Old Town and the 1940s

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Old Town and the 1940s
Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: November 03, 2011 10:01PM

Anyone out there born in the 1940s and lived in the old town area?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Town and the 1940s
Date: November 03, 2011 11:56PM

[b]Was it called OLD TOWN in the 40's. I thought it was called that in the 60 & 70's. I used to work in that area on 1100 n. Dearborn.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 12:02AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: November 04, 2011 03:43PM

RichardStachowski, No, I don't believe it was called Old Town in the 40s. I lived right on the boundary of that area. I lived on Vine st. just north of North ave. I'm not sure why it was called that except for the buildings. Were you born in the forties and do you remember much about the area you worked in? I have old photos of the northwest corner of clark and oak and the northwest corner of what I believe to be oak and lasalle. I'll try to get them out in the next day or two.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: November 04, 2011 06:03PM

I can't tell you anything about Old Town as early as the 1940's, but it was clearly already called Old Town by the mid 1950's. The Old Town School of Folk Music opened in 1957 (originally at 333 W. North Ave.), and obviously took the name from the common name of the neighborhood where it was then located. OTSFM has moved several times since then but retained the name, even though they're now in Lincoln Square (see the "history" section of their website, www.oldtownschool.org).

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: November 05, 2011 01:22AM

My dad’s family came from the neighborhood immediately south of there that was once known as “Little Sicily” or “Little Hell”. My grandparents always referred to it as “Smokey Hollow”. In my day it was more commonly known as Cabrini-Green. Today it seems to be leveled and waiting for Old Town to grow into it (although I don’t see that happening in this economic climate).

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: November 05, 2011 06:25PM

My dad's family also lived around the Division/Orleans area in the 40s, across from Seward Park. He used to mention the 152 Theater on Division, and when he was about ten, shined Ira Hayes's shoes in a dive bar on Clark.

AD:

Date: November 05, 2011 08:04PM

WayOutWardell, Your dad didn't happen to mention the name of the bar did he.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: November 08, 2011 08:51PM

I checked a bit in the Chicago Tribune historical. The earliest reference I found on Old Town was in June, 1949, when the paper discussed something in the "Old Town Triangle."

I found earlier references to old town businesses, etc., but not located in the area known as old town.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: November 09, 2011 02:17AM

According to [i]The Encyclopedia of Chicago[/i]

[b] During World War II, Chicago's Civil Defense Agency designated the triangle bounded by North, Clark, and Ogden Avenues a neighborhood defense unit. The neighbors in this residential section of “North Town” continued their association after the war, sponsoring annual art fairs dubbed the “Old Town Holiday.” The name Old Town, evoking a cozy, neighborly spirit, persisted when residents concerned about the area's physical deterioration formed the Old Town Triangle Association in 1948. OTTA's activities inspired urban renewal throughout Lincoln Park.[/b] [u][/u]

AD:

Date: November 14, 2011 11:36PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RichardStachowski, No, I don't believe it was
> called Old Town in the 40s. I lived right on the
> boundary of that area. I lived on Vine st. just
> north of North ave. I'm not sure why it was called
> that except for the buildings. Were you born in
> the forties and do you remember much about the
> area you worked in? I have old photos of the
> northwest corner of clark and oak and the
> northwest corner of what I believe to be oak and
> lasalle. I'll try to get them out in the next day
> or two.
[b]I had worked at 1100 n. Dearborn building on58 w. maple side. I did TV service calls in that area in the early and mid 1960's. I went in manny homes there and meet many local celereties. It was a great experience working that area.[/b]

AD:

Date: November 15, 2011 02:36AM

I have been having trouble with this site and have not been able to put up the photos. Hopefully I can do this tomorrow.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact