Plastic furniture covers TV commercial?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Plastic furniture covers TV commercial?
Posted by: kramden26 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:09PM

Hi, I am looking for the name of the plastic furniture cover company, featured in local TV commercials that were shown constantly on WGN TV back in the day. The commercials ran regularly along with Danley Garages, Nelson Bros Furniture, Burt Weinman Ford, & Bouchele Carpet Cleaning commercials. The commercial shows kids eating a hotdog & spilling food or drink, & maybe a dog jumping up on the sofa maybe? Was it Lincoln, Empire? or another company? Maybe Linn Burton (Your TV Ford Man) may have been in the commercial possibly? Didn't find it on FuzzyMemories.TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this has been driving me nuts for some time, LOL Thanks, Craig

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Plastic furniture covers TV commercial?
Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: May 25, 2012 06:39PM

I think it was Empire, During the late 1970's-early to mid 1980's.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 01:02AM

I remember the low budget TV ads that ran on Ch 9 and 32, from Midwest Carpets.
Had pic of kids and background voice was "Come on gang, let's have a snack!".

My cousin and I used to make fun of the local commercials, as young teens. "OMG I hate that one!" and parody the voiceovers.

One of other local 'love to hate' commercials was for Creative Mirror, when mirrored walls were the fad.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: June 06, 2012 04:26PM

Do you have insurance on that couch?

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:16AM

Remember the commercial but the name escapes me. We had plastic covers on the couch from the advertiser. Mohawk? Burned a hole in the couch arm with my Chesterfield when I was ten. Tough kid! Blamed it on my father LOL! Seriously I think it was Mohawk carpet.

AD:

Posted by: querencia ()
Date: February 02, 2013 03:46AM

I can't tell you the company but I would bet that the salesman was Marty Fay, who seemed always to be on TV pitching local products. One time he demonstrated a vacuum cleaner but accidentally had it turned to "blow" rather than "suck" and it blew the pile of dirt all over the studio. He often pitched for either Nelson Brothers, venue of elaborate furniture, or Polk Brothers, which sold appliances like washing machines with premiums like free turkeys. Plastic slipcovers would have gone well in those ads---it was all part of the era.

AD:

Posted by: G. O. Mancer ()
Date: December 22, 2013 10:05PM

Hi, first post here.

I suppose there were several, but the one I remember was "Durafab", which was hawked by the frequently contraversial radio personality Howard Miller.

As I recall, it went like:

Kid one spills on the sofa.

Kid two: "Boy, are you gonna get it!"

Kid one: "No I'm not! My got this new stuff called Durafrab or Dorafab or something. She saw Howard Miller on TV, and he said . . . "

Miller: "You can't hurt this fabric . . ."

etc.

The selling point was that it wasn't those tacky old clear vinyl things, but heavier, and embossed and printed to look like upholstery fabric.

AD:

Date: January 13, 2014 06:10AM

Hello, G. O. Mancer and all.

I ALMOST remember that TV commercial! I did several Google searches to see if a copy was posted online. If there is, I couldn't find it.

Controversy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Not much remains commonly available, at least on a quick search, of Howard Miller's remarks. However, having 58 percent of all operating radios in Chicago tuned in to YOUR microphone, as Howard Miller had in 1968, calls for a cool and calm temperment every minute the transmitter is on.

Miller was fired from WIND (they actually tried to "shelf" him, but he sued, and was released from his contract) for intemperate remarks at the beginning of the West Side MLK Riot of 1968. The story is recounted [url=http://www.440.com/favesm.html#howard_miller]at this site dealing with the history of radio broadcasting by a former attorney for Mr. Miller.[/url]

It is sadly interesting to note that many of the areas burnt on the West Side in 1968 remain vacant lots to this day.

Miller's popularity may have been damaged by his remarks. However, he continued to draw sufficient favorable ratings so that he was a valuable commodity in the Chicago TV local advertising business for years afteward. He was also a contemporary and for a while a radio co-worker with Lynn Burton, your TV Ford Man.

Miller continued as an on-air personality in the Chicago market until the mid 1970s.

Thanks.

Brian J. Patterson.

AD:

Posted by: FuzzyMemories.TV ()
Date: March 05, 2014 12:46AM

Here's the ad! :)

G. O. Mancer your memory was spot on!

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=4538

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: June 01, 2015 11:07PM

Back in the mid 60's I went with my buddy on a few jobs when he would measure furniture for plastic covers. Not sure what company he worked for, however, it was a good market back then. The good old times.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 02, 2015 12:00PM

the transparent plastic (vinyl) covers I got were from FINGERHUT - whatever was I thinking then

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: June 02, 2015 01:55PM

I have a lot of memories of those seat covers. While we had them in the living room, I think they were the one size fits all kind from Sears, with zippers. My dad also had them in his 1965 Chrysler Newport, and because of those seat covers, I started using seat belts. Safety was the last thing in my mind, but if you didn't wear a seat belt on a cold day, you would wind up sliding the length of the bench seat on the slick plastic.
Another funny story was with the father of a friend of mine. My friend visited his parents who promptly showed off the new plastic covers on the seats of their dining room chairs. My friend replied, in jest, aren't you worried about wearing out the wood on the back of the chair, too? His father said nothing, but the next time he visited his parents, the wood backs of the dining room chairs were covered with plastic, too!

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: June 02, 2015 06:05PM

My Dad covered up the beautiful upholstery in his 1969 Ambassador SST with that clear plastic crap and when the junkyard gave him a hundred bucks for the car in 1993, you could see through the rusted holes in the floor and trunk, but it still had that covered up upholstery that nobody had ever sat on. Nutty.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: June 02, 2015 11:42PM

I'm sure many of us remember how you would stick to your parents sofa if you were wearing shorts. Did anyone see the episode of Everyone Loves Raymond where Marie took off the plastic covers and no one would sit down on the sofa.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact