. I really would like to know if that is valid. If so, please send information to my e-mail address. The area at one time was mostly Jewish and it was located two blooks away from the first Jewish house of worship in historic Chicago.

AD:

Date: August 28, 2012 01:08PM

Robert L. Morris,

I found this about the Terrace Theater:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/5226

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: August 28, 2012 02:37PM

The kids in my dad's neighborhood went to the 152 Theater on Division, and in my mom and her friends went to the Biltmore further west on Division.

I came along after most of the older theaters were gone, but some were still operating when I was a kid - I saw my first movie at the Gateway, my aunt took me to the Will Rogers fairly regularly and I did go to the Woods and the United Artists once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 12:21AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Date: August 28, 2012 07:57PM

In regard to Division Street; I have recently read that there once was an A&P Grocery store on East Division, now long gone, "where a lot of movie stars came to pick up food." This must have been in the time of Chicago's movie-making industry, around 1914.

AD:

Posted by: West Town ()
Date: August 30, 2012 05:08PM

I grew up in the West Town neighborhood in the 1960's near Huron & Wood. We had two choices within easy walking distance of home. The Hub on Chicago Ave. just east of Wood St. & the Alvin also on Chicago Ave. just west of Ashland across from Goldblatts. Those were the days :-).

We moved in the early 70's to the Portage Park area. I remember going to the Will Rogers on Belmont (also across the street from a Goldblatts) as an earlier poster mentioned. Does anyone remember the name of the theater on Belmont just east of Cicero?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: August 30, 2012 08:02PM

West Town Wrote:
> I grew up in the West Town neighborhood in the
> 1960's near Huron & Wood. We had two choices
> within easy walking distance of home. The Hub on
> Chicago Ave. just east of Wood St. & the Alvin
> also on Chicago Ave. just west of Ashland across
> from Goldblatts. Those were the days :-).
>
> We moved in the early 70's to the Portage Park
> area. I remember going to the Will Rogers on
> Belmont (also across the street from a Goldblatts)
> as an earlier poster mentioned. Does anyone
> remember the name of the theater on Belmont just
> east of Cicero?

That would be the Luna, Which in later years, Often showed B-grade movies. Plus, The theatre's floor was the stickiest around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 08:02PM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: August 31, 2012 02:42AM

I grew up in the North Center area, St. Benedict parish. My friends and I also went to the North Center on Lincoln and also a small, dumpy theater on Damen just south of Irving Park, the Bugg. It was located where the parking lot for the drive in for the Lincoln Bank or whatever it's called now is located. I also saw quite a few movies at the Roscoe on Roscoe just west of Damen when I was small until it closed up in the late '50s. The Belmont, on Belmont just west of Ashland was a special treat until it, too, closed about 1959. I recall my Dad taking us to see "The Young Lions" with Marlon Brando there about '59 and it was the last movie shown there before it closed.
After the North Center was gone, we'd go to the Commodore on Irving Park between California and Kedzie or take the bus to the Irving on Irving just west of Pulaski.
All are gone now but the memories live on.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: August 31, 2012 12:15PM

Hyde Park Theater (or sometimes Harper Theater) on Harper just north of 53rd, though really, it's not a past theater, as it's being restored for reopening right now. There used to be the Piccadilly (might have been live shows as well) on Hyde Park Boulevard (51st Street west of Drexel Square) at Blackstone. Building and space, one assumes, still there. Used to be a ton of big theaters in Woodlawn, centered on 63rd and Cottage and at King Drive.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: August 31, 2012 12:58PM

Chipast Wrote:

> That would be the Luna, Which in later years,
> Often showed B-grade movies. Plus, The theatre's
> floor was the stickiest around.

Likely from Jujubes, which was a popular "ammunition" when kids took over a theater.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2012 12:58PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: September 02, 2012 12:18AM

No, Not just Jujubes. I'd say most likely from the spilled Coca-Cola, And maybe some candy. But the first that I mentioned was the most likely culprit.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: September 02, 2012 11:59PM

I grew up near the Patio, and never heard anything about 'people who touch kids' ever. We went all the time and never heard any such incidents.

However, back then I never would imagine Patio still being open and Will Rogers torn down!

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: September 09, 2012 04:00PM

Hooray for the Ideal theater on larabee,just north of north avenue.

AD:

Posted by: coops4 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 10:10PM

Peoples, Colony, Marquette and Brighton...

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. ()
Date: September 12, 2012 09:53AM

Also on the Sout' Side was the Hi-Way on 63rd and Western and the Coral at 95th and Cicero, which was one of the first movie theaters with a "theme", in this case a south sea motif. I grew up going to the Peoples every Saturday morning to see all the giant bug movies in the 50s (tarantulas, grasshoppers, ants). Great memories.

AD:

Date: September 13, 2012 12:01AM

[b]What about Engelwood? It was like going downtown like 15 theaters. 63rd & Halsted.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 13, 2012 10:04AM

The only South side movie theater that I can remember attending was the Midwest, on Archer Avenue near Hamilton Avenue, in the mid 50s. And, if I remember correctly, the Midwest offered free glassware too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 11:40AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning Crazy ()
Date: September 22, 2012 05:59PM

tomcat630 Wrote:
> I grew up near the Patio, and never heard anything
> about 'people who touch kids' ever. We went all
> the time and never heard any such incidents.
>
> However, back then I never would imagine Patio
> still being open and Will Rogers torn down!

I never heard such a thing either....thats practially my old neighborhood,the only bad thing I heard about the Patio was that it became dirty and had vermin. I agree with what you say about the Patio still being there and the Will Rogers being torn down.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:11PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> What about Engelwood? It was like going downtown
> like 15 theaters. 63rd & Halsted.

Let me see how many I can remember: Southtown, Empress,Stratford, Englewood, Kim, Bonita, Halsted, Harvard, Regent. That is as far as I can go. I remember my grandparents, who in the late 20's and 30's lived 62nd and Green, talking about the Stratford being a vaudeville palace where Bob Hope appeare fairly regularly and the Empress atone time being a burlesque house. Of course the Southtown rivaled any downtown venue.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue ()
Date: October 19, 2012 12:57AM

Thanks everyone for jogging my memory for some of these theater names.

We lived near the Milford on Pulaski and Milwaukee. I worked there in high school selling candy and popcorn.

I forgot that the Mercury was located on North Ave. near Harlem. I always thought the Will Rogers was a nice theater. Saw the Sound of Music there. Seemed to be a larger screen than most.

A neighbor always called the Patio the Pay-show.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: October 20, 2012 01:21PM

I grew up around the city, starting in Logan Square in the 60's and going to the Congress Theater. I also lived in Edgewater and the Dunning area as well. I went to the Patio a few times as well.

AD:

Posted by: PamR ()
Date: October 21, 2012 03:03PM

Gateway on Lawrence Ave. a little east of Milwaukee in the Jefferson Park neighborhood. What a beautiful place. When you looked up there were twinkling stars, as if you were sitting in an outdoor courtyard. All around you were the walls draped with greenery. Not sure if it was just paint or actual construction.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman ()
Date: October 23, 2012 10:40PM

you wrote

[quote=Posted by: jak378 (Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 06:02PM
No one has yet mentioned the Boulevard at 55th (Garfield Blvd.) and Ashland. The Greek candy store next door had great ice cream and great hot fudge. They always had all day Saturday matinees, with the latest serials like Don Winslow and the rest. It later became the Boulevard Ballroom. It is now one of those ubiquitous Shell stations, I think. )][/quote]

In the late 1950s the same management that operated the Boulevard Ballroom closed that location and re-opened the Embassy Theatre @ Fullerton and Pulaski as a Ballroom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 10:41PM by Jazzman.

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact