Bike Path - 5600 - 6400 N

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Bike Path - 5600 - 6400 N
Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: June 27, 2012 02:24PM

I ran across a bike path in Forest Glen that runs from Bryn Mawr on the south to 6400 north parallel to Kostner. It is up an embankment, so I get the impression that this may have been a former railroad line. Since it is so short and the fact that Labaugh Woods and the river would be a roadblock on the south, I have trouble visualizing where a rail line would have run annd connect to a mainline.

Would appreciate any information that anyone can provide.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bike Path - 5600 - 6400 N
Posted by: Chris ()
Date: June 27, 2012 03:26PM

This is part of the CNW line. Here's some more info:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/cnw_weber_sksub/?prop=eupdate

http://www.trainweb.org/evrailfan/chap1a.html

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 27, 2012 04:45PM

If you click on the Google air view you can follow that bike path, The Sauganash Trail, 60646 south through the woods from Bryn Mawr, over the Edens Expreesway and hook up with the main line around Montrose and Cicero.The tracks are gone but the viaducts are still there along with the right of way property.

From what I understand this bike path was suppose to run north to Valley Line Trail. I am not sure if they ever hooked up or not. Traillink.com could tell you I would image. I remember trains crossing these tracks at Devon Ave. just east of Cicero Ave. and causing traffic jams back in the late 70's and early 1980's.

Some additional info on this train line.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Chicago_to_Northbrook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 04:52PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher ()
Date: June 28, 2012 01:44PM

Used to ride that bike p[ath from Waveland Pool at Devon all the way to Dempster...Did they ever continue it further north????

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: June 28, 2012 03:23PM

Bruce This is not the same bike path. The bike path you are referring to goes all the way north to the Botanic Gardens in Glencoe. The path referenced is further east and does not connect to the one you remember without meandering through side streets in a round about way. There was some talk a year ago about a study being done to connect the path from Caldwell Woods to run further south and East through the Indian Boundary Forest preserve, but like most government studies, it will probably take years, with the "study" probably costing more than the construction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 03:24PM by Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: July 04, 2012 07:52PM

"Waveland Pool"

Maybe you are thinking of Whaelan Pool at Devon and Milwaukee Av? Operated by the Cook County Forest Preserves.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact