Street sign colors

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Street sign colors
Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: January 18, 2012 06:08PM

This photo is labeled 1951. Any thought as to why the signs are not the standard yellow background/black letters? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Press-Photo-Misleading-Street-Sign-Chicago-/260919853462?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3cc0090196

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Street sign colors
Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: January 18, 2012 09:18PM

Yes, in the 50's boulevards had brown and white signs naming them at intersections, whether it was 2 boulevards or a boulevard and a city street. At that time the Park District, which is a separate municipal corporation, maintained the boulevards and its own facilities. The park district at that time also had its own police department, originally North Parks, South Parks and West Parks. Those three merged into one department and sometime around 1955 or so they merged into the Chicago Police Department.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: March 04, 2013 07:20PM

FYI, the Park District turned over responsibility for the boulevards to the City in 1959. There were quite a few people who went to work for the City in the old Bureau of Street Traffic from the CPD. I knew the last one, Charles Muris, when I started with the sucessor Bureau of Traffic Engineering and Operations in 1983. He retired sometime in the mid-1980's.

The City uses the white-on-brown sign colors for honorary street name signs, and also makes up honorary signs for retiring CDOT employees, including your's truly.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: March 05, 2013 03:08AM

I always thought the Blvd signs were dark purple back grounds. But then I was under 10 in the 60's.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact