Santa Fe Building

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Santa Fe Building
Posted by: Eddie G Hoffmann ()
Date: February 25, 2012 02:52PM

We've been having a discussion on the Face Book "Forgotten Chicago" page about the logo sign on top of the Santa Fe building. Can somebody tell us if that sign is now or ever has been illuminated?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Santa Fe Building
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:14PM

Hmm...I don't think I ever noticed either way. But, didn't the sign also have the Santa Fe's blue/white cross logo somewhere on top at one time?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:45AM

The sign WAS illuminated "Santa Fe......All The Way"

But in more modern times, Although still illuminated. But a more dull white plastic neon lighting.

It did have the blue/white cross logo to the left side.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 07:53PM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: backwardk4501 ()
Date: March 06, 2012 01:07AM

I do have a photo I found of the net of the building in the 50's or 60's....Chipast is dead on. I have 1000's of saved photos, so I will need to look for it.

AD:

Posted by: Eddie G Hoffmann ()
Date: March 07, 2012 10:38PM

By searching for night photos of Grant Park I finally did find one of Buckingham Fountain with the Santa Fe sign lite in the background. I also found one with the old circle-blue cross logo too though only a day time shot.
Thank you all for your interest in my query.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:11PM

Eddie, how about posting the photo?

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: March 12, 2012 04:05AM

I remember the sign well, from trips to the Prudential Blg and many others.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: March 12, 2012 12:16PM

I still miss the Amoco/Standard Oil sign, that one was the best.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:39PM

A sort of update,

This just in on the Landmarks Commission May agenda.

Proposal:

Proposed reface of the existing non-historic illuminated rooftop “Santa Fe” sign with new illuminated “Motorola” copy on existing structure, detailed in plans dated 3/12/12.

Staff Recommendation:

Staff recommends that the Committee find that the project, with the following condition, meets the Commission’s Guidelines for Alterations to Historic Buildings and New Construction, and Standards 9 and 10 of the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings and therefore, the project will not have an adverse effect on the significant historical and architectural features of the landmark district and approve the project with the following condition to be reviewed and approved by Historic Preservation staff:

1. As proposed, the “Motorola” copy shall be consistent with the existing “Sante Fe” copy in terms of color and illumination levels at night. Should the project scope include painting the existing metal sign structure, which is to remain, the paint color shall be a dark, nonreflective color

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:57PM

If Motorola was really cool, they'd have the replacement sign created in the company font from the '40s...

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 30, 2012 07:13PM

More on this from Lee Bey.

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/lee-bey

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:43PM

Btt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact