Simpson & Mueller, Architects

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Simpson & Mueller, Architects
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 06, 2012 07:40PM

I'm looking for information about the Simpson & Mueller architecture firm, active in in the 1890s. From what little information I can find (in building trade periodicals), they seem to have done a lot of their work between 1895 and 1899, after which all references to the firm cease.

It appears that they did most or all of their work for Charles W. Hoff, a Hyde Park-based banker and developer, and accordingly most of their buildings seem to have been built in Woodlawn and Hyde Park, primarily greystone rowhouses. After 1900, it looks as though Hoff started using Thomas Bishop's firm almost exclusively, so perhaps Simpson & Mueller folded the firm or were absorbed into another operation.

If anyone comes across any more information about Simpson & Mueller please let me know - thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Simpson & Mueller, Architects
Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: June 07, 2012 04:17PM

I've never heard of them (and I'm a native Hyde Parker). You might try the book, "Hyde Park Houses" by the late Jean Block which has a large historic text section, though she didn't focus very much on developer projects but on custom houses.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 08, 2012 02:47AM

Thanks for the book recommendation; I'll have to track down a copy.

From the descriptions, it seems like Hoff was building the McMansions of the era - in one month, eleven projects designed by Simpson & Mueller and built by Hoff were announced, all of them south of 63rd Street and east of St. Lawrence.

Hoff himself lived at 5641 S. Woodlawn in a Bishop-designed house he built in 1905; he lived there until he died at 92 in 1956.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: June 26, 2012 02:34PM

I think I knew the people who lived in 5641 in the 80's. Will walk by there to be sure.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact