Viking ship in Lincoln Park

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Viking ship in Lincoln Park
Posted by: ChiTownJim ()
Date: August 05, 2012 09:03PM

Does anyone know what happened to the viking ship that was located in the Lincoln Park zoo? I believe it sailed from Norway to Chicago during the Columbian Exposition. It was removed in the late 80s or 90s and I think I remember someone saying it was 'in storage'. I was just wondering if it was ever relocated. I live in Rockford now and my family visited the zoo a few weeks ago and I got to thinking about it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Viking ship in Lincoln Park
Posted by: matrix2004 ()
Date: August 05, 2012 09:25PM

http://www.vikingship.us/history.htm

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 06:25PM

Not directly related, but there is a bit of a kerfuffle in Norway at the moment about the new Kon Tiki movie - one of the men on the expedition has been heavily fictionalized and his family is quite upset about it (a tenet of being Norwegian is not embarrassing other Norwegians), as they were only partially consulted, he was made to seem like, well, a whiny wuss.

AD:

Date: August 31, 2012 08:57PM

[b]The Viking ship is now in Good Templar Park in Geneva Illinois. It's been ther for years now. I was a member of the Good Templars and had a summer cabin in that park.[/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact