Czechs in Chicago and A Century of Progress

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Czechs in Chicago and A Century of Progress
Posted by: uva marcy ()
Date: March 27, 2012 08:23PM

I am currently writing my master's thesis on the Czech Pavilion at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. The pavilion was designed by Czech architect Kamil Roskot and reflected modern architectural trends in Czechoslovakia with a sleek facade and minimal ornamentation. The interior exhibits showcased the country's industry, traditional handicrafts and tourist sites and acted as a backdrop for Chicago's large Czech community to celebrate their heritage through demonstration of the Sokol. I argue that this dual representation was the product of the Czech government's desire to promote a forward-looking identity while the Czech-American community maintained cultural traditions that had been passed down between generations.

My first chapter discusses the establishment of the Czech community in Chicago, from its roots in Praha/Pilsen and later move to Berwyn and Lawndale, concluding with the election of Mayor Cermak and his critical role in securing Czech participation. The second chapter focuses on the fair organizer's preference for an "Old Europe" model of foreign participation, and their efforts in promoting a scheme that was largely rejected by countries that wished to promote their own advancements in science and technology. My final chapter situates the Czech pavilion within Roskot's career and broader architectural trends and analyzes its function as the official representation of the newly established government.

I have followed the forum for a while now and I hoping that the collective knowledge here may be able to help me fill in some remaining gaps. I am particularly interested in these two areas:

1) What was the reception of the Czech Pavilion in the community- what did members of the Czech community think about its design?

2) Western Electric was a central part of the Czech community-- not only did it symbolize modernity, it also enabled Czechs to establish themselves financially and purchase a single-family home. Who built it? What kind of work did they do? Were Czechs active in labor unions? Was there a sense of community within Western Electric? BerwynFrank, I saw that you have a book in the works on Western Electric, I would be grateful for any insight you might be able to provide about the buildings and work environment.

Paul Nemecek at the Genealogical Society has been immensely helpful in my research, as have the librarians at UIC, CPL and the Chicago History Museum. I do not believe I will be able to make a final research trip before my thesis is completed in May, so any input is really appreciated!

All Best,

Marcy Cameron

University of Virginia, Architectural History program

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Czechs in Chicago and A Century of Progress
Posted by: RegularGuy55 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:53PM

Marcy,

There is a collection of vintage Western Electric products in a museum at Morton College in Cicero, IL. When the same materials were on display in Morton East High School years ago, they included some observations and anecdotes by Western employees.

The CSA Museum in Oakbrook, IL may also have some useful material.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: April 29, 2012 01:34PM

Marcy,

For reference, Frank authored a book entitled Chicago's Little Village Lawndale-Crawford published by Arcadia.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/9780738577371/Chicagos-Little-Village-Lawndale-Crawford

Available at Amazon, B&N and other book outlets.

AD:

Posted by: adgorn ()
Date: April 29, 2012 09:02PM

Ideas for you -

Book to read: Manufacturing the Future by Stephen Adams

http://www.chsmedia.org:8081/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=J1367707242C3.1048&menu=search&aspect=subtab114&npp=10&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=public&ri=&index=.GW&term=western+electric&matchopt=2|0&oper=and&aspect=subtab114&index=.TW&term=&matchopt=0|0&oper=and&index=.AW&term=&matchopt=0|0&oper=and&index=.SW&term=&matchopt=0|0&ultype=&uloper=%3D&ullimit=&ultype=&uloper=%3D&ullimit=&sort=&x=15&y=9#focus

http://www.morton.edu/museum/index.html

Also a year or so ago I went to a seminar entitled "Remembering western electric"
708 442-4856 by Rosalie Guerro, Morton College Librarian. She might be a good contact.

Book entitled "Cicero: First Suburb West"

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/287.html

Are you interested in the effects of the Eastland Disaster as well?

Alan

AD:

Posted by: uva marcy ()
Date: June 07, 2012 04:24PM

Thank you all for your input-- I really appreciate it.

I've successfully completed my thesis and am working to develop it further, which will involve a research visit to Chicago in the next year. If there is interest, I would enjoy presenting my research to a small group, perhaps in conjunction with the Czech & Slovak Genealogical Society. If you are interested in attending, please shoot me an email and I will send out information as the project develops.

mfc4ta (at) virginia.edu

Thanks again for your interest and assistance!

Marcy

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact