Old Rare Chicago Restaurants

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Old Rare Chicago Restaurants
Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: April 14, 2012 11:18PM

According to the 1929 Polk's Directory

There were restaurants tucked away at 859 N.Lincoln (Wolcott), 756 N.Noble & 1249 W.Chase.

If anybody knows or could find out; What were the names of those places?.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 11:19PM by Chipast.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Rare Chicago Restaurants
Date: April 15, 2012 06:39PM

[b]According to Google street view there is a storefront at that address but now. resterant now.[/b]

AD:

Date: April 15, 2012 06:43PM

[b]Back then most things were close by. There were theaters within a few blocks, taverns on the corners of most blocks and small resturants whithin a short walk. I am 75 and remember some of those days. A different world today for sure. That area was very polish and Cheq.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:44PM

Chipast,

What does the listing show in the 1929 Polk Directory?

AD:

Date: April 15, 2012 10:47PM

Rustymuscle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chipast,
>
> What does the listing show in the 1929 Polk
> Directory?

It shows in 1929 that was a resturant and a barber shop and apartements also. It looks like two buisnesses next to each other in the same building.

AD:

Date: April 16, 2012 01:24AM

Actually from what I remember. The storefront was a tavern from at least the 1960's or earlier til the 1980's. But I don't remember a restaurant being there. I actually remember that place being a double storefront tavern.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 01:30AM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:35AM

From Streetview it looks like the Chase address is the lobby of what would be a new apartment building in 1929. A lot of those apartment buildings at that time in that area had businesses on the lower floors, and many still exist.

The Noble address was just south of Chicago avenue. It looks like there is a new building there now.

The Wolcott address is the most intriguing as it is on a side street and not on a major cross street.

AD:

Date: April 16, 2012 05:18PM

At Noble nr Augusta now, THere's a former Texaco which now serves as an auto repair or towing service. I would somehow think that the restaurant was in a pretty big building.

AD:

Date: April 16, 2012 05:18PM

At Noble nr Augusta now, THere's a former Texaco which now serves as an auto repair and/or towing service. I would somehow think that the restaurant was in a pretty big building.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact