"Do Stop Inn" bar on 51st & Racine in the 1960's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
"Do Stop Inn" bar on 51st & Racine in the 1960's
Posted by: chgocelt ()
Date: January 13, 2012 06:10PM

We are having a discussion about the old neighborhood around Visitation and St John the Baptist and St John of God area. Does anyone remember a place called the Do Drop or Dew Drop Inn on the east side of 51st & Racine back in the 1960's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 12:11AM by chgocelt.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: "Do Drop Inn" or "Do Drop Inn" bar on 51st & Racine in the 1960's
Date: January 13, 2012 08:51PM

[b]Yes I do but never went in there. I did frequent Jake's Hop Chick Chick on the south side of 51st and a few doors west of Racine. They had Polish bands playing there. The ownwer's name was Jake and had a very large dog that hung around the bar.[/b]

AD:

Re: "Do Drop Inn" or "Do Drop Inn" bar on 51st & Racine in the 1960's
Posted by: chgocelt ()
Date: January 14, 2012 01:17AM

Good to see your post here Rich. I talked to a friend of mine tonight to see if I had the name right. She lived on 50th & Throop, she told me it wasn't Do Drop Inn, but Do STOP Inn. Some others on the Visitation facebook page were saying it was called Kelly's. My friend Pat and I both remember it as Do Stop Inn. I can still see the neon sign on Racine, with the name on it and a tilted martini glass in neon.I don't remember Jake's Hop Chick Chick. I'll have to mention it to Pat. I lived on 56th & Elizabeth. WE moved from there in 1968, when I was 21.

AD:

Re: "Do Stop Inn" bar on 51st & Racine in the 1960's
Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 01:37PM

I don't remember either of those, but I do remember a place called the "Polka Club," somewhere on Western Ave., maybe around 66th or so. They had a sign in the window that read, naturally enough, "Polka Club," with the words "Hop Czyk Czyk" underneath, which I always thought was something that people yelled when polkaing. There may have been a name of the owner along with Polka Club on the sign, and neon sign, by the way. They later moved to 60th and Central, I beleive, which had been a tavern called "The Dog House."

AD:

Date: January 14, 2012 03:44PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't remember either of those, but I do
> remember a place called the "Polka Club,"
> somewhere on Western Ave., maybe around 66th or
> so. They had a sign in the window that read,
> naturally enough, "Polka Club," with the words
> "Hop Czyk Czyk" underneath, which I always thought
> was something that people yelled when polkaing.
> There may have been a name of the owner along with
> Polka Club on the sign, and neon sign, by the way.
> They later moved to 60th and Central, I beleive,
> which had been a tavern called "The Dog House."
[b]The one on western was the Baby Doll Polka Club and moved to central behind the airport.[/b]

AD:

Date: January 14, 2012 05:41PM

Right, Baby Doll Polka Club. It came to me just as I was starting to scroll through these posts. 60th or 61st and Central was their new location, former "Dog House."

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: January 15, 2012 04:23PM

The Do Stop Inn was at 1159 W. 51st. The Baby Doll Polka Club was at 7315 S. Western. This is from a 1960 phone directory. The 1967 phone directory does not list the Do Stop Inn, but still lists the Baby Doll at the same location.

I didn't find anything for a Kelley's or Kelly's in the area. The Dog House is listed in the 1960 directory at 1540 W. 63rd. No Dog House listed in the 1967 directory...in that area.

AD:

Date: January 15, 2012 07:19PM

[b]I came from 5007 s. may street. I remember all the places around that area in the 40's that is. On the sw corner of May and 51st was Sam's hot dog and m\hamberger drive in but before that it was a shell gas station. It wasn't like the ones today as it had like a little booth attached to the house and one or two pumps. The North East corner was Walter's Barber shop and a few doors east was a Midwest Store then a bakery. On the Northwest corner of 51st and aberdeen was Max Gold Department store with a barber in the rear of the store. Across the street was a butcher shop that had live chickens and ducks ready to be killed on the spot for the customer. That's just a bit I remember about the 51st & racine area.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 12:10AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: January 16, 2012 02:38AM

The Dog House was at 60th or 61st and Central on the Southwest corner in the late 60's and early 70's. I remember it pretty well simply because I was in there one night what my car was hit and totaled by a drunk heading south on Central. Expensive night!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact